Culture change

sstcane

Sophomore
Premium
If Ed Reed can do anything for the program I hope that he helps the team understand what it takes to be a championship team.

We’ve all heard stories of how the team held each other accountable, out worked other programs and cared so much about winning.

I haven’t liked the body language for years on the sidelines. I also hate how we play to the competition instead of dominating on the field.

I loved Jeff Thomas’s and Jarren Williams talent. But I think the fact that their behaviour off the field was allowed can kill the culture. I think Manny really needs to focus on that in order for the program to really get back to a Championship level.

Advertisement
The players have the power now. If the culture is to change, the players will have to lead the way.

Advertisement
No more knuckleheads!!! There is a difference between a kid that makes a mistake and a kid that is consistently displaying bad judgement. Idiots on these boards think its the samething but its not.

Thats why I would stay away from kids like Terrence Lewis. Obviously Dmoney is more connected to the program than most of us but he said something last podcast that was iffy. He said that Troutman and Johnson both have anger issues that may cause them not to see the field. Now that might be hyperbole but if thats truly the case dont waste the scholarships.

If Ed Reed can do anything for the program I hope that he helps the team understand what it takes to be a championship team.

We’ve all heard stories of how the team held each other accountable, out worked other programs and cared so much about winning.

I haven’t liked the body language for years on the sidelines. I also hate how we play to the competition instead of dominating on the field.

I loved Jeff Thomas’s and Jarren Williams talent. But I think the fact that their behaviour off the field was allowed can kill the culture. I think Manny really needs to focus on that in order for the program to really get back to a Championship level.

Can we please stop fetishizing the past already? Those teams were loaded with NFL talent. That's why they won, period. They could've and probably should've lost multiple games to inferior opponents, but they were just so much better they could just turn it on at any time...and they knew it. Why do you think Ed Reed had to give that "I'm hurt dog!" speech? Stop looking at the past through orange and green glasses. We were down 17-14 in the 4th at Rutgers in 2002. Where was the team that cared so much about winning then? We let a 2-7 LaTech team score 31 on us at home in 2000, which is what kept us from playing OU for the title that year. We needed a ******* miracle to beat BC in 2001, and a dropped 2pt conversion is the only thing that kept us from having to go to overtime at VT. Anyone else remember 17-7 at half against TROY at HOME? 21-14 at Temple in the 2nd quarter? Just stop.

Advertisement
Can we please stop fetishizing the past already? Those teams were loaded with NFL talent. That's why they won, period. They could've and probably should've lost multiple games to inferior opponents, but they were just so much better they could just turn it on at any time...and they knew it. Why do you think Ed Reed had to give that "I'm hurt dog!" speech? Stop looking at the past through orange and green glasses. We were down 17-14 in the 4th at Rutgers in 2002. Where was the team that cared so much about winning then? We let a 2-7 LaTech team score 31 on us at home in 2000, which is what kept us from playing OU for the title that year. We needed a ******* miracle to beat BC in 2001, and a dropped 2pt conversion is the only thing that kept us from having to go to overtime at VT. Anyone else remember 17-7 at half against TROY at HOME? 21-14 at Temple in the 2nd quarter? Just stop.
This. The 2000-2002 teams played down to the level of their competition quite a bit. They were so much more talented than pretty much every team they faced and should have blown out pretty much everyone on their schedule but they had more than a few close calls that led to an outright embarrassing loss in the Fiesta Bowl to a garbage Ohio State team.

If the offense clicks in 2020, I guarantee all the "culture" issues will cease to exist.

Obviously.

The culture is instilled by the HC, not a part-time employee. If the HC is trash, you can have all the rah rah speeches from Hall of Fame alums and part-time staffers in the world, and none of it will work. Manure will have to prove that HE is cut out for this. It's HIS team, not Ed Reed's.

Win some games and play some exciting football, and the culture will get better instantly. It's hard to have a great culture when you're losing to FIU and La Tech and GT and Puke. Culture is the crutch for the failed coach looking for excuses and time.

Advertisement
Just posted about this in another thread. The culture has to revolve around competition. Keep recruiting at a high level and let all those kids compete, I mean truly compete. Nothing holds you more accountable than the man behind you on the depth chart who is as good as you are.

Ed Reed isn’t and hasn’t been on campus since he was hired and fans think he will make an impact on the day to day (culture) activities? I have some land in Alaska I want to sell to you guys.

Leadership starts at the top. Whether it’s Government, business, sports team. Period! Not the assistances nor players. The top.

Last edited:
Advertisement
...Manure will have to prove that HE is cut out for this. It's HIS team, not Ed Reed's.....

I love Ed Reed, I like the PR value aspect and possible modest recruiting benefit, but he’s not going to make a difference in wins or losses this year.

What you just said is going to make the difference.

Ed Reed isn’t and hasn’t been on campus since he was hired and fans think he will make an impact on the day to day (culture) activities? I have some land in Alaska I want to sell to you guys.

Leadership starts at the top. Whether it’s Government, business, sports team. Period! Not the assistances nor players. The top.

Well really, since covid, no one has been on campus..........

Well really, since covid, no one has been on campus..........

COVID or no COVID, he wasn’t going to be on campus during the spring because of other obligations and his kid, I believe. The Reed hire was a PR stunt to get fans like you excited, save face from the Highsmith disaster and help on big recruiting events. Perhaps, he’d be more on campus during season. Reed isn’t changing anything of substance, nor should he.

COVID or no COVID, he wasn’t going to be on campus during the spring because of other obligations and his kid, I believe. The Reed hire was a PR stunt to get fans like you excited, save face from the Highsmith disaster and help on big recruiting events. Perhaps, he’d be more on campus during season. Reed isn’t changing anything of substance, nor should he.

Well, thank god for fans like you who are all knowing to keep fans like me in the loop. Might I shine your shoes oh great one?

Advertisement
Back