MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread(Its still personal)

That's great, but Atlanta is #7 and IMO GA Tech fits the Big 10 agenda better than UM. Everyone likes to say UM is a hot commodity, but don't forget the hatred towards UM, so if the SEC and Big 10 can stick it to UM they very well may do that. If the Big 10 takes GA Tech and FSU, they secure both the Atlanta and FL markets and get additional money for adding 2 new states. And yes, I get GA Tech isn't a great athletic school, but the Big 10 doesn't need another power football program...they just need the TV market and the academics.

Again, I hope UM goes to the Big 10, but all this talk about being a slam dunk for either the Big 10 or SEC is short sighted IMO. I actually think we'll go to the Big 12, just my opinion
Market SIZE does not matter. VIEWERSHIP MATTERS. Ga Tech does not command viewers. That is why the B10 NO LONGER USES MARKET SIZE BUT VIEWERSHIP. They got burned using "market size" when they admitted Rutgers (huge DMA but NO VIEWERS) and Maryland.

Advertisement
That's great, but Atlanta is #7 and IMO GA Tech fits the Big 10 agenda better than UM. Everyone likes to say UM is a hot commodity, but don't forget the hatred towards UM, so if the SEC and Big 10 can stick it to UM they very well may do that. If the Big 10 takes GA Tech and FSU, they secure both the Atlanta and FL markets and get additional money for adding 2 new states. And yes, I get GA Tech isn't a great athletic school, but the Big 10 doesn't need another power football program...they just need the TV market and the academics.

Again, I hope UM goes to the Big 10, but all this talk about being a slam dunk for either the Big 10 or SEC is short sighted IMO. I actually think we'll go to the Big 12, just my opinion
The size of the DMA is secondary to the number of viewers that the teams demand. Miami (even now) draws much more than GA Tech to watch their games. I believe both GA Tech and UM are natural fits to the BIG.

Existing GOR states that any new program admitted to the ACC Conference must sign the existing GOR.
I was wondering what that would look like. I didn’t the GOR have been made public for it to be viewed yet. Where’d you see it at?

Advertisement

Everybody hating UM would be just the right reason to add us. A great nemesis adds great value.

I was wondering what that would look like. I didn’t the GOR have been made public for it to be viewed yet. Where’d you see it at?
It was posted at some point in this thread. The original GOR as well as the amendment ... the extension.

New Members:
"The conference shall not admit a new member unless and until such new member agrees to become bound by this Agreement".

any new schools would also need 75% of the conference to approve them wouldn't they? (ie, the ACC isn't expanding)

Advertisement
Everybody hating UM would be just the right reason to add us. A great nemesis adds great value.
Yes, fans hate us and we've used that as motivation for a long time. But don't think for a minute that if the Big 10 and SEC can stick it to us they won't. Making UM irrelevant as possible actually benefits them more in the long run.

Market SIZE does not matter. VIEWERSHIP MATTERS. Ga Tech does not command viewers. That is why the B10 NO LONGER USES MARKET SIZE BUT VIEWERSHIP. They got burned using "market size" when they admitted Rutgers (huge DMA but NO VIEWERS) and Maryland.
I was refuting the other poster who said MARKET size matters. I agree Rutgers and Maryland are not hot beds for college football fans, but if you think Atlanta falls into that same category, I don't know what to say. Atlanta is #7 and GA is a hot bed for college football fans...it goes beyond whether GA Tech is a good football program.

We can agree to disagree at this point. I hope we go to the Big 10, but realistically I think we go to the Big 12. Hope I'm wrong

I was refuting the other poster who said MARKET size matters. I agree Rutgers and Maryland are not hot beds for college football fans, but if you think Atlanta falls into that same category, I don't know what to say. Atlanta is #7 and GA is a hot bed for college football fans...it goes beyond whether GA Tech is a good football program.

We can agree to disagree at this point. I hope we go to the Big 10, but realistically I think we go to the Big 12. Hope I'm wrong
Atlanta is a college football market and they follow Georgia not Ga Tech. Miami is definitely NOT leaving the ACC, paying $120M exit fee and a negotiated GOR settlement, to go to the B12 which barely makes more money than the ACC. Makes 0 sense. Only way Miami ends up in the B12 is if the ACC disbands with 0 exit cost and no GOR cost and the B10 / SEC are purely NOT taking new programs. Miami will not be in the B12.

Advertisement
I would like to see Radakovich negotiate an exit from the ACC based on:

1). $120M conference exit fee. Cost of leaving.
2). Negotiate return of GOR (negotiate with ACC / ESPN) for an annual payment from Miami to the ACC of $30M
for 10 years.
3). Miami joins the B10 with full media rights and full share of B10 media distribution. After netting out the $30M annual payment
Miami will initially be making a little more than currently in the ACC, but the margin increases annually.

That way the "out of pocket" exit is limited to $120M and Miami is in the B2 with all of the associated advantages.
The math makes sense but I have zero expectation that Miami would be willing to just pay $420M over 10 years. That's the worst case scenario.

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and I suspect Rad is just biding his time.

The math makes sense but I have zero expectation that Miami would be willing to just pay $420M over 10 years. That's the worst case scenario.

We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and I suspect Rad is just biding his time.
Even in this worst case scenario Miami would make MORE money than by simply remaining in the ACC under the current Agreement ... that is how bad this agreement is.

Advertisement
Again, that is TV market, not college football TV market. People in SFLA have a multitude of things to do besides stay at home and watch college football. Heck, the Big 10 could add GA Tech who fits their academic requirements and opens up the Atlanta market, which is #7, as well. I truly hope we go to the Big 10, but to think we're a slam dunk is misguided IMO
Its not about TV market size. That was the old model.

The new model is how many viewers are you going to get for a game. Even our **** teams average just under 4M viewers for nationally broadcast games ... very close to FSU and Clemson. The 4M threshold is the magic number as that allows broadcasters to make big $.

This is why we are accretive to the B10 and why we (and FSU/Clemson/ND) would all get a full share right away and Oregon/Washington/etc are/would only be getting a partial share.

Miami moving in silence is a good thing IMO. Could be wrong. We will see.

/Spoiler: Monday morning hoRt taRkes
This is where I'm at.

I don't remember Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA huffing and puffing their chest publicly before announcing these moves. Even with Oregon and Washington, there was a lot of smoke about them to Big 12 and then boom, B1G happens.

I'm off the belief most of these twitter sauces don't know sh*t. They have a decent understanding of media dynamics and how these things go. And their sources are probably junior level staffers within athletic departments who all of the sudden are viewed as "important sources" and want to flaunt that newfound importance around.

Even in this worst case scenario Miami would make MORE money than by simply remaining in the ACC under the current Agreement ... that is how bad this agreement is.
Agreed but Miami isn't just forking over $420M over 10 years. There would be lawsuits and a negotiated amount significantly less than that.

Exactly. The coveting of the NYC market via Rutgers was always so absurd. Only thing more funny is when people have associated it with Syracuse too.

Advertisement
Back