Crazy CFB Playoff Stat

423Hurricane

I’m Well On My Way
Premium
Including the 4 games this year - 4 X 7 = 28

Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State will have played in 16.

Of the previous 24 games played, those 3 have won 14 and can obviously add to that win total.

Credit to Mark Packer of ACCN.

Advertisement
This product is going to die very quickly. They need to expand or they need to figure out a way to level the playing field
With how much money is at stake, you would think the forces that be would have realized this by now. Leveling the playing field is the only way to reinvigorate the sport. Fan apathy is at an all time high. Many schools simply can’t afford to buy athletes like Bama, OSU,Clemson, LSU and Georgia.

This is where some enterprising news organization should come up with a "Best of the rest" award for the best non-CFP team. The only way the financially comfortable will change is through a decrease in funds or embarrassment.

With how much money is at stake, you would think the forces that be would have realized this by now. Leveling the playing field is the only way to reinvigorate the sport. Fan apathy is at an all time high. Many schools simply can’t afford to buy athletes like Bama, OSU,Clemson, LSU and Georgia.
Someone on reddit said something along the lines of "If LSU winning their 3rd title in 15 years last year was shaking it up a bit, there's an issue'. Very true.

Especially sucks for us as canes fans because we have to see ND and OSU whom we hate and Bama whom I am tired of stealing our croots. So I have to default and root for Clemson (even as a SCAR alum)...

Advertisement

You would think the NCAA would want a level playing field and to keep all fan bases/conferences engaged for the long-term success of the organization except Emmert is an SEC homer and all he cares about is the here and now. He's not going to hive up his $4M cake job by p!ssing off the SEC powers trying to level the playing field and busting them for cheating. He's an empty suit and is probably getting as many SEC bags as the recruits.

The OSU debacle might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. I believe the G5 schools will finally be looking into starting their own playoff, if the CFP isn’t expanded to eight. There is zero reason for them to continue to participate in this sham of a process.

Jerry Tarkanian explained the NCAA's M.O. decades ago. Their goal is to protect the haves at the expense of the have-nots.

quote-the-ncaa-is-so-mad-at-kentucky-theyre-going-to-give-cleveland-state-another-year-of-jerry-tarkanian-74-77-23.jpg

The OSU debacle might be the straw that breaks the camel’s back. I believe the G5 schools will finally be looking into starting their own playoff, if the CFP isn’t expanded to eight. There is zero reason for them to continue to participate in this sham of a process.
The only thing about that is the G5 would have the same issues as the P5 being that a few deserving teams would still get the no vaseline treatment.

As a few others have stated, the playoffs need to be upgraded to 8 maybe 16 teams and the season needs to be 10 games. I mean the FCS, Div II & III have a great format the G5 & P5 could follow but wont for whatever reason.

Just my $.02 though;nothing more nothing less.

Advertisement
The only thing about that is the G5 would have the same issues as the P5 being that a few deserving teams would still get the no vaseline treatment.

As a few others have stated, the playoffs need to be upgraded to 8 maybe 16 teams and the season needs to be 10 games. I mean the FCS, Div II & III have a great format the G5 & P5 could follow but wont for whatever reason.

Just my $.02 though;nothing more nothing less.

I disagree on the G5 schools having an issue picking a top 4. Routinely how many G5 schools are top 25? Seems like it would be pretty easy based on the past couple years to figure out. A healthy mix of Cincy, Memphis, Houston, App St, UCF, Boise, BYU, and now maybe Liberty, SJSU, CCU, and Louisiana could be in the yearly mix. Would be very entertaining IMO and a big tv draw. Certainly more dramatic of a selection show.

For years, I was in the camp of "don't devalue the regular season." But it has gotten out of hand.

Cinci was totally disrespected. That team has been rock solid over the past 3 seasons. Same with Costal. I watched them all year. People are always looking for the next up-and-comer from the G5 ranks. Obviously, there are no sure bets, but Chadwell is a guy I would take a flier on in a second.

I am not even saying these teams should've gotten in. But to be jumped by 2/3 win teams when they didn't even play? To not even be in the conversation in a Covid season? What are you even playing for? A December 26 bowl in Memphis that keeps you away from your family at Xmas? Add in the 1-time transfer rule, and why wouldn't a stud from Cinci that balls out as a Fr or Soph transfer to Ohio State, or even Indiana or something?

The system is broken. Anyone see the pic of the committee "watching games"? No one had notepads, there was no rewinding, etc. I rewind every play when I rewatch a Canes game on YouTube. It's a disgrace, and gluttonously not changing with the times to keep cash cows like OSU and ND in the playoff is a long term losing strategy.

An expanded playoff levels the playing field since more teams making the CFP gives recruits more choices.

An eight-team format with all P5 conference champions getting an automatic bid, plus three at-large teams. ND can join the ACC or hope they are ranked high enough for an at-large spot. Same for a highly ranked G5 team. Might need add rules for an ‘almost automatic’ berth for the best G5 team if certain criteria are met. Also, add a rule a P5 conference may only have one at-large berth, plus their conference champion. None of the ‘third best team’ is better than this other conference champion. Tough ****.

All of this! I was semi cool w the CFP until this yr. Seeing how subjective this chit is, clearly change needs to be made.

Again, looking at it from a revenue, and competitive stand point, not sure y the CFP wouldn’t want to expand to at least 8 teams. U eliminate a lot of controversy, give G5 programs a better chance, tier 1 “meaningless” bowl games now can be rotated apart of the NY6 bowls, more TV revenue...I mean, it makes too much sense. The NY6 bowls will always be in full rotation as a CFP, which will make their sponsors happy.

Again, not sure y this is not happening. Cut the Reg season to 11 games + conference championship, and play 8 bowl games to qualify the champion.

Advertisement
All of this! I was semi cool w the CFP until this yr. Seeing how subjective this chit is, clearly change needs to be made.

Again, looking at it from a revenue, and competitive stand point, not sure y the CFP wouldn’t want to expand to at least 8 teams. U eliminate a lot of controversy, give G5 programs a better chance, tier 1 “meaningless” bowl games now can be rotated apart of the NY6 bowls, more TV revenue...I mean, it makes too much sense. The NY6 bowls will always be in full rotation as a CFP, which will make their sponsors happy.

Again, not sure y this is not happening. Cut the Reg season to 11 games + conference championship, and play 8 bowl games to qualify the champion.

8 teams would be great but I’d still say split the G5 off. As much as I’d love to see Cincy and Coastal in there, they aren’t beating Clemson and Bama. I’d pay to see Cincy and CCU play for a G5 title though.

Miami just needs to invest properly in their football program and we can be one of those teams. Renting a stadium across town so you don't have to build your own, hiring a first-time AD, a first-time head coach, and multiple first-time position coaches on the cheap is not going to get it done.

Having a shoestring recruiting budget and a the bare minimum number of analysts is not going to get it done. Not in today's football.

Miami just has to DECIDE it wants to compete, and be willing to spend money. The rest would fall in to place.

In other words, we don't need to rig the game to compete. All we need is for our BOT to decide football is important enough to invest in, and we'll be a playoff team.

Advertisement
I disagree on the G5 schools having an issue picking a top 4. Routinely how many G5 schools are top 25? Seems like it would be pretty easy based on the past couple years to figure out. A healthy mix of Cincy, Memphis, Houston, App St, UCF, Boise, BYU, and now maybe Liberty, SJSU, CCU, and Louisiana could be in the yearly mix. Would be very entertaining IMO and a big tv draw. Certainly more dramatic of a selection show.
I like the above pool of teams in that scenario. Its just that you dont want the same pile of turds playing for the title every year like you do in the P5. It just seems like to me the same issue would exist. I think another poster put it best about Cincy and how they were railroaded this year, If it were up to me (and it isnt) Cincy, Coast Carolina would be there with Bama and Clemson. I can hear it all now. They would get smoked. Maybe, maybe not but at least give them their shot.

I like the above pool of teams in that scenario. Its just that you dont want the same pile of turds playing for the title every year like you do in the P5. It just seems like to me the same issue would exist. I think another poster put it best about Cincy and how they were railroaded this year, If it were up to me (and it isnt) Cincy, Coast Carolina would be there with Bama and Clemson. I can hear it all now. They would get smoked. Maybe, maybe not but at least give them their shot.

That pool is much larger than the P5 pool and each team is a lot more vulnerable than the ones in P5.

They absolutely need to figure out how to expand this. The general public is sick of seeing the same 4 or 5 teams in the championship each year.

I’m down with this. Also thought for the G5, why not make a stipulation to be one of the 8 teams, either go undefeated with a strength of schedule above a set limit. I’m sure some kinks can be ironed out, but just a thought.

Advertisement
Back