Confirming the obvious - (Mack Brown quote re: stars)

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
I bet this is more widespread than you'd think in CFB.

This is a quote from a recent Mack Brown interview with Feldman (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/22314376/mack-brown-talks-texas):

"What I've realized is that I like building a lot more than maintaining. We did get to the point where winning seemed so easy and recruiting seemed so easy. We never were in a position where we didn't work. We never felt like we did anything different, but we missed on more kids, and I'm not sure we were looking at videos and maybe not following up as much with a kid. We were looking at stars."

This seems extremely obvious at Texas where the names are ID'd and attacked and then recruiting filled up by September, and I think there's little doubt that we saw the same in Coker era with very very similar results. It's so important that you take the right kids, find kids who fit what you want, etc. I feel like we have a nice - albeit relatively short - body of work to suggest that staying away from this is one of Golden's strengths.

Advertisement
Nice quote Swag, but we won't really know until we start having continued success both on the field and in recruiting. I think we all feel that both
are coming and to some extent has already happened. ****, can't wait!

One of the other real challenges in Texas is that a lot of the high school studs come from programs with college level resources (strength, conditioning, nutrition, etc.), so it's even harder to project college development. Many are HS beasts, but maxed out. That is even more problematic when you add in UT's past "strategy" of locking down the vast majority of its class very, very early. They don't even get to see much senior year evolution.

I've thought, for a long time, that that is one of the primary reasons you don't see more UT 5 star recruits in the pros. I'm not saying they don't have some but, for a program that regularly gets multiple, I just don't see the development and performance at the next levels.

Advertisement
Back