Cristobal, Leach, Schiano, and Chud

Leach is like herpes. Why does he keep flairing up on these boards? If he was good, he wouldn't be where he is at this point of his career. I There are 64 Power Five teams looking for a competitive advantage so you think they are all just ignoring the superstar that is Mike Leach? I feel this way about Cristobal and Schiano too.

Just curious ... Does this same logic apply to Butch Davis?

No. Leach has a job at a Power 5 school.

And he took that Power 5 school and loss to Portland State. Inspiring.
The reason, Butch is the exception to these guys is because he build one of the best teams in history and would create instant buzz for the program. Should Butch be considered for other top jobs like USC? Nah. But he did something special here so he has instant credibility with recruits and players here.

Advertisement
Let's discuss Butch;

While at UNC; overall record 28-25, ACC conference record 15-17, and 1/3 in Bowl games winning at the Music City bowl while recruiting high classes.

Plus academic and institutional control issues. Do you think this administration will take a chance on a coach with baggage and age?

I don't think so!

Leach is like herpes. Why does he keep flairing up on these boards? If he was good, he wouldn't be where he is at this point of his career. I There are 64 Power Five teams looking for a competitive advantage so you think they are all just ignoring the superstar that is Mike Leach? I feel this way about Cristobal and Schiano too.

Just curious ... Does this same logic apply to Butch Davis?

No. Leach has a job at a Power 5 school.

And he took that Power 5 school and loss to Portland State. Inspiring.
The reason, Butch is the exception to these guys is because he build one of the best teams in history and would create instant buzz for the program. Should Butch be considered for other top jobs like USC? Nah. But he did something special here so he has instant credibility with recruits and players here.

Sigh. That was a bad loss, but he seems to be turning it around. 5-2, with three straight vs Oregon, Oregon State, and Arizona. Butch was 0-2 vs ECU, and was responsible for the 3rd worst beating in UM history (with a loaded roster). Everyone has a bad loss here and there. Not saying Leach would be my top choice, but he'd be someone to get excited about.

Let's kill Leach right now using his best stint at Texas Tech:
(found this with hardly any effort, the research is out there)

1. Mike Leach was the HC at TT from 2000-2009, with an overall record of 84-43. That sounds great until you go and look at who most of those 84 wins were against - bottom feeders.

2. Mike Leach coached 41 games against ranked teams. TT went 11-30 in those games.

3. In the games against ranked opponents, TT scored a whopping 26.2 points per game. They allowed 36.2 points per game.

4. His best season was 2008, but his record against ranked opponents that year: 3-2.

Of his 84 career wins at Texas Tech, only 26 game against winning teams. So he had 58 wins against teams that finished that season with a 500 or worse record. 8 of those 58 wins came against 1aa opponents. So, his record against Div 1A teams was 76-43. Of the 76 wins he had against Div 1A teams, 19 (YES 19) came against teams that finished that season at least 5 games under .500.

Advertisement
Let's discuss Butch;

While at UNC; overall record 28-25, ACC conference record 15-17, and 1/3 in Bowl games winning at the Music City bowl while recruiting high classes.

Plus academic and institutional control issues. Do you think this administration will take a chance on a coach with baggage and age?

I don't think so!

Anybody who watched that team knew they were on the verge of turning into a force before the scandal hit. Was one of the toughest defenses in the country before losing 13 guys. I remember them almost beating LSU with 13 starting players suspended and losing the game on a last second field goal.

Let's discuss Butch;

I don't think so!

Anybody who watched that team knew they were on the verge of turning into a force before the scandal hit. Was one of the toughest defenses in the country before losing 13 guys. I remember them almost beating LSU with 13 starting players suspended and losing the game on a last second field goal.

remember this like yesterday i thought holy **** he did an amazing job at a basketbal school, i grew alot of respect for butch that season especially with the scandal knowing he went all in to win. i knew rt dea we werent clean under him n i like it

Advertisement
Butch's record at UNC was also better than Jimmy Johnson's record in college before Miami.

It was also much, much better than Schnellenberger's college record after Miami.

As for the "institution", they've already proven 3 times recently that they can't get it done. I'm unfortunately not getting the least bit excited until I hear a name that can win championships.

Let's discuss Butch;

I don't think so!

Advertisement
Back