2022 Cyrus Moss - DEFENSIVE END - COMMITS!

Advertisement
He was the best available for USC, but he had all the same advantages at Oklahoma that he has now in a similar spot with a weak conference and couldn’t do squat against big boy teams. I don’t really know if that changes at USC.
Idk about this take. At OU he had to deal with Texas and Alabama (and sometimes LSU) invading and poaching TX HS football talent.

Now does Bama grab kids from Cali, at times yes, but do they get as many kids from Cali as they do from TX.....not even close. Proximity matters even if you're Bama....especially when a guy like Lincoln Riley comes to Los Angeles. Riley will likely land 10-12 out of the top 15 kids in Cali annually....you can just about call it done for the Mater Dei kids

Bama all but had the 5* corner signed sealed and delivered....until Riley went to USC and flipped him.

Riley at USC is going to be a problem.....I think the world has forgotten what happens when the Cali kids stay in Cali....similar to what happens when the SFLA/FL kids stay in SFLA/FL

Advertisement
Idk about this take. At OU he had to deal with Texas and Alabama (and sometimes LSU) invading and poaching TX HS football talent.

Now does Bama grab kids from Cali, at times yes, but do they get as many kids from Cali as they do from TX.....not even close. Proximity matters even if you're Bama....especially when a guy like Lincoln Riley comes to Los Angeles. Riley will likely land 10-12 out of the top 15 kids in Cali annually....you can just about call it done for the Mater Dei kids

Bama all but had the 5* corner signed sealed and delivered....until Riley went to USC and flipped him.

Riley at USC is going to be a problem.....I think the world has forgotten what happens when the Cali kids stay in Cali....similar to what happens when the SFLA/FL kids stay in SFLA/FL
Instead he now only has a proximity advantage for one state that produces anything. He won’t be able to fill a roster of only WestCoast kids and win in the CFP. Before he was in the middle of the country and at a national brand. I just don’t see too much of a difference. It’s why Mario I think can be more successful. He can recruit nationally but most of it can be from where he is at and neighboring states that also produce a crap ton of talent.

Instead he now only has a proximity advantage for one state that produces anything. He won’t be able to fill a roster of only WestCoast kids and win in the CFP. Before he was in the middle of the country and at a national brand. I just don’t see too much of a difference. It’s why Mario I think can be more successful. He can recruit nationally but most of it can be from where he is at and neighboring states that also produce a crap ton of talent.
i don’t understand how Cali is less a proximity state to other places than Florida is to other places?

Advertisement
It’s not close to other states that have as much talent.
I guess that’s true but he does have a brand onto himself in the middle of the country to get linemen and we are after 5-10 west coast guys right now so there+are a lot of players. I think at its best USC is a better place than OK and he’s gonna do well there

I guess that’s true but he does have a brand onto himself in the middle of the country to get linemen and we are after 5-10 west coast guys right now so there+are a lot of players. I think at its best USC is a better place than OK and he’s gonna do well there
I think he will too, but I don’t think being at USC gives him anything he didn’t have at Oklahoma as far as beating teams in the CFP.

People forget how big Cali is and how many good players they produce. Lastly, 😂 at SC not having the recruiting reach to stack talent enough to win in the CFP. 😂

Advertisement

i don’t understand how Cali is less a proximity state to other places than Florida is to other places?

Oklahoma is basically the University of North Texas, geographically. That's where they pull from, as well as nationally because they are a successful program. But they have very little in-state to work with. They also have to deal with Texas, TAMU, LSU and the rest of the SEC, and OSU and ND etc who recruit TX well.

USC is in the most populous state, and the 3rd best state in America for recruiting. They have no legitimate in-state recruiting competition. UCLA, CAL, SDST, etc will almost never, ever beat USC for a top kid when USC is doing well. The closest competitive program is Oregon which is 900 miles away. That's farther away than Washington DC is from Orlando. And of course USC is located in LA... Hollywood in people's eyes... they draw well nationally too when they are rolling.

Miami on the other hand, is like the handle of an umbrella... nothing to the south, but you open the umbrella and every spoke that fans out is an SEC team hovering over us a state or two away (and two national programs in-state) or a national program like OSU throwing legit resources at us.

USC really has it good. Besides Oregon I'd say the closest threat they have is literally Oklahoma and Texas which are like 1400 miles away from LA.

Last edited:
Just touching on your first point, Cali is right up there is FL and TX as the most fertile recruiting grounds. Kids out west rarely come east. Could you imagine if Miami never had to worry about FSU or UF in Florida? What other Cali school is going to take kids from USC if Riley gets them humming? Yes maybe a few stay at UCLA or Cal, but not in the same stratosphere as what we deal with in Florida.

Now you look at Oklahoma, not a fertile rich recruiting area, so you are going into other people's territory and honestly where do you go? You try south you deal with Miami, Fla, UGA, Bama, LSU, UT Tex AM, you head east you have clemson, you go north you get Ohio State, Mich, and Penn you get west of the Mississippi who are you competing with kids for? Washington? ASU? Utah? Not really Oregon anymore unless Lanning can keep up the pace, yes the top kids always have suitors but not like when they are driving distance.

Advertisement
If that's the case, why was Pete Carroll so dominant at USC? Furthest Riley needs to come out of Cali is Texas and he ALREADY has recruiting ties there from his time at OU.

Mario does have access to the GA and Southeastern talent base, which is a big deal....BUT....outside of FL, he has to go into GA and beat UGA for kids, which is not an easy thing to do, even when you're Mario.

Riley will not have the competition for Cali kids like Mario will have for Southeastern kids. Riley might lose one here or there to Oregon but outside of that, he's locking Cali down with a key and throwing it away.

I get it, but what I’m saying is if he only locks down parts of Cali it’s not enough to win in the CFP and I still don’t think and it is of course it’s my opinion that the resources he had a Oklahoma compared to USC are going to land him anymore top kids from other areas than he did at Oklahoma. Time will tell but he had an easy schedule and more talent than any other team in his conference and still couldn’t win the big games.

Last edited:
I get it, but what I’m saying is if he only locks down parts of Cali it’s not enough to win in the CFP and I still don’t think and it is of course it’s my opinion that the resources he had a Oklahoma compared to USC are going to land him anymore top kids from other areas than he did at Oklahoma. Time will tell but he had an easy schedule and more talent than any other team in his conference and still couldn’t win the big games.
Yeah, you are underrating Cali talent tremendously. Also, SC is without a doubt a bigger draw being in LA and having its alumni network than Oklahoma is in Norman. Ultimately though, Cali locked down as it has proven in the past, can sport some ridiculously talented teams.

Oklahoma is basically the University of North Texas, geographically. That's where they pull from, as well as nationally because they are a successful program. But they have very little in-state to work with. They also have to deal with Texas, TAMU, LSU and the rest of the SEC, and OSU and ND etc who recruit TX well.

USC is in the most populous state, and the 3rd best state in America for recruiting. They have no legitimate in-state recruiting competition. UCLA, CAL, SDST, etc will almost never, ever beat USC for a top kid when USC is doing well. The closest competitive program is Oregon which is 900 miles away. That's farther away than Washington DC is from Orlando. And of course USC is located in LA... Hollywood in people's eyes... they draw well nationally too when they are rolling.

Miami on the other hand, is like the handle of an umbrella... nothing to the south, but you open the umbrella every spoke that fans out is an SEC team hovering over us a state or two away (and two national programs in-state) or a national program like OSU throwing legit resources at us.

USC really has it good. Besides Oregon I'd say the closest threat they have is literally Oklahoma and Texas which are like 1400 miles away from LA.
PREACH

Advertisement
Back