Confirmed by Barry, the bot and admin do not care.

Advertisement
I’m talking about this year. Right now. I still believe this is a good football team. It’s just nowhere near as good as Bama. But I think it’s better than anyone else we’ll play. If Manny is worth a ****, he’ll win 10 of the next 11, or more. If he doesn’t, he ain’t the guy. Cause this is the best team we’ve had in 10 years. We just got steamrolled by a juggernaut. But if the staff can’t get this roster to win most of our games in rather impressive fashion, they’re trash. Cause a great staff would win this division going away. I said it all off-season and nothing I saw Saturday changed my mind. There are no more Alabama’s on the schedule. Or anyone even on the same planet as them.
You and I will agree here. I feel that if there is any time to “expect” 10 wins. It’s this year.

But I stand by my statement, as a whole college football, is dead. Literally only 4-5 teams that can win it year in and year out. And no coach is going to make that difference.

You and I will agree here. I feel that if there is any time to “expect” 10 wins. It’s this year.

But I stand by my statement, as a whole college football, is dead. Literally only 4-5 teams that can win it year in and year out. And no coach is going to make that difference.

Oh, my bad, I didn’t realize this was your point in your OP. Yes, you’re correct.

Advertisement
Could get behind Mario. Any chance now, or his buyout at Oregon too high (generally speaking, not by Miami cheap standards)?
U mean the guy that needed everything in his players power to get by an u ranked fresno

the guy that lost to two winless teams last uear

the same guy who even with the best roster in the PAC 12 can’t even sniff the playoffs?

that Mario? It’s not a slight on Mario but Oregon is willing to spend the money and they arent even close….kind of like Tam U

Last edited:
If UM administration offered Jimbo Fisher 5 years $50m/yr fully guaranteed contract:

1. Jimbo would leave A&M yesterday for that deal
2. He would clean up recruiting in SoFlo.

100%.

Oh and Jimbo's deal with A&M doesn't include a buyout.

Advertisement
The stupid part on the admin's apathy is that there is a direct correlation between relevance in football and applications for admission. More applications means more competitive. More competitive means higher academic standing and more research money flowing the the school. Obviously it also typically leads to greater alumni involvement in both $ and participation in school building events.

Its just the moronic leading the blind in Coral Gables right now.
Bama’s president has repeatedly said Saban is the best investment the school has ever made. People love to **** on their academics, but a kid who got into every Ivy a couple of years back chose Bama. Also love Barry bringing up what Julio prioritizes when he may be out in the near future.

Bummer.

If there was a change to be made, and you were AD, who would be on your short list?
I know too much about this program and how the job is viewed. I’d ask to be removed from the decision making lol. That’s why I pull so hard for manny , he’s one of the view guys who gets it and understands the job. He just might now be a good enough head coach. Which is a problem.

Luckily I’ve just accepted what the new Miami is the last fifteen years. Until I see different that’s how I‘ll view this.

I hate quoting Barry but he drops quite the bomb. The bot and admin simply don't care.

2) Find a special coach who can lead this program from Top 15-to-25 caliber to something far greater.

I view that as unlikely.

UM’s Board of Trustees isn’t motivated to spend $10 million a year for an elite coach with championship pedigree. And even if the Hurricanes could land, say, a Jimbo Fisher, there’s no assurance he could make the Canes elite again.

The sense here is that the administration will stick with Manny Diaz - who’s in year three of a five-year deal - if he wins in the range of nine games a year and keeps UM generally in the top 25, regardless of whether the gap is closed with Alabama or not.

As one Board of Trustee member said, though some members have higher standards than simply being a borderline Top 20 program, president Julio Frenk isn’t a big sports fan and there’s little motivation internally to keep changing coaches until they find one to build UM back to top-five-in-the-country status.

Perhaps that view changes once a coach reaches the end of his contract; if Diaz goesn’t get an extension after year 3 or 4, that would be telling.

The Hurricanes simply aren’t going to spend the money on an Urban Meyer-type unless there’s a dramatic change in philosophy.

Its over boys.

This may also come as a surprise, but Miami wasn't spending top dollar on coaches when we won 5 national championships. Texas and Ohio State both emptied their bank accounts on coaches and only have 3 titles* between the two of them since 1970. Michigan has paid Harbaugh more money than most coaches. They aren't close to winning a title. Money doesn't win titles. Good coaching does. Miami's main issue isn't that it doesn't spend enough on coaches, it's issue is that when we have an opening for a HC, we have an AD that doesnt interview a single candidate and then pays a G5 several million dollars to hire back our defensive coordinator to be HC. There is no reason we need to spend 10 million a year on a HC to win the ACC coastal. Let's start there. If the HC can't get over that hump and win the ACC in a few tries, then everyone is free to whine about not paying Bama money to win championships. In any case, UM hired a a coach that has never been a HC before. That means he's going to be learning on the job. I was ready to throw him overboard after the Bama game, but it goes back to what I just said, let's see how the season turns out. If Miami ends up winning 10 and the coastal, Diaz will have made the progress in year 3 I would hope to see from any coach in his first HC gig .

*one of those titles was #6 for UM.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Has Miami ever landed a BIG name coach? I could be wrong but I could've sworn Schelly (to an extent), Jimmy, Butch, Wandstedt, Tuberville, etc. all made their names here before moving on to larger pastures.

This false pretense that we have to have a big name guy is crazy. We just need good/great coaches to recruit and develop. The rest will take care of itself.

GO CANES!!!

Advertisement
This may also come as a surprise, but Miami wasn't spending top dollar on coaches when we won 5 national championships. Texas and Ohio State both emptied their bank accounts on coaches and only have 3 titles* between the two of them since 1970. Michigan has paid Harbaugh more money than most coaches. They aren't close to winning a title. Money doesn't win titles. Good coaching does. Miami's main issue isn't that it doesn't spend enough on coaches, it's issue is that when we have an opening for a HC, we have an AD that doesnt interview a single candidate and then pays a G5 several million dollars to hire back our defensive coordinator to be HC. There is no reason we need to spend 10 million a year on a HC to win the ACC coastal. Let's start there. If the HC can't get over that hump and win the ACC in a few tries, then everyone is free to whine about not paying Bama money to win championships.

*one of those titles was #6 for UM.
I totally agree.

I don't know how to post pictures from my phone, but I got into a discussion with Barry Jackson on Twitter this morning just before he posted that article. I was challenging him to do the right thing and put pressure where it belongs, on the incompetent apathetic administration that has destroyed this once proud program. He responded to me telling me to read the article he was about to post.

So I read it, and it basically confirmed the same things I've heard behind the scenes and have been yelling about on these boards for 10 plus years.

Stop pointing your hate at Manny. He's just an underqualified guy that did what any human would do, he took a promotion that was GIVEN to him. He sucks at his job but it's not his job to turn down a potential life altering offer like that if it comes his way.

Point ALL of your anger and disgust at Blake and the BOT. Period. Stop buying season tickets and stop donating.

Last edited:
Translation: Nobody wants to pony up the money for what it would cost to be a top 10 or top 5 team.

That's okay, it's their money to do with as they please.

The gap between the haves and have nots just keeps on growing. Back before probation, you're talking a few million here and there, but now we're talking 10's of millions of dollars. It is what it is.

Advertisement
Back