Cornerbacks Coach Candidates- 2021

Another name to consider is Kevin Curtis: https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-curtis/5320

He’s the current CB’s coach for SMU, he’s originally from Lubbock TX & played Safety at Texas Tech.

He started out coaching at Navarro College, then got hired as CB’s coach at LA Tech by Sonny Dykes when Dykes was at LA Tech, he then got hired at TTech during Kliff Kingsbury tenure as a local Lubbock coach there, then after 2 years at TTech got re-hired at LA Tech under Skip Holtz & was CB’s coach alongside Baker at LA Tech for 2 years, he then followed Dykes over to SMU & was there with Lashlee in 2018.

He’s a local Lubbock guy & played at TTech for 2 years of Sonny Dykes’s tenure as WR’s coach there under Mike Leach in the early 00’s. I doubt he would leave Texas, but given that he’s coached with Baker & is familiar with Lashlee as well I’m sure he’s someone that will at least be discussed in the event we miss on other CB’s coaches.

He’s actually a very good recruiter, during his tenure at TTech he signed QB Jett Duffey (Mansfield TX), WR Keke Coutee (who’s a current speedster for the Texans, if you’ve watched any Texans games in the last couple years who know who he is), LB Jordyn Brooks (from Houston) who just got drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft to Seahawks & actually has 24 recruits he’s signed under his belt with 19 of them with him as the Primary recruiter.
He also coached up CB Amik Robertson his TF season at LA Tech.

And just this class at SMU flipped a 4-star Safety out of Dallas from Baylor.

He’s a very skilled recruiter & is another highly plugged in guy in Texas with signings from multiple top schools in Houston & Dallas, he also recruited Louisiana & got Kevin Moore from Acadiana (which is one of the best schools in Lafayette).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Nah man nothin exist in the world besides Canes Football. Why would he tweet about that nonsense
Naked Gun Movie GIF

Advertisement
Hope it’s just a courtesy but I’ve heard DVD is basically either getting the CB job here or going to Utah State. Not coming back to his office position. No shocker there.

But sounds like Manny is strongly considering it and doesn’t want him to go. Gaining steam I guess. Like I said I hope it’s just a courtesy to make him feel more important than he actually is in this search.

Not a shot at DVD but it is what it is. If it happens... count out any of the elite DB coaches that aren’t coming here to coach just safety.

Hope it’s just a courtesy but I’ve heard DVD is basically either getting the CB job here or going to Utah State. Not coming back to his office position. No shocker there.

But sounds like Manny is strongly considering it and doesn’t want him to go. Gaining steam I guess. Like I said I hope it’s just a courtesy to make him feel more important than he actually is in this search.

Not a shot at DVD but it is what it is. If it happens... count out any of the elite DB coaches that aren’t coming here to coach just safety.
Dallas Cowboys Eye Roll GIF by ScooterMagruder

Advertisement

the only way this makes sense (DVD) is bringing in someone else to coach the entire secondary since DVD has no real experience coaching CBs. he might be a great recruiter and great guy, but he's not ready for this job.

the only way this makes sense (DVD) is bringing in someone else to coach the entire secondary since DVD has no real experience coaching CBs. he might be a great recruiter and great guy, but he's not ready for this job.
They wouldn’t be bringing in anyone to babysit him.

Advertisement
Another name to consider is Kevin Curtis: https://smumustangs.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/kevin-curtis/5320

He’s the current CB’s coach for SMU, he’s originally from Lubbock TX & played Safety at Texas Tech.

He started out coaching at Navarro College, then got hired as CBS coach at LA Tech by Sonny Dykes when Dykes was at LA Tech, he then got hired at TTech during Kliff Kingsbury tenure as a local LubboHC there, then after 2 years at TTech got re-hired at LA Tech under Skip Holtz & was CB’s coach alongside Baker at LA Tech for 2 years, he then followed Dykes over to SMU & was there with Lashlee in 2018.

He’s a local Lubbock guy & played at TTech for 2 years of Sonny Dykes’s tenure as WR’s coach there under Mike Leach in the early 00’sso I doubt he would leave Texas, but given that he’s coached with Baker & is familiar with Lashlee as well I’m sure he’s someone that will at least be discussed in the event we miss on other CB’s coaches.

He’s actually a very good recruiter, during his tenure at TTech he signed QB Jett Duffey (Mansfield TX), WR Keke Coutee (who’s a current speedster for the Texans, if you’ve watched any Texans games in the last couple years who know who he is), LB Jordyn Brooks (from Houston) who just got drafted in the 1st round of the 2020 draft to Seahawks & actually has 24 recruits he’s signed under his belt with 19 of them with him as the Primary recruiter.
He also coached up CB Amik Robertson his TF season at LA Tech.

And just this class at SMU flipped a 4-star Safety out of Dallas from Baylor.

He’s a very skilled recruiter & is another highly plugged in guy in Texas with signings from multiple top schools in Houston & Dallas, he also recruited Louisiana & got Kevin Moore from Acadiana (which is one of the best schools in Lafayette).
What are your feelings on getting randall joyner from SMU on staff coaching lbs or maybe even some part of the dl? Seems hungry and well respected.

@htownkidd don’t quote me on this because Idk exactly how true it is, but I texted with a South FL HS coach who’s worked with T-Rob in the past (sending him players lol) & I just simply asked him would he come here & the coach told me T-Rob is going to the highest bidder.

At South Car he was making $1,180,750 & apparently he’s looking for anywhere from $1.5 - to just under $2mill.

Kevin Steele at Auburn was making $2.5mill as Malzahn’s DC, Brent Venables makes $2.1mill at Clem, Mike Elko makes $2.1mill at TAMU & Todd Grantham makes $1.8mill at UF, so he’s basically looking to get top dollar & be paid like some of the top DC’s in Football.

What I’m interested in knowing is, if AU is after him are they moving on from Kevin Steele or are they going to dish out over $1.5mill for a Co-DC & DB’s coach to add on with Steele?

Idk how much money Manny has been given to hire assistants, but if we hire T-Rob I don’t see how we could keep Baker on staff as well unless he gets demoted & is no longer the DC, otherwise T-Rob might price himself out of what Miami would be willing to pay, but that depends on if they plan on bringing him in as a DC or just CB’s coach.

Advertisement
@htownkidd don’t quote me on this because Idk exactly how true it is, but I texted with a South FL HS coach who’s worked with T-Rob in the past (sending him players lol) & I just simply asked him would he come here & the coach told me T-Rob is going to the highest bidder.

At South Car he was making $1,180,750 & apparently he’s looking for anywhere from $1.5 - to just under $2mill.

Kevin Steele at Auburn was making $2.5mill as Malzahn’s DC, Brent Venables makes $2.1mill at Clem, Mike Elko makes $2.1mill at TAMU & Todd Grantham makes $1.8mill at UF, so he’s basically looking to get top dollar & be paid like some of the top DC’s in Football.

What I’m interested in knowing is, if AU is after him are they moving on from Kevin Steele or are they going to dish out over $1.5mill for a Co-DC & DB’s coach to add on with Steele?

Idk how much money Manny has been given to hire assistants, but if we hire T-Rob I don’t see how we could keep Baker on staff as well unless he gets demoted & is no longer the DC, otherwise T-Rob might price himself out of what Miami would be willing to pay, but that depends on if they plan on bringing him in as a DC or just CB’s coach.
do you think T Rob is a first rate DC?

Interesting. I don’t blame him for seeking his cash, but he is smoking kangaroo **** if he thinks he is going to get top dollar DC money like Venables, Steele, etc at one of the big boy schools. He aint a top dollar DC, and if someone pays him top dollar money to call plays, that is a huge risk. He hasn’t proved anything yet as a DC/play caller. I still hope we swing our bat. Give him Co-DC title and the entire secondary but get someone else in here to call plays. Highly unrealistic, I know but just my dream lol.

...and if Harsin is smart, he keeps Steele. He needs as much help on the trail as possible down there. Steele knows everyone there is to know and then some in SEC country.

I’m apprehensive about hiring him as a DC, though, because he doesn’t necessarily have a proven track record as a coordinator. We know what he can do as a DB coach, but what’s your thoughts about him as an autonomous DC?

Advertisement
Back