Competition Breeds Winners

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
You know, I've been following Miami since 1987 and college football, in general, since 1998. One commonality between every top program is internal competition.

When the Clemson's, FSU's, Bama's, Auburn's, Michigan's, and OSU's of the world take the field, the game slows down for them b/c of the competition they've faced, in house. That's what Miami USED to be; the most competitive team, internally, which translated on the field.

That's what's missing...that internal competition. When our DL is sacking the QB in practice, that means ish in real game competition b/c look how soft this OL is. When we hear about this DB looked good or that S looked good in camp...who cares, b/c we have a QB who has PTSD and has looked shaky on all his throws.

Last Year, when we heard how "crisp and aggressive" the offense looked in camp, was anyone surprised about that, since when ran a French Vanilla defense? What happened when that same O faced good teams? We resorted to half back options in a blizzard.

So these practices, camps, for the last several years have given false hope, stats, and interest in this team. What furthers this unicorn dream is the fact we start our season against powder puffs, teams that are notches worst than we are. We start 3-0, maybe 4-0...the hype train comes along, and then when we finally play average competition, we get the doors blown off. Why? B/c we weren't a very competitive team from the get go. Our internal battles are often one sided; either the Def is good and the O is weak or vise versa.

Until that competition is lived and breathed through the fields of Greentree, as oppose to just having spot "Greentree Warriors", we will never be back. Most of this is on coaching and development, but it's also the types of players you bring in. That's what JJ and Butch meant about someone being a "Miami guy." They left it all on the field at practice, first; WANTING to get better, hating to lose, even individual drills, and then it showed on game day.

Will we ever get back to that point? I hope to God we do b/c I'm tired of getting my heart and spirits broke year in and out...but it taught me a very hard lesson; until both units are on the same page, none of these reports mean ish. Until then, we will forever be a 7-8 win team at the most.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Butch could bring us back.

I think Butch would've put us in better competitive spirit. The only way he would truly work is making a home run O coordinator hire. But the player development and recruiting I have no doubt about.

Advertisement
Back