Crazy CFB Playoff Stat

That pool is much larger than the P5 pool and each team is a lot more vulnerable than the ones in P5.
I agree with that but let me ask you this: Do you think Cincy can hang with or beat any of the top 4? I mean thats thing. I believe they can and any team on the level of a Cincy should be given that shot which may not be very many but still.......

Advertisement
For years, I was in the camp of "don't devalue the regular season." But it has gotten out of hand.

Cinci was totally disrespected. That team has been rock solid over the past 3 seasons. Same with Costal. I watched them all year. People are always looking for the next up-and-comer from the G5 ranks. Obviously, there are no sure bets, but Chadwell is a guy I would take a flier on in a second.

I am not even saying these teams should've gotten in. But to be jumped by 2/3 win teams when they didn't even play? To not even be in the conversation in a Covid season? What are you even playing for? A December 26 bowl in Memphis that keeps you away from your family at Xmas? Add in the 1-time transfer rule, and why wouldn't a stud from Cinci that balls out as a Fr or Soph transfer to Ohio State, or even Indiana or something?

The system is broken. Anyone see the pic of the committee "watching games"? No one had notepads, there was no rewinding, etc. I rewind every play when I rewatch a Canes game on YouTube. It's a disgrace, and gluttonously not changing with the times to keep cash cows like OSU and ND in the playoff is a long term losing strategy.
Adding playoff spots would increase the value of the regular season for all of those 120 teams who lose more than 1 game every year.

I agree with that but let me ask you this: Do you think Cincy can hang with or beat any of the top 4? I mean thats thing. I believe they can and any team on the level of a Cincy should be given that shot which may not be very many but still.......

Hang with OSU and ND for a half but nothing more

Including the 4 games this year - 4 X 7 = 28

Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State will have played in 16.

Of the previous 24 games played, those 3 have won 14 and can obviously add to that win total.

Credit to Mark Packer of ACCN.

Glad Mark Packer read this post of mine from over four years ago to get his story idea:

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/alabamas-dominance-in-context-death-of-cfb.104100/

I bumped it again; just like my thread on peer reviewed research showing ACC officiating bias, it has to be told again and again.

8 teams would be great but I’d still say split the G5 off. As much as I’d love to see Cincy and Coastal in there, they aren’t beating Clemson and Bama. I’d pay to see Cincy and CCU play for a G5 title though.

I feel ur option bro; but it’s going to be a problem w/ that scenario. The only way you can break off the G5 is by removing them from D1.

Also, remember we’re talking about top 8. There may be a time where a G5 team is a legit top 8 (see Boise St & the “2017 Nat’l Champs UCF)....but that will be far few in between. There are some legit G5 teams (see FIU last yr.....LMAO) that can knock off a P5 team. Maybe they won’t be able to make it to the CFP Finals, but what makes the NCAA tourney so good is that you’ll get this up & coming G5 school that comes in & knocks off the traditional powers (See Gonzaga).

I know football is different, but before we became who we were, some might’ve considered us in the G5 category. I think it would make it more interesting if we see a G5 school so dominant that they force their way into the top 8 every now & then.

Advertisement
This product is going to die very quickly. They need to expand or they need to figure out a way to level the playing field
technology is changing cfb the way it changed news and elections. the only thing surprising is that people are surprised.

the solution, by the way, is easy. just limit it to one team per conference. the conferences will do everything else they need to do to level the field.

I’m down with this. Also thought for the G5, why not make a stipulation to be one of the 8 teams, either go undefeated with a strength of schedule above a set limit. I’m sure some kinks can be ironed out, but just a thought.

We’re on the same page. I was thinking the same. I would think a G5 team would not only have to go undefeated, but a P5 OOC has to be on the schedule, or something like that. But to flat out exclude them or put them in a participation title game as a D1 program would be f’s up, imo. Either they are considered D1 or not.

technology is changing cfb the way it changed news and elections. the only thing surprising is that people are surprised.

the solution, by the way, is easy. just limit it to one team per conference. the conferences will do everything else they need to do to level the field.

This, too, if they remain as a final 4.

This product is going to die very quickly. They need to expand or they need to figure out a way to level the playing field
Why would it die when the best team wins every year on the field? No one honestly thinks Cincy can beat bama or Clemson, it’s just “involving” them and inviting them to get smoked

Advertisement
We’re on the same page. I was thinking the same. I would think a G5 team would not only have to go undefeated, but a P5 OOC has to be on the schedule, or something like that. But to flat out exclude them or put them in a participation title game as a D1 program would be f’s up, imo. Either they are considered D1 or not.
Yep and we all know it won’t happen often because the only G5 team that had enough NFL level players to challenge good P5 teams was that Boise team with Kellen Moore that lost to a Kaepernick led Nevada squad, at night, away, and with a gw fg to seal it. Loved watching that team back in the day.

This, too, if they remain as a final 4.
The thing about technology is that it allows people with advantages to push and scale them fast and far.

The interesting thing is how advantaged OSU is. It's the only B10 team that really, really wants to compete at the top level. Michigan won't make the institutional commitment.

Alabama obviously makes the commitment but UGA, LSU and UF aren't so far behind that Alabama has a cake walk. Ohio State essentially owns the B10 bid and has a cake walk to the playoffs as long as it doesn't **** the bed.

Texas is really the school that should fix itself because it could own the fourth seat if it got right. USC, ND, Oklahoma will always have structural impediments to maintaining at that level.

Advertisement
Back