D’Angelo Ponds JMU CB (via Chaminade) Commits to Indiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people here know nothing about JMU’. It’s a very good program that plays good ball , has good players and isn’t playing the sisters of the poor. They were ranked in FBS as high as 18th.
Mickey Matthews of Andrews, TX laid a great foundation.

Advertisement
Not one of them watched one video. It’s sad no one has invented YouTube or anything to help inform a take
Facts mf asked if he could tackle bro had more tackles than any UM LB from Shaq to Kiko😂😂😂 not knowing dude plays D1 ball an has 55 tackles only on CIS. Our of everyone in the portal bro ranked #1 but naa he's not good enough for us an our 12 win In 2 years Hurricanes smfh all it takes is one idiot an the rest follow it never fails

Facts mf asked if he could tackle bro had more tackles than any UM LB from Shaq to Kiko😂😂😂 not knowing dude plays D1 ball an has 55 tackles only on CIS. Our of everyone in the portal bro ranked #1 but naa he's not good enough for us an our 12 win In 2 years Hurricanes smfh all it takes is one idiot an the rest follow it never fails
I’m a fan of Ponds and want him, but where is this #1 portal ranking stuff coming from? Are we just basing that on assuming he’s our top target?

Yeah transfer portal rankings just make zero sense to me. They haven’t refined how to properly calculate the improvement (or drop) a player undergoes once they hit college. Cormani is a perfect example; guy is living off his HS ranking when clearly the lack of offers and interest signal otherwise.

On3 at least bumps his overall from an 83 to a 90, factoring in significant improvement based on his HS ranking into becoming a Freshman All-American.

IMG_4622.jpeg

He’s the top corner available imo, and amongst the top overall in terms of portal DBs that have entered.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah transfer portal rankings just make zero sense to me. They haven’t refined how to properly calculate the improvement (or drop) a player undergoes once they hit college. Cormani is a perfect example; guy is living off his HS ranking when clearly the lack of offers and interest signal otherwise.

On3 at least bumps his overall from an 83 to a 90, factoring in significant improvement based on his HS ranking into becoming a Freshman All-American.

View attachment 288852

He’s the top corner available imo, and amongst the top overall in terms of portal DBs that have entered.
100%

Transfer rankings are were HS rankings were circa 2005. It will become more accurate in the next 2 years, as On3 and others shift to realizing this is now the premier offseason click driver. ESD cannibalized NSD, the portal is devouring the final scraps of that corpse.

This is actually a boon for those businesses, because spring ball is not a driver of content. They’ll begin building internal player databases that rank each player in CFB, simply to be relevant in the event any player hits the portal. Once compiled, it’ll make the analysis/predictions even easier than HS, because you have live games against CFB opponents. The in person costs are thrown out the window as well, so you have more accurate predictions with less financial investment.

The portal, as it currently exists, will become NBA free agency, and player rankings won’t be playing catch up in a few years.

Advertisement
Transfer portal rankings are so bad.
Well I only looked at 247, and i get it is not easy with all the portal entries. With that said you cant put a Julian Sayin or Aiden Charles above Cam Ward. You just cant.

Isaiah Bond shouldnt be the top WR either imo. I say Evan Stewart and Juice Wells should be above him.

Jadon Zandamela above Cam Ward, above Nic Scourton, above all these proven players?

Lunacy.

This is just semantics, and I pretty much agree with your overall point (I’m just trying to get to 2,000 posts this weekend) - but it’s hard to say a kid was “under the radar” when he went to a high school that produced a dozen D1 kids, including the #1 player in the country, last cycle.

Kid was forced to live in Missouri for a year, mostly due to his size, I guess. I’d say being named freshman all-American (It’d be nice to add a 3rd one of those to our infinity gauntlet) was enough to show everyone.
For me it points out how kids fall through the cracks STILL if you count on the assessments of scouting services. People will say this is bad evaluations by staffs & no argument in that. Bigger picture though schools more often than not decide who they should evaluate based on those independent rankings unless someone flashes or is pointed out. A kid with these measurements has a lot against him unless he can get some people in his corner.

Advertisement
This is just semantics, and I pretty much agree with your overall point (I’m just trying to get to 2,000 posts this weekend) - but it’s hard to say a kid was “under the radar” when he went to a high school that produced a dozen D1 kids, including the #1 player in the country, last cycle.

I mean...you can SAY this...but even Ponds will tell you that NOBODY recruited him. He just said the same thing to one of the websites.

I mean...you can SAY this...but even Ponds will tell you that NOBODY recruited him. He just said the same thing to one of the websites.
Even now when you look at his offers. Kid shows all of these mid to basic schools for his top whatever. Us and usc are really his only two legit options. The best of the rest is what puke,gt, wake etc. this kid if you look at his game and take the rest out of the equation, everyone should be after this kid. But they're not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back