County Planning to Extend MetroMover to MLS/UM Joint Stadium

a 40 to 45,000 Seat stadium is perfect and most idea. Even in our most dominant times we attracted 30,000 to Rutgers and Temple....

Perfect Example:

November 3, 2001 12:00 PM vs Temple (UM #1 in the Country) A total of 31,128 showed up.

Now we are Temple 2.0 and draw about the same number. How ironic

Advertisement
a 40 to 45,000 Seat stadium is perfect and most ideal. Even in our most dominant times we attracted 30,000 to Rutgers and Temple....

Perfect Example:

November 3, 2001 12:00 PM vs Temple (UM #1 in the Country) A total of 31,128 showed up.

Exactly. I was at almost every single home game from 1990-1997, and other than the big-time opponents, the Orange Bowl had many empty seats.

Even if we do reach this agreement for the stadium I don't see us just getting out of the lease and I don't see UM wanting to pay to get out. I see something like we play at least one game at sunlife a year tbd on the opponent and then 2 games per year when we have FSU at home.

This would probably still include a little cash to leave full time as well.

Im sure UM met with Ross in advance to meeting with Beckham...

Ya I'm sure they did and they probably made some sort of arrangement of that kind. Ross makes $50 million per year through Miami football playing at Sun Life. It's not just that easy to let that go especially when you just made $450 million renovations.

What source do you have that says he makes $50 million per year?

Al Golden's fault, you know this.
a 40 to 45,000 Seat stadium is perfect and most ideal. Even in our most dominant times we attracted 30,000 to Rutgers and Temple....

Perfect Example:

Even if we do reach this agreement for the stadium I don't see us just getting out of the lease and I don't see UM wanting to pay to get out. I see something like we play at least one game at sunlife a year tbd on the opponent and then 2 games per year when we have FSU at home.

Ya I'm sure they did and they probably made some sort of arrangement of that kind. Ross makes $50 million per year through Miami football playing at Sun Life. It's not just that easy to let that go especially when you just made $450 million renovations.

I'll see if I can find it I saw it the other day

Advertisement

My bad it's $4 million a year but that would add up to $60 million over the remaining 14 years of the lease

Stephen Ross Rakes in ‘More Than $4 Million Annually’ for Canes Football at Sun Life « CBS Miami

My bad it's $4 million a year but that would add up to $60 million over the remaining 14 years of the lease

[url=http://miami.cbslocal.com/2015/06/08/stephen

That is a big difference. That is $4 million of revenue, not profit. Miami should be able to negotiate something to get out of the lease.

This is the opportunity of a lifetime for Miami to get its own stadium. Furthermore, it should generate more income from ticket sales, suites, sponsors, parking, liquor, apparel, etc. Not to mention, the MLS partnership allows us to sell liquor at all events.

I believe this move can and will save the program in the long run.

Ya I realized it was a big difference lol I was reading it late the other night and just skimmed it. I'm all for this new stadium, I like the location and everything compared to SunLife. Makes recruits and players see Miami as more of a home. A 40k packed out stadium with no empty seats is much more intimidating to an opponent than an 80k stadium with 40k empty seats. Just from a noise standpoint it seems like its more on top of you.

I would never oppose a state of the art stadium. Just hope it's atleast 40k maybe with the ability to go up to 45 or 50.

Ya I realized it was a big difference lol I was reading it late the other night and just skimmed it. I'm all for this new stadium, I like the location and everything compared to SunLife. Makes recruits and players see Miami as more of a home. A 40k packed out stadium with no empty seats is much more intimidating to an opponent than an 80k stadium with 40k empty seats. Just from a noise standpoint it seems like its more on top of you.

I would never oppose a state of the art stadium. Just hope it's atleast 40k maybe with the ability to go up to 45 or 50.

There is no doubt that a minimum 50k seat stadium is the inevitable.

Advertisement
FWIW, Oregon, widely considered one of the toughest places to play, seats just at 54K and was at 42K until '02.

FWIW, Oregon, widely considered one of the toughest places to play, seats just at 54K and was at 42K until '02.

They have a roof or something hanging partially over the field that deflects the noise back onto the playing field correct?

He makes a little 4 million a year from the canes not 50. Read the Barry Jackson column I linked.

Ross will make a total of 60 some million over the lifespan of the 17 year lease. UM admin believes he will be willing to come to an agreement in order to get out of the deal.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...s-ummls-update-golden-heat-draft-marlins.html

Last edited:
Advertisement

He makes a little 4 million a year from the canes not 50. Read the Barry Jackson column I linked.

Ross will make a total of 60 some million over the lifespan of the 17 year lease. UM admin believes he will be willing to come to an agreement in order to get out of the deal.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...s-ummls-update-golden-heat-draft-marlins.html

Ya i corrected myself above lol I just skimmed it late one night and I guess I didnt fully comprehend what I read

What's the total cost expected to be of the proposed stadium? I can only go off my experience from up in Minnesota where the gophers built a beautiful 52,000 seat stadium - however the student section rarely sells out. The upper deck of the student section is virtually empty for 11am games. The rest of the stadium is typically full though. It is a really nice place and huge jumbotron - I think it is the 3rd or 4th biggest screen in college football. Vikes have been playing there temporarily while the new Vikes stadium is being built. Sadly enough I stormed the field when the Gophers kicked Nebraska's *** 2 years ago.

TCF Bank Stadium - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 30610

Back at the old OB site, something like this would be perfect. I bet everything that we could fill a 52K stadium at the proposed site.

I don't understand the value of a stadium that isn't big enough to host our biggest/most important/toughest home games.

Can someone explain that for me?

Not being big enough for 1 game < being way too big for 5 games. In an ideal world we'd be able to fill SLS for most games if we had a decent team. Sad fact is that even when we were throwing out the best team in the history of college football that there were plentyyyyyy of good seats still available at the OB for nooners against Pitt or Rutgers.

^^^^^ This. Since we're all behind computers, I don't know how many fans are new to the U and how many are long, long time fans; but speaking as a fan of the U since 87 (5yrs old), a 40k stadium is going to be just fine. Even when we were killing it, the OB would still be low key empty by top program standards. This new stadium will be just right for us, and we can still use SLS for the marquee games on the season. We're finally getting something positive, and we have mopers complaining about the size. Check out TCU's stadium, or better yet, go to one of their games and see how live a 40k stadium is.

Advertisement

[MENTION=7430]Hurricanes[/MENTION]: Yeah, I think that figure is a lot off. I could've sworn that I just read that Ross makes $4m annually from the Canes. Maybe the poster look at potential loss revenue if the lease was broken, but I'm more than positive the Canes are not netting Ross $50m/yr.

16.7k total students get free tickets. Each game about 5-8k students show up and for the big games there's about 8-12k. Then we have the faculty and family who get discounted or free tickets. Then we give out around 50-300 recruit tickets a game (basketball, football, baseball and more) and each recruit gets two extra tickets. Then we have the young alumni that stay in the area and get season tickets for pretty cheap iirc.

Furthermore, we have the free tickets that players give out to their families. All that is already in the 15-21k per game range. There also 7k+ hurricane club members not including their families who get tickets as well. Lastly, add in the other season ticket holders and we are over 40k. We don't get a lot of butts in seats but over 40k tickets are being distributed/purchased.

I would love 48-50k stadium with the ability to expand to 55-60k for big games. If this comes to fruition I imagine UM will cave, or possibly willingly accept, the 40k number.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion anything larger than 40 to 45K is building the church for Easter Sunday. Build up some demand make people get off their butts and buy tickets and go if they want to see it.

Advertisement
Back