Crowded QB room?

Suarez

Freshman
Banned
can giving all 4 QBs a shot at winning the job impede our best option's development? Meaning, can we properly develop whoever maybe our best option if we're dividing the reps between 4 guys? I'm looking at programs that are where we want to be.. Clemson and Bama, and they're giving all their work to the main guys they want to develop.. As Clemson is now doing with Lawrence what Bama did with Tua.

Advertisement
Tua has been out almost all Spring with a broken finger and Clemson is giving all 3 of their studs a chance to win the job this year.

For some reason everyone want the QB thing settled now. It was never going to be settled in the Spring. The Spring is for getting everyone reps and seeing what you've got. The fall is getting ready to win games. Richt has to keep the youngsters happy because one of them will be starting next year at the latest. So giving all of them a lot of reps this Spring is 100% the right move.

Tua has been out almost all Spring with a broken finger and Clemson is giving all 3 of their studs a chance to win the job this year.

For some reason everyone want the QB thing settled now. It was never going to be settled in the Spring. The Spring is for getting everyone reps and seeing what you've got. The fall is getting ready to win games. Richt has to keep the youngsters happy because one of them will be starting next year at the latest. So giving all of them a lot of reps this Spring is 100% the right move.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...17-alabama-spring-game-as-tide-look-to-reload

See how much work Tua got in last years spring game above. His success this year too had a great deal to do with how much Saban prepared him by giving him tons of work in practice.

you're right about Clemson though, they too are giving 4 QBs a shot but Dabo sounds like he's lobbing for Lawrence to take the reins

Advertisement
I agree with OP, Malik is our QB,, the others are the future.
Push a young kid early ?
Remember Kyle??

As far as Spring, CMR would have been better served putting in a new offense.
One that takes into account our rather weak O-line..

can giving all 4 QBs a shot at winning the job impede our best option's development? Meaning, can we properly develop whoever maybe our best option if we're dividing the reps between 4 guys? I'm looking at programs that are where we want to be.. Clemson and Bama, and they're giving all their work to the main guys they want to develop.. As Clemson is now doing with Lawrence what Bama did with Tua.

I mean, how difficult is it for people to see that not a single QB has taken that next step? From my POV, coach wants the competition to help push at least one of them ahead. Weldon has been sick/MIA, Williams should still be in high school, Perry is still figuring out his game and Rosier is Rosier. I know we're all eager to have someone step up and get the reps, but we're also not blind to the fact that not one of them looks ready.

While I was happy getting 10 wins last year, I was pretty annoyed that we let inferior opponents hang around in games (UNC, UVA, Syracuse, etc.) thus keeping us from giving reps to our backups. that cannot happen this year.

Advertisement
Why are people so down on Kelly Bryant all of a sudden . I thought he was a solid QB last year

13 TDs 8 picks, completed only 11 passes over 20+ yards on the season. That D, OL and Running game carried that team as did his feet. Kelly is on a short leash as is Rosier.

Definitely need to figure it out going forward. Whoever the starter is need majority of the reps before game 1

I posted this yesterday, but I'll repeat it since it's on point with this thread: give all 4 guys a legitimate shot. If someone indicates they are clearly behind the pack, then focus on the remaining 3. Whittle it down based on merit, not seniority. And let the best QB win, regardless of whether he should still be in high school or whatever excuse du jour is offered up.

Advertisement
13 TDs 8 picks, completed only 11 passes over 20+ yards on the season. That D, OL and Running game carried that team as did his feet. Kelly is on a short leash as is Rosier.
**** I thought he had better stats than that

Tua has been hurt this entire Spring.

It's like you created this thread just to bash Richt, and never even bothered to get the facts right.

And Clemson is doing almost the exact same thing as us: splitting reps between 4 guys.

Advertisement
I posted this yesterday, but I'll repeat it since it's on point with this thread: give all 4 guys a legitimate shot. If someone indicates they are clearly behind the pack, then focus on the remaining 3. Whittle it down based on merit, not seniority. And let the best QB win, regardless of whether he should still be in high school or whatever excuse du jour is offered up.

Richt has done exactly this and he keeps trying to tell everybody but nobody wants to listen. On just about every opportunity to do so he's stated in no uncertain terms that Rosier is the only guy who knows how to run the offense and is capable of running the entire system. He also said after the spring game that come fall, only the guys who know what to do are going to get reps. If that's 25 guys and we can keep fresh bodies on the field, we'll run a lot of no huddle and tempo stuff. If it's only 14 or so we'll have to huddle. Right now it looks like we'll have to huddle.

He's saying as plainly as he possibly can that if anyone wants to have a shot to unseat Rosier come fall, they better live in the film room this summer and absorb as much information as possible.

I think Richt is handling this the right way. On the one hand he has to keep pressure on Rosier since he does respond to pressure whether coming from behind late in games or knowing someone is right behind waiting to take his job. Malik seems to really lack any intrinsic motivation so Richt has to keep the outside pressure going all season long (judging by his "bitter end" comments and continued year long evaluation of his qbs).

Then on the other hand, he is keeping the hopes of the young guns high that they can still overtake Rosier if they keep working on their craft during the summer, fall, and during the season.

It keeps Richt's options open by squeezing maximum juice out of Rosier to get the most out of him, and having a young gun ready to take the reigns if Malik ***** the bed like what happened at Pitt. Problem last year, was no one was behind Malik to push him and he knew it. Totally different this year.

Only question is how far along Jarren progresses and whether or not to redshirt him. I suspect if he isn't redshirted one of the other guys transfers. My guess would be Weldon.

Advertisement
Back