D.J. Ivey discusses commitment

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
DJIVET.png

Last week, South Dade cornerback D.J. Ivey told CanesInSight that he thought about committing to the Hurricanes shortly after receiving his offer after at rising juniors camp. Yesterday, the 6-1, 175-pound athlete did just that.

“I just feel like it’s the right place for me to be. Whenever I’m around the coaching staff, it just feels like home,” said Ivey.

Ivey said he called Assistant Director of Player Personnel Jorge Baez to commit, followed by a conversation with safeties coach Ephraim Banda and cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph.

“They were happy for me. Coach Rumph was saying that he’s proud that I wanted to be a Cane and he’s excited to work with me. He said he can take me above and beyond my potential,” said Ivey.

Last week when Ivey received the offer, he told CanesInSight that his mother was on board with him becoming a Hurricane.

"My mom already wants me to stay home. So I know she wants me to do it,” Ivey said last Thursday.

When he committed yesterday, Ivey said his family, “was so excited for me.”

Ivey said that a big part of his commitment was the fact that Miami offered him and showed how much they wanted him as a part of the highly coveted 2018 class of defensive backs in south Florida. He added that being a lesser known commodity than the other targets in his class will motivate him to continue to improve and earn the recognition that he deserves.

Miami coaches were joking with Ivey at camp about the fact that he resembles Pittsburgh Steelers first round pick Artie Burns. For Ivey, that’s not a bad guy to get compared to.

“That’s a great a great comparison for me honestly. Hopefully I can turn into what he became,” said Ivey.

[HUDL]athlete/4754675/highlights/314803396[/HUDL]

Advertisement
Happy for the kid... just glad that last year when the staff dropped James Wiggins and the RB from South Dade, that had no effect on him...u knw aome coaches get sour and wont allow a kid to commit or entertain a school when that happens

Advertisement
I can't say it enough. This kid is legit. Got a chance to see him up close at camp and he is a freak. Will only get better

I can't say it enough. This kid is legit. Got a chance to see him up close at camp and he is a freak. Will only get better

Pete, I think this was asked before..rate the DBs in 2018 in your opinion. Ivey seems to be getting a lot of love from y'all..didn't know he was this highly regarded..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Agreed! Only a matter of time before this kid blows up. As far as the Burns comparison, I can see it from a purely athletic standpoint as the kid is a freak. Ivey however has the opportunity to be more polished as a CB by the time he enrolls than Artie was. Very high ceiling here.

Kid has speed to burn from his highlight.

The only thing I'd like to see a bit more of is being more physical. He's a big kid, has to be a bit more aggressive.

Advertisement
Back