Off-Topic Crime 2.0

Advertisement
I have zero problems with this 14 yr old kid shooting a guy beating his mother. I do have questions about why he has a gun.

It's a great question. I read somewhere the gun was legally owned by the mother, but that still doesn't definitively answer how it came to be in the possession of a 14 year old. We know the son was initially waiting in the car and the mother was texting him during the initial verbal altercation. The mother also had a CCL. Those facts plus the decision not to prosecute lead me to believe the gun was in a "secure enclosure" inside the vehicle.

But, even then, did the mom tell him to bring her the gun? I can't imagine putting my kid in the middle of any altercation that I thought required me to have a firearm.

Honduras goes full Bukele on gangs

On Monday, authorities in Honduras responded to a gang-related fire that killed 46 inmates at a women's prison by putting the military police in charge of all jails, emptying cell blocks, and forcing cons to sit in rows nestled against each other, with their hands tied, heads bowed, and male inmates shirtless. Sound familiar?

Yep, that's exactly how the prison system is run in neighboring El Salvador since strongman President Nayib Bukele imposed a draconian state of emergency to fight gangs. And his people love him for it.

Bukele is the world's most popular democratically elected leader, with an approval rating consistently hovering around 90%. Perhaps the main reason is his mano dura or "tough hand" approach toward gang violence, which has made crime rates nosedive at the expense of the rule of law and human rights.

Understandably, Bukele's sky-high popularity makes it tempting for leaders of other Central and South American nations — many of which face the same problem with gangs — to follow his lead. But it's no magic solution: In Ecuador, outgoing President Guillermo Lasso is losing his war on gangs despite imposing an emergency rule similar to El Salvador’s under Bukele.

What's more, such authoritarian vibes seem off-brand for Honduran President Xiomara Castro, an unabashed left-winger who won the top job in 2021 on a promise of restoring faith in democracy. Desperate times …

*** IN THE SHOWER

In a recent survey carried out for the leading toiletries firm 'Brut', people from Chicago have proved to be the most likely to have had *** in the shower!

In the survey, 86% of Chicago's residents (almost all of whom are registered Democrats) say that they have enjoyed *** in the shower.

The other 14% said they hadn’t been to prison yet.

Sort of brings a tear to your eye

Advertisement
This is what crime does to housing prices

Invesco sold North Water Apartments, a 398-unit property at 340 E. North Water St., to Miami-based Crescent Heights for $173 million, according to real estate data provider CoStar Group. While that’s the most paid for a downtown apartment building since December 2021, the price represents a 28% drop in value for the Streeterville property since 2016, when Invesco bought it for $240 million.

This is what crime does to housing prices

Invesco sold North Water Apartments, a 398-unit property at 340 E. North Water St., to Miami-based Crescent Heights for $173 million, according to real estate data provider CoStar Group. While that’s the most paid for a downtown apartment building since December 2021, the price represents a 28% drop in value for the Streeterville property since 2016, when Invesco bought it for $240 million.

Literally has nothing to do with crime

Advertisement
POS....Another Bullet to the Cranium candidate.
Sean Connery GIF by James Bond 007

The Numbers​

The estimated number of Portland, Ore., residents who left the city between 2020 and 2022, according to the U.S. Census. The 3% decline contrasts sharply with a 23% population surge between 2000 and 2020. Ex-PDX-ers cite an increase in serious crime, sprawling homeless encampments, political infighting, expensive housing and a weaker economy. City Hall says it’s working to address Portland’s issues and retain residents.

Advertisement
Literally has nothing to do with crime

Whether you agree with it or not, mention certain states/cities to investors, and the immediate answer is NO. Chicago is in that group, as is Portland (which I just posted about). In fact, that article was sent to me by a client that recently moved from Chicago to SW Florida.

Whether you agree with it or not, mention certain states/cities to investors, and the immediate answer is NO. Chicago is in that group. In fact, that article was sent to me by a client that recently moved from Chicago to SW Florida.
Right — but crime is not mentioned anywhere in the article. Other actual factors ARE brought up. You are creating a narrative, which is fine, but it should be acknowledged as such.

Right — but crime is not mentioned anywhere in the article. Other actual factors ARE brought up. You are creating a narrative, which is fine, but it should be acknowledged as such.

I understand your point, but the reality is, why would the the price crash so much? The reality (or perception) of crime had a lot to do with it.

Advertisement
I understand your point, but the reality is, why would the the price crash so much? The reality (or perception) of crime had a lot to do with it.

Perception for sure. And there ARE too many shootings in chicago. But edgewater is as safe as the grove, downtown Miami or wynwood.

Perception for sure. And there ARE too many shootings in chicago. But edgewater is as safe as the grove, downtown Miami or wynwood.

Understood, a possible explanation is the perception/reality that Chicago's government is soft on crime.

"****-inspired gunman" ----> 'Mauricio Garcia', 33, killed eight people including children on May 6 outside H&M in Allen Premium Outlets in Allen, Texas. He was shot dead at the scene

1687999676579.png

Advertisement
Back