Competition on Defense

datcaneguy

Senior
Striker play has gotten much better
Corner play has gotten much better
Defensive line minus one player have gotten better
Safety play is Bolden then everyone else
Linebacker play is worse among the starters

There was competition between Frierson and Smith now look at the play of those two.

There was competition between Ivey and Couch now look at the play of those two.

There’s competition with the young guys at defensive line and when they get in you can see their fire to get after the ball.

There is no competition at Safety. There’s Bolden and everyone else, yet he continues to be subbed out over the other guys. (A.Williams, J.Williams, and K.Kitchens will shake some things up next year)

There’s no competition at Linebacker because the same starters are being trotted out every week. Brooks and Flagg have showed consistently they belong on the field more yet still come off the bench. It’s psychological when your name is not listed as a starter. You either going to work harder or your going to go in a shell. It’s time to pull these two as starters both on paper and on the field.
Manny as the head coach should see what competition has done with his corners and strikers. But isn’t it ironic that the most favoritism showed towards upperclassmen of the position group is the group he is coaching. In Likens case he’s dealing with four true freshman. Manny only has two.

Advertisement
Mcloud is becoming a real liability on defense. He often hits the wrong gap, gets caught peaking inside and loses his man in coverage (see TD yesterday), etc. his strong suit is blitzing and that’s about it. Brooks and Flagg need to play a lot more. What’s up with huff? Is he getting any burn?

Mcloud is becoming a real liability on defense. He often hits the wrong gap, gets caught peaking inside and loses his man in coverage (see TD yesterday), etc. his strong suit is blitzing and that’s about it. Brooks and Flagg need to play a lot more. What’s up with huff? Is he getting any burn?

Did anyone else see the play (there was 5 or 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter) where the ball was snapped and McCloud didn't move for 2 or 3 seconds? What is going on with that guy upstairs?

Advertisement
This staff does not know who their better better players are. Blissett and Miller are the best combo at tackle. Same for Brooks and Flagg. Time to move on from Carter. Hall SMH, but in his case I believe this silly defensive scheme got him all messed up.

BOlden didn’t even start! Amari did...who was ejected last game. Lol. Bolden should get all reps unless he needs a breather
That non int, which would’ve been an int had we not jumped off sides to extend the drive, was a masterful piece of work. My man came all the way across the other side, snatched the ball & got one foot in. Refs called it out of bounds, but had it been reviewed, there was a sliver of grass in between the white paint from what I saw. It was a **** of an effort we hadn’t seen since D Bush & R Jenkins.

Bolden should be starting at all times & not come off the field unless he’s absolutely gassed. My man may have saved the game w/ that open field tackle, too. Pitt scores a TD there and the whole complexion of the game changes from a momentum & strategic standpoint.

Btw @DMoney Bolden is not from So Fla, just in case you were wondering. He’s from the

100% accurate eval on McCloud.

Advertisement
I think people need to stop mixing Jennings and McCloud together. Jennings is pretty good against the run. He looks worse playing alongside McCloud. He is not a good pass defender but I don't see him constantly lost out there.

I think people need to stop mixing Jennings and McCloud together. Jennings is pretty good against the run. He looks worse playing alongside McCloud. He is not a good pass defender but I don't see him constantly lost out there.
Actually, you might be right about that. Still want Flagg in the middle and possibly Jennings on the outside.

Does Carter start with the hope that his next inevitable targeting play will take someone out with a concussion? Only way it makes sense.

Advertisement
McCloud is a edge rusher we're forcing to play in space.

Safety next year is gonna be interesting. Bolden most likely is gone after the year. So Balom and Hall most likely starting then u have avantae William's, kamren kitchens, james William's, Jalen Harrell or keyshawn washington imo one of them most likely goes to striker but still that's a room with little playing time

Advertisement
Safety next year is gonna be interesting. Bolden most likely is gone after the year. So Balom and Hall most likely starting then u have avantae William's, kamren kitchens, james William's, Jalen Harrell or keyshawn washington imo one of them most likely goes to striker but still that's a room with little playing time
Safety will be the strongest group on the D and like Babe Ruth pointing at the outfield, I'll call it now - Avantae will be one of the starters. If not by the 1st game, certainly by the end of the season. The only thing that might tilt that is if Bubba comes back. But, Bubba is playing at an elite level AND he has the physical measuables, so yeah, he's probably gone-sky.

Advertisement
Back