'Crootin "Information" vs. "Expectation"

I really hope nobody misunderstands this post as a potential apology for a sub-par signing class. That's not what this is about. If we don't sign Henderson and Edwards I'm not gonna sit back and say "aw shucks, kids these days, oh well can't win 'em all..." It would be a major loss by our coaching staff because either (or both) of those guys would instantly help our DB situation in the fall.

Rather, I posted this in order to hopefully bring light to the idea that 'Crootin isn't about saying "I told you so" when something somebody posted a week ago doesn't pan out. It's about filling the needs of that class with quality players on NSD. Ultimately that's all it's about.

Posting updated information is different than creating buzz with They Comin.

Pete takes heat here because he is the first to point out "I told you so" when another reporter or site is wrong and because he uses all those buzz creating tag lines. Take Harley. Pete was wrong, then right. But when Harley closed it down Pete was too busy to post for 20 pages and then came in with D$ basically saying the staff botched it by not offering early. Now it looks like the dude will be a Cane. To which both were mocked due to the ridiculousness of it. If Harley picks Miami on Wednesday, Pete will be right on the latest information he has, as usual, and the premise that the offer was too late will be bull****.

Advertisement
The staff shouldn't have started raising expectations with their watch the close nonsense. It was a big mistake and now it'll be virtually impossible to look like they had a successful NSD in the eyes of very many fans. Reporters shouldn't be implying theyre all coming. Fans should understand CBs are BS.

Agree with this. Coaches set themselves up to catch flak if a couple of guys bail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much of recruiting is perception. The perception early last week was that a shift in power towards Miami was occurring, it's hard to blame the staff for trying to reinforce that perception. I agree it's a risky move, but I don't blame them for trying to build on the hype. Hopefully it pans out on NSD.

That's definitely the danger with pumping perception during 'Crootin season. Because until Wednesday, perception is basically all we have. I don't blame UM or any pro-UM site for jumping on the good vibes when they come either - just sometimes you get burned have to take the L, and that's the game.

I really hope nobody misunderstands this post as a potential apology for a sub-par signing class. That's not what this is about. If we don't sign Henderson and Edwards I'm not gonna sit back and say "aw shucks, kids these days, oh well can't win 'em all..." It would be a major loss by our coaching staff because either (or both) of those guys would instantly help our DB situation in the fall.

Rather, I posted this in order to hopefully bring light to the idea that 'Crootin isn't about saying "I told you so" when something somebody posted a week ago doesn't pan out. It's about filling the needs of that class with quality players on NSD. Ultimately that's all it's about.

Pete takes heat here because he is the first to point out "I told you so" when another reporter or site is wrong and because he uses all those buzz creating tag lines. Take Harley. Pete was wrong, then right. But when Harley closed it down Pete was too busy to post for 20 pages and then came in with D$ basically saying the staff botched it by not offering early. Now it looks like the dude will be a Cane. To which both were mocked due to the ridiculousness of it. If Harley picks Miami on Wednesday, Pete will be right on the latest information he has, as usual, and the premise that the offer was too late will be bull****.

I'm not going to speak for Pete, but I don't think you're wrong. I do think Pete knows that he's gonna take heat from time to time because of how worked up everybody gets. But he's a pro-UM reporter on a pro-UM website - he's gonna push the buzz when its there to be pushed. And he'll take his online lumps when the info changes.

I'm not going to speak for Pete, but I don't think you're wrong. I do think Pete knows that he's gonna take heat from time to time because of how worked up everybody gets. But he's a pro-UM reporter on a pro-UM website - he's gonna push the buzz when its there to be pushed. And he'll take his online lumps when the info changes.

Pete is as solid as they come, which is why people have been following his information across sites for several years. I'd push the buzz too, it creates clicks and gets the site rolling. I'd just avoid throwing the daggers unnecessarily.

Pete is as solid as they come, which is why people have been following his information across sites for several years. I'd push the buzz too, it creates clicks and gets the site rolling. I'd just avoid throwing the daggers unnecessarily.

Hey he's got a grown man glued to his **** computer every five seconds waiting for any new nugget of info so I suppose I can't fault his methods lol!

Advertisement

Hey he's got a grown man glued to his **** computer every five seconds waiting for any new nugget of info so I suppose I can't fault his methods lol!

Bring back the nuggets!

Eventually all recruiting reporters get tired of the fanbase and go one of two directions. You have the "Chris Stock" model in which you essentially just " mail it in" by only report facts with absolutely no conjecture and essentially very little effort. Or you can go the Gary German route and just throw **** against the wall like an angry monkey at the zoo.

The top recruiting programs are better at "controlling the message". No offense to this site but from casual observation everything about miamis media production is amateur. I have noticed it major improvements this year but there's still a long way to go.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The staff shouldn't have started raising expectations with their watch the close nonsense. It was a big mistake and now it'll be virtually impossible to look like they had a successful NSD in the eyes of very many fans. Reporters shouldn't be implying theyre all coming. Fans should understand CBs are BS.

Perhaps, but the alternative is posting NO recruiting information until NSD since nothing is ever settled until then lol. As much as I hate myself, I've been clicking "refresh" every 30 seconds all day. I don't blame Pete for telling us to "Watch the Finish" or whatever - it's his job to relay information as he gets it. When he posted that, the information was favorable. The information is now changing. It is what it is.

I'm not blaming Pete.. he tells whatever he is told. My gripe would be with an overconfident coaching staff.

Miami has to start winning these recruiting battles if they ever want to get to the top.

Other schools are not perfect, but they seem better able to lock down kids who commit.

We need to be able to do that. Whatever Bama, FSU etc does year in and year out to get these kids we need to do.

I know it starts with winning games, but that's not the only thing.

Perhaps, but the alternative is posting NO recruiting information until NSD since nothing is ever settled until then lol. As much as I hate myself, I've been clicking "refresh" every 30 seconds all day. I don't blame Pete for telling us to "Watch the Finish" or whatever - it's his job to relay information as he gets it. When he posted that, the information was favorable. The information is now changing. It is what it is.

I'm not blaming Pete.. he tells whatever he is told. My gripe would be with an overconfident coaching staff.

Herein lies the issue. Pete is a young guy, who is passionate about the U and who largely relies on the coaching staff and support staff as his beacon of truth. He's presumably fed information they want out and in such a way that they feel comfortable releasing. That's all good. It's probably a reach labeling Pete a reporter or expecting him to dig much beyond what coaches tell him for fear of being cut off. This a free site, so absolutely no complaints. And the good news is the product remains more reliable than the nonsense people pay Furball for.

Advertisement

Thats cute for taking up for Pete. I think he does a good job and relays reliable information but so do the other sites. The difference is Pete throws it in the other sites face when they get it wrong. I guess having a free site is his reasoning for doing that but that is the main difference.

I think CS is pretty solid as well as Pete. I like the banter on this board a lot more but I like the information on the other one too and dont mind paying for it.

Disagree about needing 2 ribs. If McFarland was the one that enrolled early and burns was the one that blew us off I don't think anyone would have really gave a ****. But since burns has bad injury history, and McFarland is seen as elite, it changes our perception. And who even knows if Gus will be leaving or if gray will

You don't go from 8-4 level to 11-1 level in one jump. That's the primary flaw I see around here: Okay, we've replaced Golden with Richt so now we win all the major decisions. It very seldom works that way. The foundational aspect is still much tighter to 8-4 than 11-1. We are viewed as 8-4 with hint of upside, from opposing fan bases to recruits and everyone else. Until the results and therefore the national buzz are linked with 11-1 territory, we've got to expect some major disappointments. You are what you are.

However, no matter where the final result ends up, I'll be thrilled to win a handful of major recruiting announcements on signing day. For years it's been the most overhyped blase day of the entire year. I can watch my alma mater USC win some guys on signing day but other than Stacy Coley with Jimbo Fisher obviously stung by that choice I can't remember the Canes prevailing on anything that wasn't mostly known the night earlier.

Hey, a neat trick would be to have all the lesser recruiting targets agree to delay their choice until signing day. Then we can slaughter Bowling Green and Memphis in all the televised hate games. I don't doubt that a beleaguered coach somewhere has already taken that route.

Advertisement
Hats off to everyone that contributed to keep us informed this season. I only have one question for the powers that be... Will Richt pull us a top 10 class this year ?

Great post OP. I think a lot of guys on here still haven't healed from the Corch Folden era. Still think negatively, like the sky is falling. We're finally in good hands with Richt and his staff. You have to be patient, it takes a little while to get rid of the stench of the last error, whoops meant era. Things are now Trending Up (pun intended). We're going to have a good class despite some 18 yr olds changing their minds at the last minute, and next years class will be even better.

I think a lot of people get confused this time of year between expectation and information as regards recruiting. I've seen a lot of posts about losing McFarland and the flakiness of Henderson and Edwards blaming the coaches, blaming [MENTION=3894]Peter Ariz[/MENTION], blaming the fans, blaming the kids, blaming everybody because our "expectation" was "They Comin."

First off, Pete and every other reporter can only relay information - what they've been told and allowed to release to the public by the coaching staff and UM administration. In other words, at one point in time, all those recruits probably did in fact tell the UM coaches that they were committed. Information changes - sometimes in our favor, sometimes not. Less than a month ago Mike Harley had "shut down his recruitment" in favor of WVU. We didn't even know who Jeff Thomas was. Herbert was going to UF to play with his boy Slaton. Henderson and Edwards were both locks to UF. McFarland was locked in to UM. Pouncey would be our 4th WR if Devonta Smith changed his mind... The list goes on.

After getting sucked into the 'crootin game year after year for the last 15+ years I'm slowly starting to understand that there really can be no "expectation" in recruiting - there's only information, and that information changes daily...or hourly. Now don't misunderstand having NO expectations with having LOW expectations. Regardless of the situation, we NEEDED a 2nd RB in this class, we also desperately need quality help at DB, WR, and OL. Those things haven't changed. But we can't sit here two days before signing day and say we "expected" so-and-so in our class based on what somebody posted or tweeted a week ago. That's just a recipe for ulcers and long-term liver damage. (Trust me.)

This is a bottom-line game. Will I be disappointed if Henderson and Edwards both choose UF? **** yes. But only because it would be a failure by our staff to land two exceptional DBs from our backyard, not because Pete said "Watch the Finish." I'll also be thrilled if one or both choose UM - because they can help us win immediately, not because it validated a mythical recruiting prediction.

One thing I do expect though - this will be one of the most meaningful/eventful signing days in recent memory. We now return me to my regularly-scheduled bourbon.
Everyone understands this. This is why Pete writing his fluff pieces and coming on the board with his 'he comin', 'they comin', 'cane', crap proves how much of a clown he is. Nobody should hang on his every word, especially when you go back and see his track record of fails.

Agree with this. Coaches set themselves up to catch flak if a couple of guys bail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rely didn't understand what they were trying to accomplish with the #.
It all downside if it doesn't work out the way you hope it does and with how flacky these kids are they should know better.
If they wanted to create buzz it's a stupid way to do it.
If these players are coming and they start committing it creates buzz on it's own.

Advertisement
Back