Concerns, but way too early to hit the panic button

filmcane

Redshirt Freshman
Premium
My major concerns:
*** NOTE: it's one game, so there's not nearly enough body of work to make a semi accurate evaluation. Nonetheless....
  • DL - we've enjoyed superior coaching on the DL the last 3 seasons. We did not get the kind of penetration that we should have gotten on an OL like that one. I thought the D looked well-coached and played good overall, but the disappointing performance from the DL is definitely a concern. I wonder if Kevin Patrick is still available...
  • OL - Obviously, this is the biggest thing standing between us and the upper echelon of CFB. If we have below average OL play last night, we win by 2 scores.
  • ST - We did not shine on ST's in anyway and arguably the biggest play of the game was a fumbled punt.
    • Baxa missed the FG, that would've put us in a position to win the game last night.
    • kick coverage was adequate, but should be better.
    • Blocking on punts is going to be what happens if we don't clamp that down - we will have multiple blocking on OUR punts, if we don't fix the blocking schemes.
Until proven otherwise, and we won't have to wait multiple seasons to find this out:
  • The OL, the play calling and the concerns listed above are all areas that need to be under the same scrutiny and cut throat ruthless accountability that Manny displayed when he 1st got the job. ALL areas of concern need to improve by the end of the year and crescendo in our bowl game, or those coaches, even Enos, need to be shown the door.
  • Jarren has proven a willingness and ability to learn and improve his game, multiple times during his young career. I believe he will develop that internal clock trough coaching and self-evaluation.
  • Will to win and development of the "it" factor. Look at Clemson for instance. They literally had the anti-"it" factor for a number of years. They would "Clemson" in games they should have won. They got the reputation of being posers, only winning when they were total mismatches for weaker opponents and never when it mattered like a conference championship or big bowl game. Now, there isn't a team in the country with more "it" and who is more clutch than them. This can be developed and I believe it will.
  • I do think Manny will do a great job as our HC. We're so impatient, because the school's administrators screwed up on HC hire after the other. At a place like Miami, there is no reason to not regularly win 11 games and a 10 win season is cause to call for the HC's head. Guys, let's give Manny a chance to turn this around. I truly believe he will do it as long as he demands accountability and consequences for EVERYONE involved in the program.

Advertisement
I do believe that Enos will make the necessary adjustments on the offense - not just to the QB play. It's easy for us to sit back and critique the OL that played last night. We haven't seen what goes on in practice. It shouldn't be a surprise that Zion was man-handled last night ; the kid has NEVER played a college game and look at the pressure he faced in his first one. Campbell was also a weak link; I honestly cannot remember if he got any snaps last year or not. I think the staff has assembled the line the way they have for growth into the future. They knew it was going to be challenged - not sure if they underestimated that challenge or our guys just got worn down. I will say I expected to see the TE or FB or anyone help them out with blocking more than I did. Maybe that was missed assignments; maybe not.

I think we have to wait to see what happens at UNC before any kind of definite opinion can be formed here.

Advertisement
Back