Current 75 player roster and possible NCAA penalties?

texacane

Freshman
Can anyone explain the numbers and effect of potential scholarship reductions (based on probable penalty reduction numbers) over possible penalty years and how all that relates to what appears to be self-imposed scholarship reductions?

(Bernie, you need not reply.)

Advertisement
No one can guess till the NCAA gives us our sanctions. I hope for time served but I don't trust the NCAA that I worry wants to bury us again.

Penn State is just feeling the effects of their scholarship reductions now. Last year PSU fans thought they would be able to still play quality football even with those sanctions and now reality is catching up with them.

Scholarship reductions really kill you. Ask USC. It just eats up your depth, eats up your ability to RS guys, puts a ton of pressure on your recruiting classes to bat 1000.

Anything more than 6 or so would really Eff up our mojo and would require a very ungoldenlike deed to be done, which would be really pushing out the dead weight to the extreme.

Scholarship reductions really kill you. Ask USC. It just eats up your depth, eats up your ability to RS guys, puts a ton of pressure on your recruiting classes to bat 1000.

Anything more than 6 or so would really Eff up our mojo and would require a very ungoldenlike deed to be done, which would be really pushing out the dead weight to the extreme.

What do mean Golden would have to push out the dead weight to the extreme? Porsters have said Golden doesn't do that and that all kids leave on their own? That's 100% factual!

You don't mean to tell me that good HC's at top programs push dead weight elsewhere?

USC sucks because they had a terrible coach and their QBs are mediocre, mostly the 1st reason though. Lets just compare current Miami vs current USC:

Total Scholarships:
Miami: 75
USC: 74

Total Upperclassmen:
Miami: 33
USC: 32

Advertisement

USC sucks because they had a terrible coach and their QBs are mediocre, mostly the 1st reason though. Lets just compare current Miami vs current USC:

Total Scholarships:

Total Upperclassmen:

This is very true.....
The only positive about SC was that Kiffin, albeit a terrible coach, was an elite recruiter. He recruited like an animal even with the penalties, and not every school will be able to recruit so well with those types of penalties. A competent coach with that roster would and should win 9 games, but it will still be a couple years before they can get back to being elite, and that is if everything else goes well. They still have major depth problems, kinda like us, but their frontlines are no joke.

First, thank you for your input.

Second, please read the post. The question concerns whether the 75 player current roster (if representing self-imposed scholarship limits) can (as in: are able) to be considered in offsetting possible future NCAA-imposed scholarship limits?

Third: The post also concerns estimates of applied timing of limits (that is: the future, cumulative nature of scholarship reductions over time) and whether and how if the self - imposed limitations count, what your estimate might be as to the future effect of various numbers of limits over time that may be ncaa imposed., and

Finally, hey, 5X I've read your posts here (and on the old grassy board) for years, and have enjoyed your insights. So please take this with the humor intended:

"There are no stupid questions...only stupid people."

Peace Out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-imposed sanctions always count.

For the 1995 season, Miami self-imposed 7 initial scholarships, and 5 total off the limit of 85. The COI hit Miami with an additional 13 initial scholarships for 1996 and 11 initial scholarships for 1997, with the total number of scholarships cut by 5 for each of those years. That is not the norm these days, as the number of cut initial scholarships typically matches the number cut from the total allotment.

Miami will get credit for any self-imposed scholarship reductions. Depending on the number self-imposed in comparison to what the COI decided, Miami could get extra credit, which would actually mitigate the penalty the COI thought was appropriate. South Carolina mitigated its penalties in their recent and avoided a postseason ban that the COI was going to otherwise impose as a sanction.

Scholarship reductions really kill you. Ask USC.

All the media suck asses, who don't want to criticize corches, have spread this nonsense about USC being crippled by sanctions. They were crippled by *****in, but there's only a few in the media with the sack to stand up and say that. The rest spread the sanctions propaganda in order to keep it extra classy.

Advertisement

Total Scholarships:

Total Upperclassmen:

This is very true.....
The only positive about SC was that Kiffin, albeit a terrible coach, was an elite recruiter. He recruited like an animal even with the penalties, and not every school will be able to recruit so well with those types of penalties. A competent coach with that roster would and should win 9 games, but it will still be a couple years before they can get back to being elite, and that is if everything else goes well. They still have major depth problems, kinda like us, but their frontlines are no joke.
No he wasn't.

Scholarship reductions really kill you. Ask USC.

All the media suck asses, who don't want to criticize corches, have spread this nonsense about USC being crippled by sanctions. They were crippled by *****in, but there's only a few in the media with the sack to stand up and say that. The rest spread the sanctions propaganda in order to keep it extra classy.

Elegantly presented post in typical Franchisian prose.

I really like what we are doing here. With Mustafaa gone we are now at 74 I believe. I expect Perryman to go pro so we are losing about 20 kids to graduation/NFL this year. Now we are at 54. If the report in the Herald awhile back was accurate (we self imposed 5 ships), realistically what is the worst thing that can happen in terms of additional ships? I would say the worst case is 15 more.....likely only 10 more (cause 10 more is basically saying 15 total is what they felt was fair.....15 is really 20).

If you assume the worst and divide it as 5 per year for three years we are playing at 80. So with EE you can bring in 26 this year having at least 6 count backward to last year since I think only 16 made it in August, so you have 20 count now which would be the limit and we are right at 80. 26 kids is a very healthy sized class and most of our starters at least on D are young so they will be here a couple more years. Actually we could prolly bring in closer to 29 with further attrition which will happen, so long as we can get as much EE as possible...up to 9.

We will be fine IMO even at 15 more....which I doubt will happen. I'm thinking about 10 more which is nothing. OSU lost 9 and they haven't felt a thing. And honestly as we get more ballers in there will be more attrition by kids that know they won't be able to play. With guys like Chad Thomas, Trent Harris, D. Jackson, Valentine, prolly Moten, another JUCO DT (Wyche or that UK commit), Stuckey, Jenkins etc., you have basically replaced the two deep for the whole DL, so guys like Hoilett, Corey King etc. will likely transfer. Same is likely true for Blue if we are bringing in 4 stud backers (Young, Smith, Owens etc.) and Hope could also transfer next year since he already got passed by several guys younger than him who he likely will never catch up to (Tracy, AC, Artie, Corn).

Al has this planned out beautifully.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Maybe I miscounted, but I count 77 scholie players. Did you include two kickers? Also remember that two of our scholies will probably be awarded to 2 of our current walk-on kickers (Bacon & Barnard.)

Maybe I miscounted, but I count 77 scholie players. Did you include two kickers? Also remember that two of our scholies will probably be awarded to 2 of our current walk-on kickers (Bacon & Barnard.)

We are actually at 74 now. Not sure who you counted that isn't on a football scholarship anymore.

Advertisement

We are not going to give 2 scholarships to walk on kickers who have never appeared in a game. There may be a very small chance that 1 of them gets a ship if they win the punting job next year. If a walk on gets a scholarship, it's most likely going to be Fentress.

corching was USC's biggest problem.

Advertisement
Back