Current Canes NFL comparison plus General QB Draft Talk regarding D. King

Canesnation40

Recruit
Banned
Let's start with QB1: He reminds me of smaller Russell Wilson with less pocket mobility and a lot more elusiveness, break tackle ability, and game speed. Top 10 talent.

Cam'Ron Harris reminds me of former U back Clinton Portis. 4th round talent in the modern NFL. One cut back superstar. I haven't seen much as a receiver.

Jaelan Phillips reminds me of Jason Taylor. 1st round talent.

Bubba Bolden reminds me of a skinny Derwin James with more speed and coverage ability. 2nd round talent.

Brevin Jordan reminds me of Antonio Gates. Top 15 talent.

Will Mallory reminds me of former U TE Jeremy Shockley. 3rd round talent. I need to see more pass-catching skills but the raw ability is there. Stockley had both.

Jose Borregales reminds me of a tatted up Matt Elam. He's an extremely skilled and gifted kicker. 20-25 year pro. 5th round draft grade.

While Louis Hedley does not remind me of any NFL punter, he does have an NFL future to me, although I am not sure he will be drafted. I do think he has an excellent talent base for a more raw punter.

Phillips, Jordan, and King are the three best NFL prospects for the Canes. King isn't getting any NFL love right now but should. Wilson wasn't on draft boards outside of a late-round guy either going into his RS(SR) year. Considering the modern NFL, King will shoot up the boards as the Canes have success. This might be the best top 4 QB in many years with Lawrence, Fields, Lance, and King. I even like the 2nd rounder in Newman.

Lawrence is not the best QB I've ever evaluated or close. He is simply the most gifted, blessed, and talented but his tape is 1st rounder good tape which is better than guys like Mahomes but I actually liked Watson and Wilson tape more and I knew both were going to take time. The bet with Lawrence is, when you are that **** talented if you are put into a super system, he will produce with no issues like Mahomes. He is much further along than Mahomes as a prospect but will he land in a good situation is more important than your actual ability.

I really loved Luck's tape. For their style of play, RG3 and Cam Newton were insane tape wise. The best tape of this year's class is Trey Lance. He kinda reminds you of Ryan Tannehill athletically but bigger and his skill, talent, and tape rivals Luck. He is the best player in this draft. Ahead of our DE Rousseau and Chase. I haven't seen the OL from Oregon. Fields has tremendous tape, he is clearly an NFL talent but he's more near King than Lawrence or Lance. He is more of a system guy like Watson was and while he's better at the same stage as Watson, Watson is a gamer.

Fields is more of natural talent and a well-coached kid but you want to see more QBing skills from him that you see from King. Burrow probably had the best tape I've seen as a college QB. Like King, being an older QB comes with a lot of QB perks that Trevor and Justin need to improve in and Trey is from another planet and redshirting as well as playing against lesser comp is helping him in development ways as well. Also like King, their natural talent is impressive but it's nothing overwhelming as a QB.

Neither of them has Aaron Rodgers talent. Clearly don't have Trevor Lawrence talent. Elway and Lawrence are the most talented QB's to ever play football but King/Burrow are talented as heck, extremely smart QBs who don't take bad risks and know when to run or pass and both are **** on opposing defenses. Both have the rare ability to throw receivers open often (yes, they can miss, no one is perfect) and not put them in harm's way. Both have tremendous accuracy and you must respect both running game as well as their passing game. King is the lesser of the two due to his lack of even minimal size but is by far the most dynamic athlete of the two and in today's spread game, King is a system monster whereas Burrow, you kinda feel he could play in any system just as long as there are spread elements involved to showcase his mindset and skills.

I think King is special. I thought he was special when he was at Houston and I live in Houston so I watched every game. I watched most games of NC State when I used to live in the South and Russell Wilson always stood out to me and I vouched for him when many felt Baseball was his best route. If you are drafting a QB. Last year was great if you landed Tua or Burrow. So-so with Herbert and keep moving for the others. The year before that was a skip year. The year before that, I loved and touted Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson. I was high on Josh Allen and I did not like Darnold or Rosen at felt Rosen was a relic.

The year before that, I was all in on Watson, so-so on Trubisky and honestly, looked at Mahomes and Kizer similarily. Both exceptional talents that needed a lot to be good QB's in the NFL. Both are system guys too but Kizer never really fit any NFL system and Mahomes was literally the perfect fit for Andy Reid's system. Mahomes made me realize that talent can be enough if it's all based on throwing the football. He was so wild mechanically it was insane as a prospect. Vick had much cleaner mechanics and he needed a full year to me from the film. What's crazy is I was shocked and angered that Mahomes was drafted ahead of Watson and teams always overshoot for tall white trash QBs so Trubisky didn't bother me as much. Just being honest, looks like the Chiefs were right in their assessment.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was this a joke? I know we’re supposed to hate FSU players but u can’t say Bubba B is better at coverage than Derwin lol
You might be right on James but I am clearly not joking. I put a lot of time into this *******. We can disagree without being rude to each other.

Advertisement
He also called him Stockley LOL
1600893096939.png

Advertisement
D'Eriq King...he's got a better arm, but seeing him bounce around the pocket like a rubber ball and scramble for big yardage while keeping his head up, making something out of nothing when the play breaks down while just having garbage laying all over the field looks like Seneca Wallace.

Watching Brevin Jordan in the first two weeks in this offense and then watching the Titans on Sunday...Jonnu Smith. Tell me I'm lying.

Let's start with QB1: He reminds me of smaller Russell Wilson with less pocket mobility and a lot more elusiveness, break tackle ability, and game speed. Top 10 talent.

Cam'Ron Harris reminds me of former U back Clinton Portis. 4th round talent in the modern NFL. One cut back superstar. I haven't seen much as a receiver.

Jaelan Phillips reminds me of Jason Taylor. 1st round talent.

Bubba Bolden reminds me of a skinny Derwin James with more speed and coverage ability. 2nd round talent.

Brevin Jordan reminds me of Antonio Gates. Top 15 talent.

Will Mallory reminds me of former U TE Jeremy Shockley. 3rd round talent. I need to see more pass-catching skills but the raw ability is there. Stockley had both.

Jose Borregales reminds me of a tatted up Matt Elam. He's an extremely skilled and gifted kicker. 20-25 year pro. 5th round draft grade.

While Louis Hedley does not remind me of any NFL punter, he does have an NFL future to me, although I am not sure he will be drafted. I do think he has an excellent talent base for a more raw punter.

Phillips, Jordan, and King are the three best NFL prospects for the Canes. King isn't getting any NFL love right now but should. Wilson wasn't on draft boards outside of a late-round guy either going into his RS(SR) year. Considering the modern NFL, King will shoot up the boards as the Canes have success. This might be the best top 4 QB in many years with Lawrence, Fields, Lance, and King. I even like the 2nd rounder in Newman.

Lawrence is not the best QB I've ever evaluated or close. He is simply the most gifted, blessed, and talented but his tape is 1st rounder good tape which is better than guys like Mahomes but I actually liked Watson and Wilson tape more and I knew both were going to take time. The bet with Lawrence is, when you are that **** talented if you are put into a super system, he will produce with no issues like Mahomes. He is much further along than Mahomes as a prospect but will he land in a good situation is more important than your actual ability.

I really loved Luck's tape. For their style of play, RG3 and Cam Newton were insane tape wise. The best tape of this year's class is Trey Lance. He kinda reminds you of Ryan Tannehill athletically but bigger and his skill, talent, and tape rivals Luck. He is the best player in this draft. Ahead of our DE Rousseau and Chase. I haven't seen the OL from Oregon. Fields has tremendous tape, he is clearly an NFL talent but he's more near King than Lawrence or Lance. He is more of a system guy like Watson was and while he's better at the same stage as Watson, Watson is a gamer.

Fields is more of natural talent and a well-coached kid but you want to see more QBing skills from him that you see from King. Burrow probably had the best tape I've seen as a college QB. Like King, being an older QB comes with a lot of QB perks that Trevor and Justin need to improve in and Trey is from another planet and redshirting as well as playing against lesser comp is helping him in development ways as well. Also like King, their natural talent is impressive but it's nothing overwhelming as a QB.

Neither of them has Aaron Rodgers talent. Clearly don't have Trevor Lawrence talent. Elway and Lawrence are the most talented QB's to ever play football but King/Burrow are talented as heck, extremely smart QBs who don't take bad risks and know when to run or pass and both are **** on opposing defenses. Both have the rare ability to throw receivers open often (yes, they can miss, no one is perfect) and not put them in harm's way. Both have tremendous accuracy and you must respect both running game as well as their passing game. King is the lesser of the two due to his lack of even minimal size but is by far the most dynamic athlete of the two and in today's spread game, King is a system monster whereas Burrow, you kinda feel he could play in any system just as long as there are spread elements involved to showcase his mindset and skills.

I think King is special. I thought he was special when he was at Houston and I live in Houston so I watched every game. I watched most games of NC State when I used to live in the South and Russell Wilson always stood out to me and I vouched for him when many felt Baseball was his best route. If you are drafting a QB. Last year was great if you landed Tua or Burrow. So-so with Herbert and keep moving for the others. The year before that was a skip year. The year before that, I loved and touted Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson. I was high on Josh Allen and I did not like Darnold or Rosen at felt Rosen was a relic.

The year before that, I was all in on Watson, so-so on Trubisky and honestly, looked at Mahomes and Kizer similarily. Both exceptional talents that needed a lot to be good QB's in the NFL. Both are system guys too but Kizer never really fit any NFL system and Mahomes was literally the perfect fit for Andy Reid's system. Mahomes made me realize that talent can be enough if it's all based on throwing the football. He was so wild mechanically it was insane as a prospect. Vick had much cleaner mechanics and he needed a full year to me from the film. What's crazy is I was shocked and angered that Mahomes was drafted ahead of Watson and teams always overshoot for tall white trash QBs so Trubisky didn't bother me as much. Just being honest, looks like the Chiefs were right in their assessment.
Wow you have to see more from Mallory as a pass catcher....now that is funny. Mallory is not Bervin my any imagination but the 1 thing he does do better then Bevin is catch the ball with his hands. Go back and look at film and you wss I'll see Bevin is not a nature catcher of the ball with his hands, he is more if a body catcher.

Advertisement
ok...

-Phillips hasn't shown pass-rush consistency yet to compare him to JT. He's a good run-defender.
-Bubba is slightly lighter than Derwin but does not have the coverage ability, versatility, or physicality that he has/had. Besides his coverage on Tutu, we haven't gotten a good sense of Bubba's speed. I'd actually like to see Bubba used closer to the LOS more.
-Brevin is not Gates LOL. Like @BoxingRobes said, he's similar to Jonnu Smith. I also think he's comparable to the Rams TE, Gerald Everett, although he's not a natural hands-catcher.
-Mallory is more Olsen than Shockey. Smaller frame, moves like a WR, YAC ability, etc.

Best NFL prospects are Bubba, Cam, and Phillips. While King has impressed, he does not have the arm talent as a RW. I just don't get that natural QB feeling that I got from a Luck, Wilson, Wentz, Deshaun, Kyler, etc. I'll wait until this seasons over but from what he's shown at Houston and in his short stint with us, he's still a Day 3 kind of guy. More than likely just a great college QB.

Developments like Mahomes are always amazing to witness. He was so undisciplined in college. Mechanics were all over the place; someone compared his play at Texas Tech to playing backyard football. That arm was/is undeniable and he fell into the perfect situation.

Last edited:
ok...

-Phillips hasn't shown pass-rush consistency yet to compare him to JT. He's a good run-defender.
-Bubba is slightly lighter than Derwin but does not have the coverage ability, versatility, or physicality that he has/had. Besides his coverage on Tutu, we haven't gotten a good sense of Bubba's speed. I'd actually like to see Bubba used closer to the LOS more.
-Brevin is not Gates LOL. Like @BoxingRobes said, he's similar to Jonnu Smith. I also think he's comparable to the Rams TE, Gerald Everett, although he's not a natural hands-catcher.
-Mallory is more Olsen than Shockey. Smaller frame, moves like a WR, YAC ability, etc.

Best NFL prospects are Bubba, Cam, and Phillips. While King has impressed, he does not have the arm talent as a RW. I just don't get that natural QB feeling that I got from a Luck, Wilson, Wentz, Deshaun, Kyler, etc. I'll wait until this seasons over but from what he's shown at Houston and in his short stint with us, he's still a Day 3 kind of guy. More than likely just a great college QB.

Developments like Mahomes are always amazing to witness. He was so undisciplined in college. Mechanics were all over the place; someone compared his play at Texas Tech to playing backyard football. That arm was/is undeniable and he fell into the perfect situation.
Russell didn't have Russell's current arm talent at NC State or WISC either. That said, it's really hard to know that a QB will improve that much in the NFL. So many guys don't like Baker Mayfield and then you got guys who do like Russell Wilson and Tom Brady. I think having an insane chip on their shoulders helps too. Both weren't 1st rounders.

I can see that about Phillips. He really hasn't shown that. I was just comparing their size, speed, and tools. Obviously, if he's like JT, he's a top 5 pick right now.

I can see that with Bubba. I knew I reached on that one.

LOL, I like his talent, size, catch radius, and potential a lot more than Jonnu Smith. Obviously, I am not saying he will be a HOF off the rip.

I can see that for Mallory. I really can. Olsen is a great comparison to be honest. That stiff arm was so nasty, it reminded me of Shock v. the Texans in the preseason in the HOF game.

I disagree on King. I have been fighting that King is a 1st rounder for years now. I've been good at it for the most part. I've missed on Mayfield. I felt he was the best QB in his class and should be the #1 pick. He was but he hasn't proved me right. Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have proved me right. A lot of idiots was trying to tell me Lamar is a WR faking the funk at QB.

I really like King's arm talent. It's exactly like Burrow's who just had the best college season of all time. I actually like his arm talent more than I liked Wilson's as a prospect. That said, Wilson arm talent in 2020 is much better than it was as a prospect but Russ always had insane talent and he always had the football IQ which he showcased at NC State. You really have to watch all of his film, All-22. You will realize King's ability mentally is just as insane as his talent.

For me, there is a massive gap between day 3 and 1st round guy as a QB. I am not sure how you see it but that's how I see it.

Mahomes wasn't a very good QB prospect. He was all arm talent mixed with some mobility and he wasn't even trained a Football kid. He was a trained baseball kid. But his mental strength was much better than expected. His Football IQ which still can still be lacking and his mobility were much stronger than expected. His arm strength and accuracy were MUCH MUCH better than expected. He is just one of those guys like Brett Favre where they are born Football players even if their readiness is low compared to others who been training all of their life like Kyle Wright, Kevin Olsen, or Brock Berlin but their ceiling is superior as well. Like Giannis or Embiid.

A lot of teams over the years tried to draft guys like Mahomes, Favre, and Rodgers and have missed almost every **** time. Remember Kyle Boller for example.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Braxton Berrios = Julian Edelman. Or Wes Welker.
In all fairness, In the New England system, how good with Berrios look is a legit question. Berrios is making things happen in NYJ with trash *** Darnold.

Wow you have to see more from Mallory as a pass catcher....now that is funny. Mallory is not Bervin my any imagination but the 1 thing he does do better then Bevin is catch the ball with his hands. Go back and look at film and you wss I'll see Bevin is not a nature catcher of the ball with his hands, he is more if a body catcher.
I wasn't comparing Mallory to Brevin. I was comparing him to Jeremy S.

Advertisement
Back