Consistently Inconsistent

MainLineCane

No More Excuses / Time to win
Despite our recent surge, this season has been very disappointing ....

It could get better.🤔........It could get worse 😠

I have absolutely NO IDEA...NONE. 🙄

I've given up trying to guess which Manny team shows up to play.

That's why my wanting Manny gone will NOT change.....Because ALL I KNOW is that Manny's teams are CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT.

That hasn't changed since the 1st day he arrived.

That's a terrible quality to have and it inhibits creating or developing.a good team.

ANYONE who tells you that they KNEW which Miami team would show up for Pitt or for any other game the rest of the season....IS LYING

So YES I'm enjoying the win and YES I'm excited for the players...... BUT this team deserves far better than they've been given with Manny as HC

Advertisement
I will say this. The last 4 weeks have been consistent. We consistently played well enough to win the game. I am not saying we have completely turned the corner. but if this keeps up it's a good sign.

Bobby Bowden talked about the 4 stages of a program. Lose big, lose small, win small, win big. I do believe we have left the lose big phase. The 62-26, the 44-13 types of games are going to get rare with the way the team is currently playing. We are at the lose small, win small phase.

Ask ask yourself this one, simple question. When was the last time we beat a team after allowing their QB to break the school record for passing yards? Any and every time I can remember we let a player go off on us, we got rolled. That happened yesterday, yet we did enough to win the game. Not just be competitive, which would be better than 62-26, but actually win. That's a step forward.

No, I am not convinced Manny can lead us to titles, but I am convinced this is a better team than we saw early in the season. That's at least a step in the right direction, and I will take it.

Advertisement
Manny should have been canned but the timing screwed it up. Had this been year 4 he would have been. Now we are favored in our remaining 4 games. We can easily win out. He won't he fired at 8 and 4. Sorry this is the reality. Now he won't be extended until after we skull **** jumbo next year.

Manny should have been canned but the timing screwed it up. Had this been year 4 he would have been. Now we are favored in our remaining 4 games. We can easily win out. He won't he fired at 8 and 4. Sorry this is the reality. Now he won't be extended until after we skull **** jumbo next year.

Of course.

But we've ALL got eyes. Despite this sudden change in our fortunes, any thinking fan or administrator should already know that this blip has happened before....and will always continue to oscillate without a change being made.

Timing the change is irrelevant whether it's on an upswing or downswing. Because the pattern has already been clearly established.

We must have the courage of our convictions and carry out what clearly needs to be done ...OR continue hopefully waiting for the PERFECT moment And that may take years....and the end result will always be to fire Manny. Why waste time?

I'd rather bite the bullet now because as I've said...the ONLY thing we know is that Manny's teams have been CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT

I will say this. The last 4 weeks have been consistent. We consistently played well enough to win the game. I am not saying we have completely turned the corner. but if this keeps up it's a good sign.

Bobby Bowden talked about the 4 stages of a program. Lose big, lose small, win small, win big. I do believe we have left the lose big phase. The 62-26, the 44-13 types of games are going to get rare with the way the team is currently playing. We are at the lose small, win small phase.

Ask ask yourself this one, simple question. When was the last time we beat a team after allowing their QB to break the school record for passing yards? Any and every time I can remember we let a player go off on us, we got rolled. That happened yesterday, yet we did enough to win the game. Not just be competitive, which would be better than 62-26, but actually win. That's a step forward.

No, I am not convinced Manny can lead us to titles, but I am convinced this is a better team than we saw early in the season. That's at least a step in the right direction, and I will take it.
We have gotten better because of TVD but if we played Bama next week we would lose big again.With TVD we are now good enough to beat acc teams because we're all mediocre.Next 4 games should be cakewalks even with Diaz in charge.

We have gotten better because of TVD but if we played Bama next week we would lose big again.With TVD we are now good enough to beat acc teams because we're all mediocre.Next 4 games should be cakewalks even with Diaz in charge.
We'd lose, but it would be more competitive. Hey, it's not like Alabama would pass for more yards than Pickett just did. ;) I think that is my biggest takeaway from the game. We had a QB throw for 500+ against us, and we won. That is a bigger step forward, for our O at least, than I think people are realizing. Yes, the D needs help. However, the O is getting dialled in now, with a QB that can make ANY D nervous about defending every part of the field. When you can do that, you can beat anyone. It at least gives you the chance to do so.

Advertisement
Do what I do. Think about what the most ridiculous thing is and assume that will happen. You’ll be right quite often. Which is to say, I think we win the rest of the games except Duke.
I would not be that surprised if that actually happened.

That's why my wanting Manny gone will NOT change.....Because ALL I KNOW is that Manny's teams are CONSISTENTLY INCONSISTENT.

That's a terrible quality to have and it inhibits creating or developing.a good team.

ANYONE who tells you that they KNEW which Miami team would show up for Pitt or for any other game the rest of the season....IS LYING

So YES I'm enjoying the win and YES I'm excited for the players...... BUT this team deserves far better than they've been given with Manny as HC
I would offer it really isn't that unpredictable...

Miami's Ws are entirely predicated on the O.

Pitt's first drive is who our Miami D is, game after game.

If Miami doesn't score 35+, a loss can be expected, dare say likely.

What is concerning, as it has been in years past, is Miami's O continues to have success in bursts, then goes completely flat. This must stop.

Our Canes put enough points on the board to beat Pitt, but they never put Pitt away to win the contest on O without question, as yet again, the opponent's miscues are what helped to enable the victory.

I would agree with most of what you said, but myself, and a lot of posters on this board thought we would win yesterday. The team is rolling and the QB is slinging. Not much we can ask for. Warren Sapp isnt on the roster, and neither is Ray Lewis, so we can only deal with what we got for this year. Get me 8 wins I will be ok, all things considered.

I would not be that surprised if that actually happened.
I’m not kidding, that’s my actual prediction. I remember at least 2 times we discussed what the 3 way tie breaker was only to lose before it even came up. Also Pitt 2017. And a hundred other times.

Advertisement

When was the last time Miami didn’t get blown out during a big game they were supposed to win with real stakes on the line?

I know: ND, Wisky in OB & UF opening game. Every other game (La Tech, LSU, UNC, Bama, Wisky in bowl game, MSU, Clemson 2x) blow outs.

We open up with Texas A&M and this same defense if the HC survives this year.

I would offer it really isn't that unpredictable...

What is concerning, as it has been in years past, is Miami's O continues to have success in bursts, then goes completely flat. This must stop.

Our Canes put enough points on the board to beat Pitt, but they never put Pitt away to win the contest on O without question, as yet again, the opponent's miscues are what helped to enable the victory.
Agree

Agree

Disagree.
All 7 opponents we've played average more than 10 ppg than the next 4 we play.
1st 7 teams: 38+ ppg
Next 4: 28 ppg

The litmus test on this statement will come vs FSU and VT.
I'm going under-60 in both games.

Disagree.

Since the second half of UVA, not that bad.
What I liked most was the "answer" to the NC State TD's and the two quick TD's by Pitt to stop their mo on Saturday.

Yes, we had chances to put them away.
I'll be more specific. We were in a position to put them away at 7:00 in the 4th.

We drive 60 yards to get to 3rd and 6 on our own 30... Rambo falls down, which would have been a 1st, and Harley falls down at the 5, which would have been a completion because the D back caught the ball on his knees.
This doesn't count as a miscue?? it Only counts when the other team effs up?
Miscues, as in the INT's?
TS made a great play on the ball on the first one (play of the game).
One the second, horrible pass and/or communication on the 2nd.
Guess what? When you wing it 60 times, chances are you're going to throw some bad ones.

That last statement is a pet peeve of mine for sure.
It's been years since we've played a clean game against a decent opponent yet other teams miscues are constantly brought up.

I think you are aware of what I think of the state of the program.
I'm trying to access this team from the view point of where they are right now as opposed to where I want them to be, or where i thought they would be.

When was the last time Miami didn’t get blown out during a big game they were supposed to win with real stakes on the line?

I know: ND, Wisky in OB & UF opening game. Every other game (La Tech, LSU, UNC, Bama, Wisky in bowl game, MSU, Clemson 2x) blow outs.

We open up with Texas A&M and this same defense if the HC survives this year.
Difference being we have a QB that can survive a shootout. You honestly don't see that as a major improvement?

Listen, I agree 100%, more if it was possible, that we need a major change on D. Manny only looked good originally because Doughnuts was so bad. ****, now Manny is getting into that territory himself. He HAS to find a DC that can get the job done. If we can get a D to compliment our rising O, we could be a good team.

I'm not saying we have completely turned the corner, and as I said in my post I am not convinced Manny can lead us to titles of any kind. What I am saying is the O is improved, and the team is playing hard. That's a good start. Now, let's get some help on D ASAP.

Now I'll ask you a question. When was the last time Miami played a high stakes game with a real QB? It's been a long, long time.

Advertisement
We're actually incredibly consistent. Here is how the last 4 games have gone:

UVA: Miami ball on our own 24 with 5:36 left, down by 2. Lose the game by 2.
UNC: Miami ball on our own 28 with 2:52 left, down by 3. Lose the game by 3.
NC State: Miami ball on our own 48 with 2:55 left, up by 1. Win the game by 1.
Pitt: Miami ball on our own 2 with 4:10 left, up by 4. Win the game by 4.

Four weeks in a row against four ACC teams when we get the ball with 5 minutes or less, either leading or losing by a score. Two times the offense couldn't get it done and we lost, two times the offense had a lead and was able to kill the clock. But it's been basically the exact same game the last 4 weeks in a row.

Agree

Agree

Disagree.
All 7 opponents we've played average more than 10 ppg than the next 4 we play.
1st 7 teams: 38+ ppg
Next 4: 28 ppg

The litmus test on this statement will come vs FSU and VT.
I'm going under-60 in both games.

Disagree.

Since the second half of UVA, not that bad.
What I liked most was the "answer" to the NC State TD's and the two quick TD's by Pitt to stop their mo on Saturday.

Yes, we had chances to put them away.
I'll be more specific. We were in a position to put them away at 7:00 in the 4th.

We drive 60 yards to get to 3rd and 6 on our own 30... Rambo falls down, which would have been a 1st, and Harley falls down at the 5, which would have been a completion because the D back caught the ball on his knees.
This doesn't count as a miscue?? it Only counts when the other team effs up?
Miscues, as in the INT's?
TS made a great play on the ball on the first one (play of the game).
One the second, horrible pass and/or communication on the 2nd.
Guess what? When you wing it 60 times, chances are you're going to throw some bad ones.

That last statement is a pet peeve of mine for sure.
It's been years since we've played a clean game against a decent opponent yet other teams miscues are constantly brought up.

I think you are aware of what I think of the state of the program.
I'm trying to access this team from the view point of where they are right now as opposed to where I want them to be, or where i thought they would be.

The play at 3:30, clear hold by the tackle, who tackles our guy.

no problem, not renewing my tickets if this soap opera continues : all I realize is how bad this ACC is this year, and we are still struggling to be in the mix :

We're actually incredibly consistent. Here is how the last 4 games have gone:

UVA: Miami ball on our own 24 with 5:36 left, down by 2. Lose the game by 2.
UNC: Miami ball on our own 28 with 2:52 left, down by 3. Lose the game by 3.
NC State: Miami ball on our own 48 with 2:55 left, up by 1. Win the game by 1.
Pitt: Miami ball on our own 2 with 4:10 left, up by 4. Win the game by 4.

Four weeks in a row against four ACC teams when we get the ball with 5 minutes or less, either leading or losing by a score. Two times the offense couldn't get it done and we lost, two times the offense had a lead and was able to kill the clock. But it's been basically the exact same game the last 4 weeks in a row.
that is what we are right now a 500 team : why because we have spent the last 15 years ( not just Manny's term) handing games over to teams we have no business losing to :

Advertisement
Back