Couple key words for 2017 season

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Up to this point of fall camp, having listened to all the interviews, read all the summaries and paid attention to what the players are saying, the two words most consistently mentioned by varying positions and coaches are:

1) Urgent
2) Efficient

I wouldn't be surprised if they're literally written somewhere in the building and if the coaches haven't made it a point of emphasis to repeat these to the players in group meetings. Listen for these words in the interviews.

What might it mean?

I think Richt and crew finally have their program settled. Last year, it seemed like everything was in transition. There was a monumental culture shift we all prayed for after the previous staff. In interviews, we often heard key word patterns like aggression, consistent, "do your job," etc.

The change to urgency and efficiency seems to mean we're there in terms of foundation. What it may mean for the players is it seems like they're being asked to be self-directed. The repetition of the word "efficiency" - across position groups - shows me the coaches are getting into the details now instead of worried about trotting out a semblance of their plan.

In business transformations, usually after a takeover or when a business is failing and brings in a new leader, this is a common 2nd step. Next up are likely to be keywords like "finishing," "creativity/being loose" or "having fun."

Advertisement
Good stuff, Lu. Agree. This speaks to the "next step" we're all hungry for and that I think many of us feel we're right on the brink of taking.

I'll add that I've noticed multiple players (can't remember if coaches said it) repeating the phrase "sky's the limit." Not sure where that's originating from, but I like the sound of it. That, to me, screams CONFIDENCE. Which fits nicely into your transition theme.

Last edited:
I like the word "Urgent". And even though I know this isnt the context they were probably using it in but I am ready for this program to have a sense of urgency about themselves. No more "wait until next year" or "In two years we will be ready to play with Bama" talk...Why not now? I mean Jesus we havent been to a BCS bowl game in 14 years! It aint that hard nowadays to get in one either as FSU limped to the Orange Bowl with 3 conference losses and one of them being a slaughterhouse from UL by 50 points!

As fans we have waited long enough. Time for these Seniors who have never beaten FSU to have that sense of urgency. Time for guys like Trevor Darling and KC McDermott who both came in here as highly rated prospects to have that sense of urgency. This is a highly anticipated season as most of us finally feel like we have the pieces. Time for these players to have that same feeling.

(sorry for thread jacking LuCane. Had to get that off my chest)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Up to this point of fall camp, having listened to all the interviews, read all the summaries and paid attention to what the players are saying, the two words most consistently mentioned by varying positions and coaches are:

1) Urgent
2) Efficient

I wouldn't be surprised if they're literally written somewhere in the building and if the coaches haven't made it a point of emphasis to repeat these to the players in group meetings. Listen for these words in the interviews.

What might it mean?

I think Richt and crew finally have their program settled. Last year, it seemed like everything was in transition. There was a monumental culture shift we all prayed for after the previous staff. In interviews, we often heard key word patterns like aggression, consistent, "do your job," etc.

The change to urgency and efficiency seems to mean we're there in terms of foundation. What it may mean for the players is it seems like they're being asked to be self-directed. The repetition of the word "efficiency" - across position groups - shows me the coaches are getting into the details now instead of worried about trotting out a semblance of their plan.

In business transformations, usually after a takeover or when a business is failing and brings in a new leader, this is a common 2nd step. Next up are likely to be keywords like "finishing," "creativity/being loose" or "having fun."

I like this. When coaches talk about guys "having fun out there", it means they're winning.

That's what I like about bringing in grad transfers like Delaney, guys who already have NFL draft grades, and have a sense of urgency about them. For example, Rumph said today Delaney has a;ready taken over the room. Granted, he still needs to play well, but having guys like him, and Colbert last year can only help the young guys.

Advertisement
Back