Could Miami add another Southridge safety?

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Image-1.jpg

The Miami Hurricanes already have one Southridge safety in their 2017 recruiting class in Billy Gibson – could they be adding another?

CanesInSight caught up with Antwan Collier – a recent Illinois decommitment who the Hurricanes have had on their radar for a while.

Although Collier does not yet have a Miami offer, Canes safeties coach Ephraim Banda and cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph have maintained steady contact with him – the 6’3” defensive even noted that Illinois and Miami are the two schools who he speaks with the most.

Collier says that Miami coaches are recruiting him as a safety. He plays mostly cornerback (and quarterback) in high school, but Collier told me he’s very open to playing safety because he can “come down and hit somebody”.

With Southridge in the midst of a playoff run that most expect to go a long distance, ideally Collier’s focus would be completely on the field, but he is working towards enrolling in January so he must have his decision soon. He is finishing up a virtual school English course online, which he said would be finished the first week of December.

“I’m still focused on recruiting,” Collier said. “Coach Banda, Coach Rumph, and Coach Diaz have been recruiting me. They like my film.”

The Hurricanes have two safeties committed right now in Amari Carter and Collier’s teammate Gibson, but Collier cold potentially give them more of a free safety prospect. The question is – will the Canes offer? Not even Collier knows.

“They’re trying to see where everyone lands and who is going to commit to them,” he said.

What Collier does seem certain of though, is where his heart would be if he lands an offer in the eleventh hour. I asked him if Miami would be his leader if they offered, and without hesitation his response was, “yes”.

“I’ve been liking UM (for a while). I thought they were going to offer me when Paul Williams was there. But I’ve been wanting to go to UM,” he added.

Last week in his team’s playoff game, Collier threw up the “U” after an interception. Another sign that he appears ready to jump at a Miami offer. We should know more on this in the coming weeks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I understand stand that. I hope the staff knows what there doing, we need to give nesbitt from BA a serious look.

Advertisement
If he is being recruited as a safety, who else are we waiting on, before we offer?

I thought it was Gibson and Carter and that was it at Safety?

Unless he's in the same category as Edwards, Brini as a CB/S. But it seems like we're not on Brini as hard

Advertisement
So if he's coming in a free saftey who are the recruiting for the CB position?

Miami is being VERY secretive with names at this spot. Don't think they want other schools to be tipped off.

Secretive because they're trying to flip committed kids, or secretive because they don't want other P5 teams evaluating some under-the-radar kids?

Don't know if I can remember a secret recruitment.

Miami is being VERY secretive with names at this spot. Don't think they want other schools to be tipped off.

Secretive because they're trying to flip committed kids, or secretive because they don't want other P5 teams evaluating some under-the-radar kids?

Don't know if I can remember a secret recruitment.

****, I'm just happy to have coaches who are like trying to get kids and stuff.

Advertisement

Finallly real **** but this tells u how dirty other programs are daaaaaamn this a huge red flag

It screams weak too cuz u worried that other schools have the better resources and u cantcompete. Thats crazy and i know it has to do with them not being able to go head to head cuz that bread is long $ec

Last edited:
Billy Gibson has never impressed me. I get he hits hard but meh.
J. Carter 2.0

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Diagnoses and plays much faster than Jamal Carter.

Agree. Horrible comparison between the two.

Billy will be a good one , I'm really big on him.

He can lay a hit like Carter and they're both from the Ridge is the only similarities. I think Gibson has better ball skills in addition to playing faster. He'll be coached better from day 1 which Carter didn't have that luxury, and he won't get the boneheaded penalties every game

Advertisement
Back