2023 Cormani McClain CB Commits to Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps I missed something in this mess of a thread, but it sounds to me like Mario may scapegoat Addae and go the UM retread route ala Mike Rumph.

Now I'm not suggesting Addae should be retained, but hiring Rumph simply because he is an upgrade over Addae is a head scratcher.

Makes me wonder:

- Why wasn't Rumph retained in the first place?
- Why did Mario go after Addae?
- Why are we settling for Rumph?
- Why aren't we targeting better coaching candidates?

Do you understand the definition of scapegoat?

Whatever happens to Addae, based on this past year, is deserved.

Advertisement
Nobody said that definitively.. But it was mentioned that there was a push for Rumph back into an on field role. And DVD also.
they were responding to the question about who could help DVD coach the secondary

Nobody said that definitively.. But it was mentioned that there was a push for Rumph back into an on field role. And DVD also.
Dude....I'm well aware....If you go back to last night on this same thread you'll see...you're way behind.

We’ve got crazy money being thrown at having the best coaches we’ve EVER had and we want to stick a dude who was average (at best) as a developer and terrible as a recruiter in Mike while pairing him with an ace of a recruiter with a learn on the job developer.

We joke all the time about just hiring all canes but might as well bring Dre in for WRs, Edge for RBs, shockey for TEs, mckinney for Oline etc…

Advertisement
Part of me feels like Mario's stubbornness probably kicks in too, as in why would I let a recruit dictate the make up of my coaching staff, even separate to it making sense/DVD deserving an element of the db room.

I could be off though haha

Then why didn’t we have him as coach from the beginning when we ended up settling for Addae last year…
Fair question. Maybe Mario wanted all 3 coaches. DVD and Rumph were already on staff in support roles. He then added Addae so he essentially had 3 secondary coaches (plus Ed Reed) to assist with practices (albeit only one was an on field coach).

After evaluating all 3, Mario has hopefully come to the conclusion that DVD is the best of the lot when it comes to recruiting and Mike is the best when it comes to teaching and developing players. Addae becomes expendable.

Just a theory.

Advertisement
a lot of revisionist thinking going on in this post.
Agreed. Rumph was vilified by CIS. The consensus of the Board was that while he was an adequate teacher, his inability to recruit impactful DBs was too much of a liability and ultimately cost him his role. Ironically, he was put in charge of community relations or something like that which (on its face) requires interpersonal skills which many believe he lacks.

His recruiting misses were understandable, but difficult to accept so most supported Manny’s decision to replace Mike. Personally, I like the idea of a DVD/Rumph combo coaching the secondary.

a lot of revisionist thinking going on in this post.

I think it is revisionist in the sense that PAST opinions were incorrect on Mike Rumph.

Having said that, I am not banking the table for a Rumph-DVD on-field pairing. But I do think that both are good teachers of the cornerback position.

Advertisement
If DVD coaches like he recruits he will be a great coach. Most of these kids know what they need to do they know the techniques, the tricks, etc.

But they need someone to stay on them to form good habits with the fundamentals. To many of these kids want to learn the tricks of the trade before the trade or gamble instead of keeping the course. All that it takes is 1 guy to mess up a whole play if he goes rogue....and we have that a lot over the years.

If DVD coaches like he recruits he will be a great coach. Most of these kids know what they need to do they know the techniques, the tricks, etc.

But they need someone to stay on them to form good habits with the fundamentals. To many of these kids want to learn the tricks of the trade before the trade or gamble instead of keeping the course. All that it takes is 1 guy to mess up a whole play if he goes rogue....and we have that a lot over the years.
**** his coaching can only improve. If he fills the room with kids like McClain the job gets easier too

Advertisement
How dare you sir?!?!?!

Are you saying it wasn’t a Rolodex? Was it the whole phone book? Online version?

images

Just give DVD the room. We’re a few years from winning anyway. Let him grow in those years, pay it forward or lose a homegrown talent.
if you never develop these analysts that are young coaches, what's the point imo? I get it if it's a fired ex coach who just needs a landing spot while he collects a buyout, but this isnt that. if we dont give him the shot, someone else will and **** take his recruiting connections w him

I’m saying it might have been like a blackberry with the side scroll with some contacts
lol I trust you on that. I will say, I was impressed w his D staff overall when he completed the hirings. obviously, I feel Steele was a guy that signed on after the UGAs Schumann may have said no again, but on paper it was impressive. offensively, I like smith. thats about it. I will admit that I didnt think gattis could be this bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back