Corner Back truck stop

Advertisement
UAB went 3-15 on 3rd down, had less than 300 yards and scored 7 points offensively.

Why are so many of you so out of control?
It’s the eye test. While everything you posted is true, reality is that people saw open personnel running wide open all game. Their QB could not find them. When you couple that with the fact that we continue to make every middling QB we face in our conference look like Manning in his prime, you get the reaction you get.

OP: spot on! We have sucked at recruiting CB (which for those of you remarking about the upcoming game should be aware that this is in the Recruiting Board thread). We need help BAD! And if Blades decides to leave this year, we are straight up SCREWED. We really needed J Marshall. We need many 4*s, not a single one each class. I said it in another post, while I have had concerns for Rumph in the past but liked the guy, I have totally lost confidence. He needs to go...period.

People talk about him putting Corn Elder and Adrian Colbert in the league (both of them are super talented and athletic guys...Corn was a 4* too). I will admit that he did wonders with Mike Jackson, but one good story over the last 6 years is a joke, and what has he done over the last 2 years...nothing. We are converting a WR into a corner in 2021 class. Why can’t we get a 4* on board instead? Why hasn’t Markevious Brown committed already with all of the momentum we have gong for us (is he really considering VT over his home town team)?

We need some introspection on the CB coach and action ASAP before it gets any worse. I may be agreeing with an unpopular thought going into game 2 of the season, but we need to be prepared to cut bait and hire the next guy that may be able to get it done. Manny should be hunting out who that guy is now. We may need to pony up for a proper CB coach, and not pay for an alumni discount. Bottom line, we need help or whatever work is being put in by the others will be cancelled out by the deficiency at CB.
This is what I’m saying. I’m not expecting us to recruit or have eight 6 foot dudes that run a 4.3.
But we should have no problem having at least 3 other players at corner back that can play d1 ball and not have to be reaching for “projects” at the last minute or have to go to freaking Daphne Alabama for a corner.

It’s the eye test. While everything you posted is true, reality is that people saw open personnel running wide open all game. Their QB could not find them. When you couple that with the fact that we continue to make every middling QB we face in our conference look like Manning in his prime, you get the reaction you get.

I get you. But the eye test is only as good as the preconceived notions of who is watching. People see and focus on what they want to see.

I get you. But the eye test is only as good as the preconceived notions of who is watching. People see and focus on what they want to see.
You don’t need to focus very hard to see that we have major problems across the board though. Let’s see what happens this year but right off the bat it was more of the same. Offensive players running open in our secondary. Long way to go but at this point this has been an issue for some time now.

Advertisement
Hey rva, even though it was uab? I still think we handle louisville i think we shadow tutu with couch and put blades on dez Fitzpatrick.
I hope we do that. We’re really thin and have a lot of inexperienced guys at CB and I just haven’t felt good about the way we use our CB’s along with Baker.

It hasn’t mattered? Did you see the first half against unc? What about ivey and GT?
Those are 2 teams that have nothing compared to the dudes the top teams have.
Actually unc has a really good batch of receivers and backs. They will test our coverage and our run support. QB RB WR they are pretty elite

I hope we do that. We’re really thin and have a lot of inexperienced guys at CB and I just haven’t felt good about the way we use our CB’s along with Baker.
3 or 4 yrs ago all we had was elder, mikejack, da junior college dude and malik young!

Advertisement
Actually unc has a really good batch of receivers and backs. They will test our coverage and our run support. QB RB WR they are pretty elite
I think their receiver combo lead the acc in yards for receivers. Even higher than the Clemson duo.

Advertisement
Right now the offensive staff is lights out. Great hires. Great recruiters. The only guys on the defensive staff I like are Banda and stroud. The rest gtfo of my face.
Patke: learning to coach. Can’t recruit
Rumph: we know already
Baker: overthinking everything. Recruiting is meh. The changes he made to manny’s scheme imo are not positive changes. He coaches like he doesn’t have the talent advantage
I couldn't agree more with you!

Advertisement
Pin this, please.
This should be a primary CB recruiting thread with film and analysis. Because we need CB's like crazy, man.

Advertisement
Back