crossing routes

Advertisement
did we run one drag route all year? our offense clearly was better with the quick passing game and don't recall too many short crossing patterns over the middle and letting our athletes run with it

I thought about this too and is confusing because Richt had been known to be a fan of crossing routes. We also did not see any last year with James Coley. The common denominator in the equation is Kaaya however. I'm lead to believe that maybe it's a throw he's not good with.

did we run one drag route all year? our offense clearly was better with the quick passing game and don't recall too many short crossing patterns over the middle and letting our athletes run with it

I thought about this too and is confusing because Richt had been known to be a fan of crossing routes. We also did not see any last year with James Coley. The common denominator in the equation is Kaaya however. I'm lead to believe that maybe it's a throw he's not good with.

The most obvious answer is likely the correct one.

Could've sworn I read people on here talking about crossing routes being part of Richt's bread and butter. I don't know his Xs and Os history well enough, but based on the talk around here I was expecting to see it early and often. Strange to not see it basically at all.

I recall the same thing.

Then waited all year to see some - but all year the middle was open and not one time did we see anything.

Closest was Richards reversing the field after his little catch, and oddly, ran for a touchdown.

Maybe Richt lost those pages out of his play book - 'cause we sure didn't see any.

Advertisement

When Kaaya misses he does miss high and wide. Just a disaster on crossing routes.

Could've sworn I read people on here talking about crossing routes being part of Richt's bread and butter. I don't know his Xs and Os history well enough, but based on the talk around here I was expecting to see it early and often. Strange to not see it basically at all.

Right. It's the Shallow cross concept that has made him and his QBS very successful during his career.

I cant understand, for the lif of me, WHY we are not running it and WHY Richt decided to learn and employ a concept(rpo) that he hasn't ever really coached.

I truly believe its an indictment on our offense or Kaayas ability or lack there of to pick up the concept in an efficient enough way for Mark to run it successfully.

I refuse to believe Richt is dumb enough to try and fix what aint broken.

When Kaaya misses he does miss high and wide. Just a disaster on crossing routes.

I think u guys may be on to something there. When he misses, he does miss high. Missing high across the middle, means the ball is going the other way! So it is plausible to believe that Richt limited his throws across the middle, to minimize potential mistakes.

Advertisement

Its funny how this escapes Jedi, Chise, Dmoney, and Lu when they are being highly critical of Richts playcalling.

Those guys got a bunch of dumbazz(groupies) thinking they are intelligent enough to call out the coach.

SMFH

lol @ these forum goers

there's a reason richt got as far as he did, it wasn't because he forgot a basic concept of his offense

#Facts

I have a separate, more elaborate thread I'm going to do on this, but I'm more concerned with lack of pre-snap motion.

Can't wait to hear it.

Our offense is based squarely on out talenting the defense across from us. Would be nice to scheme in some advantages.

Advertisement
I have a separate, more elaborate thread I'm going to do on this, but I'm more concerned with lack of pre-snap motion.

Can't wait to hear it.

Our offense is based squarely on out talenting the defense across from us. Would be nice to scheme in some advantages.

That's an oversimplification.

What's the RPO about? Numbers. It is on the QB to read the situation and make the right decision. The two scoring drives in the second half were all about finding the advantage and putting our players in the best position to make a play. The TEs and WRs had 7-8 yard gains before they even met a defender.

Sure Njoku made a great play on his TD but thats why you recruit freak athletes. They maximize the advantages that the scheme gives. You've got a safety/CB coming full speed at Njoku to make a tackle on 2nd and 1. At worst it is an easy 1st down without much effort. He turns it into a TD because he's a potential first rounder. Like anything Richt's offense had faults but he was willing to adjust and I don't expect that to stop.

Running the ball with a fullback because he feels like we should was my biggest issue with Richt this year. It generally just put us in bad down and distances. I appreciate Marquez Williams and his one year here but without an apparent replacement I hope we move away from the 5-7 times per game a fullback was on the field just because Richt thinks we need to do it for balance.

Last edited:
The fullback was there to create an extra gap for the D to account for... But with ur guards gettingbchoked and pushed into the backfield it makes both backs look bad

Our biggest problem ALL year wass line play

Advertisement

Bro I mentioned this several times in other posts! Richt's offense is all Go, Post or Out routes! No under, crossing, flair, post corner or pick routes. Dude's offense is absent of half of all the route options. That's why I have repeatedly said Richt needs to hire an Pro Spread Offensive Consultant to add diversity and pace to the offense. This would make a world of difference with the effectiveness of the offense. Any names he could consult with?

Advertisement
Back