Committing to the Run Game.

TruCane81

Senior
Miami was credited with 36 rushes in the loss to UFag.

Jarren Williams was credited with 15 but in cfb, sacks are considered rushes. He was sacked 10 times.

The running backs combined for 17 rushes with our best player, DJ, only getting 11. There were only 20 non quarterback rushes for the game.

These type numbers will lead to trouble with a freshman quarterback.

For comparison, these are some non qb rush attempt numbers for other freshman qbs around the nation.

Justin Fields OSU 35
Spencer Sanders OkSU 38
Jayden Daniels AzSU 30
Sam Howell UNC 38
Matt Corral Ole Miss 24
Hank Backmeier Boise 47
Max Dugan TCU 27

Several posters besides myself have noticed that with better execution combined with some strategic adjustments, the running game can perform at high levels even against quality defenses.

The oline was strong getting to the second level of the defense. They were pretty athletic in their movements and opened some big holes that were not always taken advantage of because of a blown assignment and slow play development. Clean up these issues and we will churn out big yards on the ground.

1. Penalties. The ridiculous number off offensive penalties put us in long no yardage situations that made running the ball ineffective. We lost confidence while the defense gained confidence due to the down and distance. They really teed off on us when we got behind the chains.

2. Brevin can’t block ends. He struggled BAD in run blocking, with the hold on Cam’s run being the icing on the cake. UFs ends were beasts. They attacked hard upfield but still were able to shed Brevin and recover to make a run down the back or force him into another defender. We have to scheme to get tackles blocking ends in the run game. If we absolutely have to live with Brevin blocking a de, we need to do number 3 on the list.

3. Run faster developing rushes downhill at the defense. On the DJ touchdown, the defensive end Brevin was blocking rushed hard upfield as usual and Brevin pushed him out of the play. Usually the de would recover and kill the play because the delayed handoffs and draws just took too long to develop. DJ hit the hole hard and fast. The line got good push and to the second level. Would have been a nice run. DJ broke tackles and housed it. Just beautiful to watch.

We crushed ND in part because their slow developing pulling linemen based run game played right into the hands of our defensive speed. Wisconsin ran straight at us more and we all know how that turned out.

Running hard at the des without delay would have netted tons of yards. If they adjusted and played more honest, Jarren would have had much more time to get comfortable and read the field. Our backs are explosive. The line is still developing and can’t maintain blocks like a vet line. They were best firing off the ball aggressively. With DJ and Cam, they don’t need to hold a block 5 seconds. We will get yards and some big plays just attacking the defense straight up without all the trickery and finesse.

4. Snap count. UF was jumping the count BIG TIME and the predictability gave them a big physical advantage. With the offensive line getting so many penalties, I understand the reluctance to use a hard count. A compromise is to use more quick count. Anything to throw off the defenses rhythm and even up the advantage.

5. Running on 2nd & medium to create mananageable 3rd downs and settle the offense(especially Jarren) down. We got pass happy and took some drive killing sacks running play action on 2nd and medium. It’s Jarren’s first start. No need to get impatient. We have very good backs. Use them to take some pressure off your freshman qb. The penalties left us no room for error as far as opportunity is concerned,but not committing to the run in these situations put too much of the burden on Jarren. Would have been way better to run for no gain at worst and be in 3rd an 5 or 6 instead of the 3rd &15-20 we found ourselves in on several occasions.

20 carries for the backs and receivers with a freshman qb is NOT a recipe for success. I hope Enos noticed these issues and is adjusting, because with a sense of urgency and more aggression, we could see some 250-300 yard rushing performances this year.

Advertisement
It seemed like the run game was stifled all night with the exception of DJ’s long carries. He earned those the hard way though (broken tackles), not with wide open running lanes provided by the o line. Stats would have looked nicer if Cams run counted as you said.

It seemed like the run game was stifled all night with the exception of DJ’s long carries. He earned those the hard way though (broken tackles), not with wide open running lanes provided by the o line. Stats would have looked nicer if Cams run counted as you said.

A lot of the problem was long yardage situations and Brevin trying to block ends.

There were holes but the slow nature of the plays (delays, draws, and pulling linemen) allowed the defense to recover and stuff the run. There were a few solid gains that we followed with sacks on 2nd down resulting in more long yardage situations.

We RARELY ran on first down. The plays we were running don’t work on fast defenses. Make some adjustments and get the linemen better at choosing assignments.

Just running physically straight at the defense off one of the guard’s butt without finesse or delay would have really changed the outcome in production, even though there were some execution errors for sure. Even good running teams get hit for no gains and losses. They stay committed and it works out, especially as the defense tires in the second half.

We need an offensive identity that fits the personnel. I feel every regime, lately, have what they want as an identity on either offense or defense, yet don’t have the personnel and still try to force it.

Advertisement
Miami was credited with 36 rushes in the loss to UFag.

Jarren Williams was credited with 15 but in cfb, sacks are considered rushes. He was sacked 10 times.

The running backs combined for 17 rushes with our best player, DJ, only getting 11. There were only 20 non quarterback rushes for the game.

These type numbers will lead to trouble with a freshman quarterback.

For comparison, these are some non qb rush attempt numbers for other freshman qbs around the nation.

Justin Fields OSU 35
Spencer Sanders OkSU 38
Jayden Daniels AzSU 30
Sam Howell UNC 38
Matt Corral Ole Miss 24
Hank Backmeier Boise 47
Max Dugan TCU 27

Several posters besides myself have noticed that with better execution combined with some strategic adjustments, the running game can perform at high levels even against quality defenses.

The oline was strong getting to the second level of the defense. They were pretty athletic in their movements and opened some big holes that were not always taken advantage of because of a blown assignment and slow play development. Clean up these issues and we will churn out big yards on the ground.

1. Penalties. The ridiculous number off offensive penalties put us in long no yardage situations that made running the ball ineffective. We lost confidence while the defense gained confidence due to the down and distance. They really teed off on us when we got behind the chains.

2. Brevin can’t block ends. He struggled BAD in run blocking, with the hold on Cam’s run being the icing on the cake. UFs ends were beasts. They attacked hard upfield but still were able to shed Brevin and recover to make a run down the back or force him into another defender. We have to scheme to get tackles blocking ends in the run game. If we absolutely have to live with Brevin blocking a de, we need to do number 3 on the list.

3. Run faster developing rushes downhill at the defense. On the DJ touchdown, the defensive end Brevin was blocking rushed hard upfield as usual and Brevin pushed him out of the play. Usually the de would recover and kill the play because the delayed handoffs and draws just took too long to develop. DJ hit the hole hard and fast. The line got good push and to the second level. Would have been a nice run. DJ broke tackles and housed it. Just beautiful to watch.

We crushed ND in part because their slow developing pulling linemen based run game played right into the hands of our defensive speed. Wisconsin ran straight at us more and we all know how that turned out.

Running hard at the des without delay would have netted tons of yards. If they adjusted and played more honest, Jarren would have had much more time to get comfortable and read the field. Our backs are explosive. The line is still developing and can’t maintain blocks like a vet line. They were best firing off the ball aggressively. With DJ and Cam, they don’t need to hold a block 5 seconds. We will get yards and some big plays just attacking the defense straight up without all the trickery and finesse.

4. Snap count. UF was jumping the count BIG TIME and the predictability gave them a big physical advantage. With the offensive line getting so many penalties, I understand the reluctance to use a hard count. A compromise is to use more quick count. Anything to throw off the defenses rhythm and even up the advantage.

5. Running on 2nd & medium to create mananageable 3rd downs and settle the offense(especially Jarren) down. We got pass happy and took some drive killing sacks running play action on 2nd and medium. It’s Jarren’s first start. No need to get impatient. We have very good backs. Use them to take some pressure off your freshman qb. The penalties left us no room for error as far as opportunity is concerned,but not committing to the run in these situations put too much of the burden on Jarren. Would have been way better to run for no gain at worst and be in 3rd an 5 or 6 instead of the 3rd &15-20 we found ourselves in on several occasions.

20 carries for the backs and receivers with a freshman qb is NOT a recipe for success. I hope Enos noticed these issues and is adjusting, because with a sense of urgency and more aggression, we could see some 250-300 yard rushing performances this year.

I'll be honest, I haven't read what you posted.

I actually will go back and read it, but that won't change what I have to say, so...I fcking hate when people act like the running game is a thing that just works if you try it enough. That D was in our face all game daring us to pass. When the other team is talented up front and commits to pushing you, there isn't much to do other than go over their heads. And we saw that Jarren didn't have the time for that/was too inexperienced to make good reads with that pressure.

Maybe we could have run better, but I don't see how the issue was the number of runs. The issue was their front 4 being better than our OL. Had we made more completions early and forced them to ease up, maybe things would have been different. Simply running into that more often wasn't the answer.

If we don't fix our passing offense we're going to lose a lot of games this year & that's just the cold hard truth.

I agree we need to run the ball more, but eventually teams will figure out what we're doing & simply start loading the box with 7/8/9 man fronts.

We're a D1 Power 5 team, it's INEXCUSABLE that we can't pass for more than 220yds a game, even teams with far less talent can figure out how to throw for 250-270yds a game.

You can literally manufacture yards just off pace & space alone, we need to join the 21st century & play with some fckin tempo for once. Playing a majority of the snaps under center with 5-7 step drops while having 2 inexperienced tackles is basically begging the Defense to blow up your plays in the backfield.

If we don't fix our passing offense we're going to lose a lot of games this year & that's just the cold hard truth.

I agree we need to run the ball more, but eventually teams will figure out what we're doing & simply start loading the box with 7/8/9 man fronts.

We're a D1 Power 5 team, it's INEXCUSABLE that we can pass for more than 220yds a game, even teams with far less talent can figure out how to throw for 250-270yds a game.

You can literally manufacture yards just off pace & space alone, we need to join the 21st century & play with some fckin tempo for once. Playing a majority of the snaps under center with 5-7 step drops while having 2 inexperienced tackles is basically begging the Defense to blow up your plays in the backfield.
I have no doubt enos will fix the passing game as there were plays were our guys were open we just got to get the ball to them at the end of the day.

Under enos at Arkansas
“In 2015 and 2016, the Razorbacks were one of two FBS teams with a 3,000-yard passer and 1,300-yard rusher -- featuring a different quarterback and different running back in each season.”

Yes getting the running game going is important but more importantly we need to get out of this ugly rut we are in with our passing game not even getting over 250 yards passing since game 1 vs LSU in 2018. That’s terrible for a power 5 team. Jarren with his 220 passing yards last game or so was higher than 8 of the last 9 games in the 2018 season which is crazy to even think about considering 220 passing yards is not that high lol.

Last edited:

I actually will go back and read it, but that won't change what I have to say, so...I fcking hate when people act like the running game is a thing that just works if you try it enough. That D was in our face all game daring us to pass. When the other team is talented up front and commits to pushing you, there isn't much to do other than go over their heads. And we saw that Jarren didn't have the time for that/was too inexperienced to make good reads with that pressure.

Maybe we could have run better, but I don't see how the issue was the number of runs. The issue was their front 4 being better than our OL. Had we made more completions early and forced them to ease up, maybe things would have been different. Simply running into that more often wasn't the answer.

We barely ran on first down.

We didn’t abandon the run because it was in effective, we never gave it a chance to help us.

We didn’t mix the snap count or attack their over aggressiveness on the line. Never made them consider making the ends play honest.

How are we going to get a passing game going with a freshman qb and two freshman tackles while allowing the defense to jump the snap and tee off on us with long qb drops? I forgot. Jarren is expected to play like he has “40 starts”.

Advertisement

We're a D1 Power 5 team, it's INEXCUSABLE that we can't pass for more than 220yds a game, even teams with far less talent can figure out how to throw for 250-270yds a game.

Bingo.

The 100 step drops have been an issue for a while now.

I watch us use the short passing game well then abondoned it for like years now. I watch teams with less star talent use pace, space, and the quick passing game to stress defenses and give themselves a fighting chance.

We marched right down the the field with short drops and rac, then abandoned it. People say the defense adjusted but that’s not what I saw on rewatch.

Enos said straight up the gators played soft much more than he expected.

These young guys come from high school systems that get the ball out quickly most plays. Remembering this I think is the first step to a competent passing game while we get better on the oline and more experienced at qb.

Some more hard runs underneath the defensive ends playing so hard upfield would have gotten more plays like DJ’s td run. They were to fast for any hesitation and it showed.

We barely ran on first down.

We didn’t abandon the run because it was in effective, we never gave it a chance to help us.

We didn’t mix the snap count or attack their over aggressiveness on the line. Never made them consider making the ends play honest.

How are we going to get a passing game going with a freshman qb and two freshman tackles while allowing the defense to jump the snap and tee off on us with long qb drops? I forgot. Jarren is expected to play like he has “40 starts”.

You are a god! This post is money.

This is one of my major issues with how Enos called the game. He completely abandoned the run

We need an offensive identity that fits the personnel. I feel every regime, lately, have what they want as an identity on either offense or defense, yet don’t have the personnel and still try to force it.
I agree 100%, but it is tough to develop an offensive identity first game out of the box. I’m sure Enos i learning about his offensive personnel, how they react to game situations, what works/what doesn’t, etc. I’m assuming he will settle over the next couple of games and more of the offense he wants to run with the players he has will start to develop.

That Florida game was rich in missed blocks and blocking assignments. The lanes were begging to be there but our OL had Tunnel Vision 5 thousand.

And yes, our TEs are horrible in blocking. Irvin deserves PT off that fact alone.

Advertisement

How do you know what the running game is capable of. We never like the op said had any conviction to the run.

Nice Avi!

How do you know what the running game is capable of. We never like the op said had any conviction to the run.
I don't know. What I do know is that it wasn't crazy not to pin our hopes on our worst unit against their best unit. I think the coaches knew what they had on the OL and didn't like their chances.

Know who likes to pound the rock even when he's clearly overmatched and the other team has clearly sold out to stop the run?

Mark Richt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back