Could this be Jakai's breakout year

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jumper is very ugly…. But if it’s effective it won’t matter.

but I will be the bad guy and say it: that video doesn’t instill much confidence going into this year given the fact he’s looked unplayable in limited appearances for 2 years.
It looks like he’s practicing mechanics and shooting slowly there. Maybe redeveloping his shot?

Advertisement
He’s played a grand total of 18 minutes in his first 2 years... & that’s over a 7 game-span.

He’ll either be the greatest development story in program history or he just doesn’t have what it takes to play at this level.

I’m not expecting him to play much if any at all, but anything we can get out of him will be plus.

He’s played a grand total of 18 minutes in his first 2 years... & that’s over a 7 game-span.

He’ll either be the greatest development story in program history or he just doesn’t have what it takes to play at this level.

I’m not expecting him to play much if any at all, but anything we can get out of him will be plus.
If true, I can't believe Coach L wasn't able to "suggest" Jakai seek his basketball career elsewhere.

Advertisement
Give the young man the benefit of the doubt. Obviously, he waited for his opportunity and was a contributor on the scout team (something that’s essential but unseen).

If he brings nothing this year, then so be it. But I think he’ll contribute.

Given that Coach L has a history of not playing freshman and the fact that Robinson is in his 3rd year in the program means he has his best chance ever of getting minutes.
Also factor in that Miami only has 11 scholarship players, he should get significant playing time which will feel like a breakout season compared to the limited minutes he has played in his first two years at Miami.
To truly be a breakout season, he has to be productive and you have to ask yourself, what is realistic production for a guy with his limited playing experience?
10 points per game and over 35% on 3pt FGs would be huge but is that realistic.
The exhibition tour will give us a glimpse of what the season may hold.

Jumper is very ugly…. But if it’s effective it won’t matter.

but I will be the bad guy and say it: that video doesn’t instill much confidence going into this year given the fact he’s looked unplayable in limited appearances for 2 years.
Given his height and how slow the shot is, I don't see how it can be that effective. Looks like a contest would bother it a lot. Also worth noting in he video that they did not show more than one make in a row. His jumper may be off but he could still have value as a slasher or something, or maybe even as as shooter. He's definitely not close to as fluid as Wong, but he is a similar bodytype and everything I think we can't make assumptions until we see game action.

Advertisement
Given that Coach L has a history of not playing freshman and the fact that Robinson is in his 3rd year in the program means he has his best chance ever of getting minutes.
Also factor in that Miami only has 11 scholarship players, he should get significant playing time which will feel like a breakout season compared to the limited minutes he has played in his first two years at Miami.
To truly be a breakout season, he has to be productive and you have to ask yourself, what is realistic production for a guy with his limited playing experience?
10 points per game and over 35% on 3pt FGs would be huge but is that realistic.
The exhibition tour will give us a glimpse of what the season may hold.
That is categorically not true. He plays freshmen. He does not necessarily start them unless he thinks they are ready. Newton, Huell, the list is pretty long. For instance, Lykes had starts on an NCAA team.

Green isn't always greener. Some kids like where they are at. Maybe they have a lot of confidence in him going into his redshirt sophomore season and told him as such. They really like Watson and he played 4 more games and 20 more minutes than Robinson.

I’m conflicted because two fundamental features of Coach L appear (not actually are, but only possibly appear) to be in tension.

1) L does not sell false promises to players. All of the transfers out this year got an honest eval from the staff and acted accordingly. Not saying they were all told to transfer (they weren’t), but they were told the truth. For example, Bev wanted a feature/starring role and he was not likely going to get that here next year.

2) I have not heard L talk much about Jakai. The lack of hearing about Jakai would make it somewhat surprising for him to jump into a large role in the rotation (as compared to - for example - Watson, who L has talked about and, as you said, really likes).

You’d think if Jakai was totally buried with no hope of contributing that (in this day and age) he’d take a ride in the portal to a place/level where he could see game action. OTOH there haven’t been many signs or tea leaves to suggest Jakai is seriously contending for a spot in the rotation.

Will be interesting. I think he’s a really good kid so I’m pulling hard for a good surprise.

Advertisement
Back