Counters to be suspended 2 years?

Advertisement
I can get behind that logic, but this was needed 18 months ago, not right now, imo
That's the way NCAA has always worked. At the speed of frozen molasses. Here is a live feed of the NCAA approving some paperwork.
Office Sloth GIF by Disney Zootopia

Advertisement
Should help us with 2023. TOC's latest roster makeup shows 26 seniors and superseniors going into next season, and I'm sure we'll have several more younger players leave for multiple reasons beyond graduation, meaning we'll be (well) under the 85 cap by then even with a full 25 in the 2023 class.

Nornmally, a team takes 3-5 years for a full turnaround. Mario could do it in 2.

Advertisement
So it seems that it helps a) the schools that lost a bunch of a transfers or b) the teams willing to sacrifice players for new blood (your Bamas and Georgias of the world)
Someone decided to throw UCLA and Maryland a bone.

This doesn't help much unless they increase the 85 scholarship limit temporarily as well....otherwise, this only benefits schools that capped out on incoming players, but lost a lot to the portal and are under 85 due to it.
playing 12 games plus a conference championship plus two games to win a championship : it make sense to increase scholarship limit back to 95 : injuries redshirts, and mid season transfers, players sitting out bowl games puts lots of strain on the rosters :

This doesn't help much unless they increase the 85 scholarship limit temporarily as well....otherwise, this only benefits schools that capped out on incoming players, but lost a lot to the portal and are under 85 due to it.
I hate to say it, but the big losers in this will be the end-of-bench guys. If you aren't in the two-deep, and weren't recruited by that coach, you will be dumped into the portal and replaced.

One of the reasons they have a 25-limit is to protect players from this action. If a coach can cut you and replace you without restriction, you will see a lot of kids get the boot whose only sin was not being good enough for a program that chose to offer you.

The NCAA is rapidly turning into a mechanism for the top programs to keep their grip on being a top program rather than any sort of organization to promote the wellbeing of its players.

Advertisement
I hate to say it, but the big losers in this will be the end-of-bench guys. If you aren't in the two-deep, and weren't recruited by that coach, you will be dumped into the portal and replaced.

One of the reasons they have a 25-limit is to protect players from this action. If a coach can cut you and replace you without restriction, you will see a lot of kids get the boot whose only sin was not being good enough for a program that chose to offer you.

The NCAA is rapidly turning into a mechanism for the top programs to keep their grip on being a top program rather than any sort of organization to promote the wellbeing of its players.

I tend to agree with you. Many times, I look at the "macro" situation (the Portal is filled with guys, the only way to get them out is to loosen the IC limits), but there is also a "micro" problem (each and every team is incentivized to boot more guys if they have an easier pathway to replacing them).

If you really wanted to get crazy and experiment with parity tactics like the NFL does, you could create "Replacement ICs" that can be used in the Portal based on performance - in a 12 game season, if you lose 12 games, you get 12 replacement ICs, you lose 11 games, you get 11 replacement ICs, etc. A lot of teams that lose that many games will be replacing their head coaches anyhow, so it makes logical sense.

All of sudden we aren’t crunching numbers on loaded 23 and 24 WR classes… taking Emory Williams and Rashada isn’t a problem. Can rebuild the entire OL and DL in one cycle and still supplement other positions.
I love the enthusiasm! I see it a little differently. I think it is possible to do what you said. I do not think it is probable. For starters, some of the NIL money will soften some dudes. Im not sure we want a team of mercenaries. The way the roster could get staggered may pose problems down the road. If rebuilding the roster we have more hs seniors sign with us, then we have a huge class to replace in 4 years without being able to sign a bunch of kids. If we hit the portal, well 1 year players don't rebuild a roster the way traditional hs seniors.

Advertisement
That is exactly the problem they are trying to solve - schools like ASU lost 28 kids to the portal alone and only get to recuperate 7 of those slots. So net 21 gone plus whatever they lost to draft/graduation.

I know that ASU has some reasons that likely caused those departures, but they are the prime example of what they are trying to address.

Edit: I made the cardinal sin of not reading the whole thread before replying and see that several others have already called this out.

Last edited:

Yep - the rule was put in place to stop (primarily) SEC schools from over signing recruiting classes and either forcing kids off the team or making recruits wait to enroll. Situations like when Houston Nutt signed 37 kids in one signing class.

Now the pendulum has swung the other way.

Advertisement
Back