Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

Rational.

But two questions.

One, where does Kiffin gets bags in Coral Gables, and two, how do we keep local Miami papers from breaking stories about the bags? The local rags in Bama wouldn‘t dare report anything, but the Herald reporters want to win Pulitzers.
I don’t think he would come unless he had the $$ commitment. But it’s not that simple. You need to know how to set up and run the program. You have to know how not to get played. You have to know what the industry standards are, for lack of a better term. You have to have relationships with the street. It’s almost a **** trade secret. Paying a few guys every year is one thing. Setting up a system where you’re paying almost every player, and dealing with other benefits, to the tune of >$1mm a year is a whole different animal. Newbie coaches have no clue where to even start.

Advertisement
Go look at oregons classes before Mario and after he arrived. Then get back with me.
Or maybe Mario decided to go further than someone like Chip and Belotti ever would. I don't think that Mario didn't pay attention to what Alabama was doing, and decided to leverage his resources in the same way at Oregon. Everyone looks like a great recruiter at Alabama, Mario is the only former Alabama assistant(to date, Sark will look like a good recruiter after leaving, but he's also at Texas)the only former Alabama assistant that went to a school with similar resources.

Again, recruiting to Miami is different that recruiting to Oregon, especially in this college football world. Frankly, Oregon should be crushing the west coast, they don't have any competition right now. Washington has taken a huge step back(Lake probably isn't the answer), USC is just waiting until they can fire Helton(He's done if they lose more than 1 game), and UCLA is trending upwards, but who knows how long that lasts.

Rational.

But two questions.

One, where does Kiffin gets bags in Coral Gables, and two, how do we keep local Miami papers from breaking stories about the bags? The local rags in Bama wouldn‘t dare report anything, but the Herald reporters want to win Pulitzers.
Exactly. Our fans want to be Alabama, but forget that if Miami even dared try to pull 10% of what they do, the program would be wiped off the face of the earth. They tried to demolish the program based on guys getting fringe benefits. Imagine if Miami was paying for entire families to move to town, imagine if Miami was spending 7 figures for talent.

Saban and Smart, like Saban, believe in Defense. Kiffin doesn’t, at all. I don’t think that’s the answer.
That’s definitely a concern. I don’t think you’re wrong. I love defensive minded coaches. I’m just a guy who thinks it’s 99% about talent, so any guy who can recruit a top 5 class annually is good in my book.

Advertisement
There a part of me that says we on probation after he’s gone, however I think it’s be one of the best rides in the last 20
The program would be a smoking shell. This is the problem with a lot of people on this board, they are willing to sacrifice having a program just for one fleeting run at glory. Are you willing to potentially be the next SMU? You willing to spend most of the next 2 decades a complete mess. We're frustrated with being a 6-8 win program, someone like Kiffin comes along, we will get the kind of penalties that will lead to 2-3 win seasons. I'd rather take a chance on Fritz or Clark, people that are unlikely to sink the program, but are significant upgrades over Manny.

That’s definitely a concern. I don’t think you’re wrong. I love defensive minded coaches. I’m just a guy who thinks it’s 99% about talent, so any guy who can recruit a top 5 class annually is good in my book.
Can Kiffin recruit like that? I’m not sure. That’s a difficult task even for him. Kiffin is also his own worse enemy. Constantly saying stupid ****. This University wouldn’t touch him, I don’t think.

Yes, but Smart letting Fields transfer may have cost him a chance at NC the past two years. Fromm and Daniels were pedestrian compared to Fields.
That’s a different story and I agree, Smart was stupid for sticking with Fromm. Smart got a championship Defense. His Offense, is the issue.

I don’t think he would come unless he had the $$ commitment. But it’s not that simple. You need to know how to set up and run the program. You have to know how not to get played. You have to know what the industry standards are, for lack of a better term. You have to have relationships with the street. It’s almost a **** trade secret. Paying a few guys every year is one thing. Setting up a system where you’re paying almost every player, and dealing with other benefits, to the tune of >$1mm a year is a whole different animal. Newbie coaches have no clue where to even start.
Bama is also protected by the powers. Miami would never enjoy such security. And, I don‘t think a payment system could be kept quiet in Miami. The media would look for things to investigate. In Alabama they look away or don’t even bother.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Yes, but Smart letting Fields transfer may have cost him a chance at NC the past two years. Fromm and Daniels were pedestrian compared to Fields.
Recruiting at an elite level (top 10) gets you a ticket into the playoffs…. Hitting on a great QB seals it for you

Miami is not close to either

The program would be a smoking shell. This is the problem with a lot of people on this board, they are willing to sacrifice having a program just for one fleeting run at glory. Are you willing to potentially be the next SMU?
The FBI has recordings of coaches openly admitting to major pay-for-play and the NCAA did nothing. What happened at SMU would never happen now. Every program cheats and pays players. The ones who do it better and bigger are holding up trophies at the end of the year. It really isn’t about risk to the school as much as it is risk to the sponsors. Finding those willing sponsors and having a safe and sustainable system separates the wheat from the chaff. NIL should make it much easier.

Last edited:
AH wanted control over the program. A guy with high level experience with player personel , building a team and scouting. He would’ve ran this program like a pro franchise. That scared Blake and I’m sure manny wasn’t happy with answering to him, which I kinda get. But it would’ve been huge for the program.

I can’t argue your concerns, I’ve actually used them against him as well lol. I do think the booster flipping the bill would’ve allowed us to build a great staff. Kinda like Butch had.

The thing we’ve been missing for years is physicality / toughness , winning the trenches and recruiting. I think he checks all those boxes. He also understands the program , the politics of this job and brings the perfect attitude.
@Cribby if things don’t work out and Blake gets let go. You think the admins revisit AH maybe as AD or same role discussed?

Or maybe Mario decided to go further than someone like Chip and Belotti ever would. I don't think that Mario didn't pay attention to what Alabama was doing, and decided to leverage his resources in the same way at Oregon. Everyone looks like a great recruiter at Alabama, Mario is the only former Alabama assistant(to date, Sark will look like a good recruiter after leaving, but he's also at Texas)the only former Alabama assistant that went to a school with similar resources.

Again, recruiting to Miami is different that recruiting to Oregon, especially in this college football world. Frankly, Oregon should be crushing the west coast, they don't have any competition right now. Washington has taken a huge step back(Lake probably isn't the answer), USC is just waiting until they can fire Helton(He's done if they lose more than 1 game), and UCLA is trending upwards, but who knows how long that lasts.
Kirby Smart hasn't looked great in recruiting?

Advertisement
We don’t have to be Alabama or replicate their blueprint . We just have to not hire Temple’s coaches. Bring me a Campbell or any other REAL coach and our trajectory improves almost immediately. We are a middling ACC team because we have a clueless beta nerd at the helm.

Advertisement
I hate quoting Barry but he drops quite the bomb. The bot and admin simply don't care.

2) Find a special coach who can lead this program from Top 15-to-25 caliber to something far greater.

I view that as unlikely.

UM’s Board of Trustees isn’t motivated to spend $10 million a year for an elite coach with championship pedigree. And even if the Hurricanes could land, say, a Jimbo Fisher, there’s no assurance he could make the Canes elite again.

The sense here is that the administration will stick with Manny Diaz - who’s in year three of a five-year deal - if he wins in the range of nine games a year and keeps UM generally in the top 25, regardless of whether the gap is closed with Alabama or not.

As one Board of Trustee member said, though some members have higher standards than simply being a borderline Top 20 program, president Julio Frenk isn’t a big sports fan and there’s little motivation internally to keep changing coaches until they find one to build UM back to top-five-in-the-country status.

Perhaps that view changes once a coach reaches the end of his contract; if Diaz goesn’t get an extension after year 3 or 4, that would be telling.

The Hurricanes simply aren’t going to spend the money on an Urban Meyer-type unless there’s a dramatic change in philosophy.

Its over boys.
student-athletes deserve better, and bad press can change timelines. #flythebanner.

The FBI has recordings of coaches openly admitting to major pay-for-play and the NCAA did nothing. What happened at SMU would never happen now. Every program cheats and pays players. The ones who do it better and bigger are holding up trophies at the end of the year. It really isn’t about risk to the school as much as it is risk to the sponsors. Finding those willing sponsors and having a safe and sustainable system separates the wheat from the chaff.
Why didn’t the FBI turn this information over to the IRS? I’m sure they’d be interested in a system allegedly paying out millions of dollars, tax-free. Might be called money-laundering as well, but I’m not a lawyer.

Kirby Smart hasn't looked great in recruiting?
Again, at a school with immense resources. Not an accident that the guys that look great as recruiters are at places that not only have immense resources, but have the ability to fully leverage said resources without fear of exposure. Keep in mind, the same guy that said that he was paying for abortions on behalf of Miami student athletes ADMITTED that he tried to purchase talent, but was always outbid by the SEC. No one even bothered to ask a follow up question.

Why didn’t the FBI turn this information over to the IRS? I’m sure they’d be interested in a system allegedly paying out millions of dollars, tax-free. Might be called money-laundering as well, but I’m not a lawyer.
They were more interested in prosecuting a bunch of parents for buying their kids’ way into school.

Advertisement
Back