Cristobal Recruiting

What is Miami’s recruiting ceiling with Mario Cristobal?

• Slightly better than now, classes consistently ranked around #10

Votes: 87 37.0%
  • Much better than now, classes consistently around #5 in the country

Votes: 106 45.1%
  • Elite - talent on par with Alabama/Georgia/Ohio St

Votes: 42 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since Mario has been HC at Oregon, his 247 classes have been

2018: 13
2019: 7
2020: 11
2021: 6
2022: 6 as of now

If he can reel in classes like that at Oregon, I’m curious why people don’t think he’d do better at Miami? He dominated South FL recruiting for a long time before he went out west, where I’m assuming he had to start over to an extent and build new connections. It seems like recruiting would only be easier for him here. Even Manny just got a borderline top 10 class.

Advertisement
I was curious how high people think Miami’s recruiting could climb within the next 5 years if we were to land Cristobal this off-season.
Slightly better recruiting then now I voted but we don’t have Oregon resources so idk if any better.
also I don’t give a sh77 about recruiting rankings. That hasn’t been our issue. Keeping players here, developing players and utilizing players strengths is the issue. 2018 we had the 8th ranked class.

we need a real hc. With usc and UCLA being down hes been able to recruit well in Southern California. That will change instantly once usc and or UCLA start winning consistently.

Slightly better recruiting then now I voted but we don’t have Oregon resources so idk if any better.
also I don’t give a sh77 about recruiting rankings. That hasn’t been our issue. Keeping players here, developing players and utilizing players strengths is the issue. 2018 we had the 8th ranked class.

we need a real hc. With usc and UCLA being down hes been able to recruit well in Southern California. That will change instantly once usc and or UCLA start winning consistently.
He’d get a pretty good initial bump. I’d bet his bump class would be top 5 at least.

The point about being able to develop is the biggest thing. I will say though the top recruit, according to 247, from each of his first three classes all look like they have been developed into top draft status. Sewell, Thibedeaux and Flowe.

He’d get a pretty good initial bump. I’d bet his bump class would be top 5 at least.

The point about being able to develop is the biggest thing. I will say though the top recruit, according to 247, from each of his first three classes all look like they have been developed into top draft status. Sewell, Thibedeaux and Flowe.
Flowe has played two games in his college career.

Two.

Advertisement
B/c he had 14 tackles in his only start. The guy was a tank in HS; then freak, season ending injuries. Unbelievable.
I don't want to **** on the guy, but as it stands, he's not an NFL prospect. He's got to demonstrate a minimum level of availability.

And don’t forget what Mario did at Alabama.

The same thing every recruiter has done at Alabama. Recruit top talent, finish as the top team or right there.

You could throw Manny on that staff, toss him in front of an elite prospect, and see the same results. Saban is as good as it gets and a Bama offer speaks for itself.

OL - his bread and butter.. recruit elite .. big Dawgs .
DL - recruit elite- war Daddys at DT

Then... only then we will bang with the top dogs

Advertisement
The obsession with Justin Flowe is one of the weirdest looks this site has produced.

Probably because he's literally a generational linebacker prospect out of high school. I know that is thrown around a lot, but he's as freakish a talent as anyone who ever laced them up in high school at his position.

Who knows what his future holds, but he's the type of recruit people talk about for decades as a high school player. The ferocity he played with is like nothing I've seen at the position and how quick he is at that size.

The only way he's not a major star in college and the NFL, is injuries. Last guy I personally felt that high about as a prospect was literally Adrian Peterson. Guess we'll see what happens, but he's must see TV when he's healthy and on the field.

I haven’t read if you are a Mario guy. What are your thoughts on him? I’d love him here, and think he’d do great here…but, Inwill admit I’m not familiar w a lot of the other coach possibilities
I'd be more than okay with it.... but the guy I really wanted from 07-onward was Gary Patterson...unfortunately it's too late now.

The same thing every recruiter has done at Alabama. Recruit top talent, finish as the top team or right there.

You could throw Manny on that staff, toss him in front of an elite prospect, and see the same results. Saban is as good as it gets and a Bama offer speaks for itself.
If you combine the recruiting work that Mario did at Alabama and now at Oregon, he’s an elite recruiter. Yes Alabama recruits well, but my purpose of mentioning them was to focus particularly on Mario’s job as a recruiter there.

And for the record, “manny recruiting” or “manny recruiting for Alabama” is a logical fallacy since Manny can’t recruit and he will never coach at Bama.

Mario no doubt would recruit amazing diaz is terrible the issue is mario is a terrible gameday coach

Advertisement
If you combine the recruiting work that Mario did at Alabama and now at Oregon, he’s an elite recruiter. Yes Alabama recruits well, but my purpose of mentioning them was to focus particularly on Mario’s job as a recruiter there.

And for the record, “manny recruiting” or “manny recruiting for Alabama” is a logical fallacy since Manny can’t recruit and he will never coach at Bama.
This is true as is the other post.

Advertisement
Recruiting isn't a big problem now u mean?
I think more talent evaluation is the problem than recruiting. But that is part of recruiting so yes it’s a problem but again, coaching is the biggest problem. We have more than enough talent on this team to not be where we have the last 15 years

Since Mario has been HC at Oregon, his 247 classes have been

2018: 13
2019: 7
2020: 11
2021: 6
2022: 6 as of now

If he can reel in classes like that at Oregon, I’m curious why people don’t think he’d do better at Miami? He dominated South FL recruiting for a long time before he went out west, where I’m assuming he had to start over to an extent and build new connections. It seems like recruiting would only be easier for him here. Even Manny just got a borderline top 10 class.
Oregon has NIKE MONEY. I don't know why our fans can't see that **** near anyone with a pulse can recruit to Oregon, or Alabama. Never mind the fact that Oregon is THE PLACE out west right now because USC is down and has been down for a little bit. At Miami, Mario would have to compete against schools like Alabama and the rest of the SEC elite, and he wouldn't have the financial resources needed to win those battles(and even if he did, it would be a matter of time before it blew up in his face because you can't do the stuff Bama and UGA does in a city with a noncompliant press corps)

The problem is that Mario, despite his recruiting prowess(Which has happened mostly at schools where you should be able to recruit, no matter who is in charge), isn't some elite gameday coach. He's Butch Davis. In other words, he's a guy that can outtalent people, but against teams that are well coached, tends to struggle. Oregon should have had at least one CFP appearance under their belt by now, merely because he's had generational talents at key positions. How can you lose two games with Justin Herbert as your QB, including that complete botch job against Auburn?

Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that Mario(Or any coach not named Nick Saban) can recreate the 2000-2002 teams at Miami, because the current climate makes it IMPOSSIBLE for a school like Miami to stack talent like that. That is why it is important for Miami to hire a coach that can get the most out of the talent available to him, a guy that can take average to above average talent(Which is what Miami has had, even through these dark times), and COACH THEM TO BE ELITE. You get a coach like that at Miami, and he starts to win, the elite talent will come on their own. That's the blueprint. Miami hasn't been well coached by an innovative leader since Erickson.

Advertisement
Back