crossing routes

ball915

All-American
did we run one drag route all year? our offense clearly was better with the quick passing game and don't recall too many short crossing patterns over the middle and letting our athletes run with it

Advertisement
Seems like a fantastic way to get the ball in Richards hands. Oh well

Could've sworn I read people on here talking about crossing routes being part of Richt's bread and butter. I don't know his Xs and Os history well enough, but based on the talk around here I was expecting to see it early and often. Strange to not see it basically at all.

Advertisement
crossing routes take time to develop. Why run something that is exposing your teams weakness? That's what we had the last 15 years as coaches.

Advertisement
crossing routes take time to develop. Why run something that is exposing your teams weakness? That's what we had the last 15 years as coaches.

They can, but they don't take longer than some of the other routes we are running. Plus, all 3 WRs don't run them, so the cross can be a check down. If nothing else, it keeps the defense honest and makes the CB think more. We rarely attack the middle of the field. Because we don't, the LBs are not threatened by zone drops or man crosses and just attack the run.

They can, but they don't take longer than some of the other routes we are running. Plus, all 3 WRs don't run them, so the cross can be a check down. If nothing else, it keeps the defense honest and makes the CB think more. We rarely attack the middle of the field. Because we don't, the LBs are not threatened by zone drops or man crosses and just attack the run.

Exactly. It doesn't take that long for a slot receiver to run a 5 yard drag route.

I would also like to see more motion out of this offense, both in the pass game and run game.

Didnt coley catch a post corner?

How many times did we bang njoku on the play action DRAG route in 21 personnel? How many posts did we hit? Jeesh people. Its clear that we did not run a ton of shallow cross like we thought he would, but we did have a fairly full route tree. Outs, slants, posts, post corner, hitch, deep out, corner all come to mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They don't take long at all when you're running them from the slots, especially if you have the slot WR's tighten their splits. (line-up closer to the tackles)

The QB should be getting rid of the ball as the slot WR crosses the center. Only takes a couple seconds.

Advertisement
I have a separate, more elaborate thread I'm going to do on this, but I'm more concerned with lack of pre-snap motion.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that Richt won a ton of SEC games for a reason, and he's some how masking our weakness at offensive line. I remind myself of the "he'll open it up for FSU" talk, but I can hope

Advertisement
I have a separate, more elaborate thread I'm going to do on this, but I'm more concerned with lack of pre-snap motion.

Yes!

Crawl before you walk, and walk before []_[] run... We can barely snap the ball without a penalty... If we just execute and can hold a block we could be a 10 or 11 win team without all the motion. This is Richt's first year. You can't expect his full fast-break offense year 1. Brad clearly wasn't able to handle the offense at a certain level and it had to be reigned in.. Have patience...I'm sure as these QBs demonstrate mastery he'll add a lot of that old pre-snap shifting/motion from his 90s offenses that were so prolific.

Yes!

Crawl before you walk, and walk before []_[] run... We can barely snap the ball without a penalty... If we just execute and can hold a block we could be a 10 or 11 win team without all the motion. This is Richt's first year. You can't expect his full fast-break offense year 1. Brad clearly wasn't able to handle the offense at a certain level and it had to be reigned in.. Have patience...I'm sure as these QBs demonstrate mastery he'll add a lot of that old pre-snap shifting/motion from his 90s offenses that were so prolific.
I don't think we're asking for Pitt-level motion and misdirection. I think some simple motion could have been implemented based on what was shown in Fall practices. I understand the rationale for not implementing too much, but I've seen HS offenses help their QBs with at least a tiny bit of motion. It was virtually non-existent. Think it could have really helped Kaaya.

I think we can all agree Coach Richt is conservative in his approach and is very incremental with his moves. We'll no doubt see something because every time he struggled, he reacted by attacking the problem the next game. We didn't attack between the hashes against FSU and struggled. He began the following game. We didn't do enough 4-vert against UNC, which Kaaya had done well with under previous coaches. We did it, A LOT, against VT. Etc., etc. I'm happy to chalk this one up to a learning year for the offensive coaches. They were implementing their stuff and learning their players' skill sets.

We'll see what happens in spring and fall depending on the QB.

giphy.gif

Advertisement
Back