Competition

Canesfan101

Redshirt Freshman
When Ahmmon went down, there was a video of Michael Jackson crediting him for when he gets drafted because of the “Competition” day in and day out on Greentree. AR made MJ better every day. I know it was more than just AR that got him to where he is, but Competition to me is huge factor in getting better. Most of us including me wrote MJ off and expected him to ride the bench or transfer 2 years ago. Look at him now! So now to the point....

Excuse my ignorance if I’m wrong, and put playcalling aside, but it seems to me we are on the verge of or at the elite level of play at most every position on offense and defense besides Oline.

Our DL is obviously one of the best in the country. My question is, how does the OL compete against them every day on greentree and it not translate to Saturday’s? How do they look so bad against teams like Virginia when they compete against a top 3 DL every day in practice? Could the play calling and coaching be that bad? Does the DL eat them alive in practice and we just don’t see it because it isn’t shown during media access?

If I’m wrong, tell me. It just seems to me they have no excuse but to be better than what they have shown this year.

Advertisement
Too much rotating and not wanting to play young guys, simply because they are young. Mahoney and Jones should NEVER play another snap here but Richt and Searles continue to put them on the field. Took them forever to realize Donaldson isnt a T, yet they continue to play him them at times. Lingard not getting carries with his speed is a travesty. Not giving Jarren more reps is silly

Too much rotating and not wanting to play young guys, simply because they are young. Mahoney and Jones should NEVER play another snap here but Richt and Searles continue to put them on the field. Took them forever to realize Donaldson isnt a T, yet they continue to play him them at times. Lingard not getting carries with his speed is a travesty. Not giving Jarren more reps is silly

SPOT ON !!!! Funny because they rotate in players that are CLEARLY INFERIOR to the man in front of them all **** game when it’s not necessary (DL, LB, DB, OL, WR) but refuse to get Lingard on the field at all. And save that “blocking” excuse. DeeJay has been terrible blocking all year on offense & special teams & looks lazy AF out there (see fsu punt return TD), he gives up on plays.

Advertisement
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think that the 1's practice against the 1's. I think that the #1 defense practices against the #2 offense and visa versa. Therefore iron is not sharpening iron.

Does the DL eat them alive in practice and we just don’t see it because it isn’t shown during media access?

I think the logical answer to this question is yes. You would have to be kind of lying to yourself if you don't think so. This is simply based on the logic that if they are struggling to consistently block well against Virginia or even lesser teams then one could likely assume they are struggling to do so against our D-Line. Don't forget a talented true freshman (Rousseau) was wrecking the o-line in the spring.

@Stefan Adams even slightly hinted at the doubts he had about the o-line when he wrote a preview about the team before the season started. From what I remember, he basically said he was taking a wait and see approach with the o-line because he didn't really believe the coach speak that the o-line actually improved in regards to their run blocking. As we see now, he was spot on with his assessment.

true story

I’ve been harping on Jahair Jones and Mahoney since my eyes saw LSU.... but I’m with you on the current rb situation cause I know our oline ain’t special but after watching homer get hawked for a touchdown and him having a lack of vision just gets old... I get it he’s tough and looks for contact but there are times where if he makes a move it’s an extra 5-10 yards

Advertisement
The preseason Oline assessment by Stefan and other outlets had me shook before the LSU game, but I didn't want to come on here and mope.

The 4 game skid last year and the 4 game debacle in 16 had me calling him corch rekt on the reddit boards and getting **** on for it.

I am trying to stay measured, but the evidence is piling up. past is prologue in this kind of coaching situation.

My BF at work is a dawg and loves Rekt the man and is now a corollary Miami fan.......but we are both inured to them pesky facts about where the program is headed.

He's happy with Kirby.

Advertisement
Back