Congratulations to Michael Redding

privilege - a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group.

in today's context, it is used to infer that the person receiving the benefit has not earned what he has, which isn't the case. here. semantics.

anyways, he's earned what he has received. and congratulations to him.

Bruh, go drink some coffee & knock it off.

Advertisement
Bruh, go drink some coffee & knock it off.
I like coffee
3a6010a0-65b0-4150-be6f-9bfd0343d33f_text.gif

Low key that jacket is fire

The Iron Arrow jackets have been hand-made by the (Florida) Seminole Indians since the 1920s. They can be distinguished from the similar F$U jackets by the triangular arrow design on the left and right sides of the front collar.

Florida State selected the Seminole mascot in 1947, and some time afterwards (1970s/80s?) the F$U students began to notice the UM Iron Arrow jackets during Homecoming. F$U began to purchase the jackets in ONLY garnet/gold color combos and resell them to F$U fans.

Also, let's not forget that the OKLAHOMA Seminole Indian tribe, which is four times larger than the Florida Seminole Indian tribe, has condemned F$U's ongoing use of the Seminole mascot and logos.

The Iron Arrow jackets have been hand-made by the (Florida) Seminole Indians since the 1920s. They can be distinguished from the similar F$U jackets by the triangular arrow design on the left and right sides of the front collar.

Florida State selected the Seminole mascot in 1947, and some time afterwards (1970s/80s?) the F$U students began to notice the UM Iron Arrow jackets during Homecoming. F$U began to purchase the jackets in ONLY garnet/gold color combos and resell them to F$U fans.

Also, let's not forget that the OKLAHOMA Seminole Indian tribe, which is four times larger than the Florida Seminole Indian tribe, has condemned F$U's ongoing use of the Seminole mascot and logos.
If Cliff Clavin and Norm Peterson had a baby and sent it to law school in Miami, you could be his mentor.

Advertisement
agreed. but feel compelled to respond about the privilege part. there is no privilege here. the man worked for and sacrificed for what he has achieved. he's a winner!

I'm only responding because I respect both you and @Rellyrell , and there is no need for disagreement.

I am quite confident that he meant the word "privilege" in the noblest sense. Such as when someone says "It is an honor and a privilege to be here tonight representing the University of Miami at the Heisman Trophy ceremony". He did not mean it in the POLITICAL sense of how "privilege" is used and abused in our current society.

And while there is absolutely a trade-off between what student athletes work for, and what they are provided, we can certainly use the GENTLER definition of "privilege" to reflect the fact that they have great opportunities beyond what their fellow students have. Not only do they get tuition, but they get room and board and books and spending money, though this may not even be enough. They have been allowed to register for classes early. They get free clothing and shoes. They have had a separate cafeteria that certainly exceeds what the rest of the student body had for dining options.

And I do not begrudge the student-athletes a single one of those "privileges". It's all good with me.

Also, let's not forget that some of these "work vs. compensation" disparities are present in other areas of the university as well. For instance, there were many graduate students and non-tenured professors who developed Gatorade at the University of Florida, and they DEFINITELY did not receive a share of the patent or proceeds over the next several decades. Did they get a scholarship (grad students) or a salary (faculty)? Sure. But the University of Florida has been coasting on that revenue stream for upwards of 50 years.

Last edited:
I'm only responding because I respect both you and @Rellyrell , and there is no need for disagreement

I am quite confident that he meant the word "privilege" in the noblest sense. Such as when someone says "It is an honor and a privilege to be here tonight representing the University of Miami at the Heisman Trophy ceremony". He did not mean it in the POLITICAL sense of how "privilege" is used and abused in our current society.

And while there is absolutely a trade-off between what student athletes work for, and what they are provided, we can certainly use the GENTLER definition of "privilege" to reflect the fact that they have great opportunities beyond what their fellow students have. Not only do they get tuition, but they get room and board and books and spending money, though this may not even be enough. They have been allowed to register for classes early. They get free clothing and shoes. They have had a separate cafeteria that certainly exceeds what the rest of the student body had for dining options.

And I do not begrudge the student-athletes a single one of those "privileges". It's all good with me.

Also, let's not forget that some of these "work vs. compensation" disparities are present in other areas of the university as well. For instance, there were many graduate students and non-tenured professors who developed Gatorade at the University of Florida, and they DEFINITELY did not receive a share of the patent or proceeds over the next several decades. Did they get a scholarship (grad students) or a salary (faculty)? Sure. But the University of Florida has been coasting on that revenue stream for upwards of 50 years.
meat me in the blue handicap parking lot if you think there is a disagreement, meng.

Advertisement
**** it get mad at him. He says idiotic things all the time.
@Mklein13 you have tried (and failed) to coax me into an altercation with you on this board for quite some time. That you would choose this thread to do that is just disgusting.

Show some respect.

I find it interesting that the term "student-athlete" has been resurrected like Jesus Christ from the tomb on this thread. Is this some sort of Orthodox Christian Easter celebration in disguise?

How does someone say that these kids need to "get their bags" in one thread, then bounce over here and celebrate the "student-athlete?" I don't ask that question to single out any particular CiS members and definitely not as any slight whatsoever to Redding. I ask because it seems a tad disingenuous and soaked in convenience to throw around concepts like "these kids need to get paid" while also applauding them for being "student-athletes," a term that outlived it's true existence at some point in the 70's or 80's. See SMU's Pony Express.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I find it interesting that the term "student-athlete" has been resurrected like Jesus Christ from the tomb on this thread. Is this some sort of Orthodox Christian Easter celebration in disguise?

How does someone say that these kids need to "get their bags" in one thread, then bounce over here and celebrate the "student-athlete?" I don't ask that question to single out any particular CiS members and definitely not as any slight whatsoever to Redding. I ask because it seems a tad disingenuous and soaked in convenience to throw around concepts like "these kids need to get paid" while also applauding them for being "student-athletes," a term that outlived it's true existence at some point in the 70's or 80's. See SMU's Pony Express.
I’ve been guilty of bashing Redding when it comes to his on field play. Sometimes people forget the student part of these guys college careers.

The two things are not the same, and can co-exist.

It is possible to applaud what someone does in his "part-time job", while also celebrating what a person accomplishes in school. It doesn't have to be "one or the other". Most of these athletes will not attain generational wealth from sports, and will be able to support themselves with their college degrees.

Advertisement
I’ve been guilty of bashing Redding when it comes to his on field play. Sometimes people forget the student part of these guys college careers.
Same. But is it bashing when you're stating the truth?

Did you play D1 sports as a scholarship athlete? I'm not asking to poke my nose in your business or put you down. I'm asking seriously. I did not. However, I have a close family member who did. The difference in his college experience and mine were night and day. There is no such thing as a "student-athlete" in today's D1 (major) sports. I'm not talking about your cousin who was a student athlete at a local d2 or d3 school. Those kids are true student-athletes. I'm talking about the one-and-dones at Kentucky. I'm talking about football players at major programs. Those kids are there to play their sport. The myth that they are there for an education is just that - a myth; at least for the vast majority. My family member was told by his head coach in front of the whole team when a player cited having a test that caused him to be late to practice, "You came here to play FOOTBALL!!! You did not come here for an education! If you wanted an education, you should've gone to Harvard!!!" When I was UM, Chris Walsh (Steve's younger brother) was a hot shot freshman (I think) recruit who happened to be in a geography class with me. First day of class, he slid in about 5-10 minutes late, sat behind me, tapped me on the shoulder a few minutes later and asked if I would be attending this class. I laughed and said yeah. He said "cool, I'll sit behind you on test day," got up and left. I never saw him again at a regular lecture. Ever. I don't know what happened to Chris, but he never starred at The U like his brother did.

I never bashed Redding as a person, yet several people got irate when I mentioned he now has one more career TD than Iron Arrows. Sure it was snarky, but it's also true and was not disrespectful to Redding as a person. I want to believe the myth that our student-athletes are awesome on and off the field. Reality tells me that the student part is usually not a component. Redding is an exception, and for that he deserves to be commended. I'm just not willing to gloss over his poor on-field performance while I smoke an old man tobacco pipe, adjust my monocle, and reminisce about the "student-athletes."

The two things are not the same, and can co-exist.

It is possible to applaud what someone does in his "part-time job", while also celebrating what a person accomplishes in school. It doesn't have to be "one or the other". Most of these athletes will not attain generational wealth from sports, and will be able to support themselves with their college degrees.
100% my point. However, based on several comments, I don't think many people understand that concept.

Same. But is it bashing when you're stating the truth?

Did you play D1 sports as a scholarship athlete? I'm not asking to poke my nose in your business or put you down. I'm asking seriously. I did not. However, I have a close family member who did. The difference in his college experience and mine were night and day. There is no such thing as a "student-athlete" in today's D1 (major) sports. I'm not talking about your cousin who was a student athlete at a local d2 or d3 school. Those kids are true student-athletes. I'm talking about the one-and-dones at Kentucky. I'm talking about football players at major programs. Those kids are there to play their sport. The myth that they are there for an education is just that - a myth; at least for the vast majority. My family member was told by his head coach in front of the whole team when a player cited having a test that caused him to be late to practice, "You came here to play FOOTBALL!!! You did not come here for an education! If you wanted an education, you should've gone to Harvard!!!" When I was UM, Chris Walsh (Steve's younger brother) was a hot shot freshman (I think) recruit who happened to be in a geography class with me. First day of class, he slid in about 5-10 minutes late, sat behind me, tapped me on the shoulder a few minutes later and asked if I would be attending this class. I laughed and said yeah. He said "cool, I'll sit behind you on test day," got up and left. I never saw him again at a regular lecture. Ever. I don't know what happened to Chris, but he never starred at The U like his brother did.

I never bashed Redding as a person, yet several people got irate when I mentioned he now has one more career TD than Iron Arrows. Sure it was snarky, but it's also true and was not disrespectful to Redding as a person. I want to believe the myth that our student-athletes are awesome on and off the field. Reality tells me that the student part is usually not a component. Redding is an exception, and for that he deserves to be commended. I'm just not willing to gloss over his poor on-field performance while I smoke an old man tobacco pipe, adjust my monocle, and reminisce about the "student-athletes."
I was recruited to play at D1 schools for baseball but decided to go to a smaller school near home just because it was a better situation for myself. So I can’t comment on what life is like for a D1 athlete.

People always forget that “student” comes first in student athlete. And no I wouldn’t consider it bashing if you are stating the truth. It is disappointing that Redding came in highly touted out of IMG and hasn’t amounted to much on the field. Really thought he was going to be one of top guys when he came in. It is what it is guys don’t always pan out. Glad he’s accomplished a lot off the field.

Advertisement
Back