Commit Breakdown: Christian Watson

Restonp

Recruit
Christian Watson:
#33 SF
#1 player is Washington D.C #1 SF
6’6 195lbs
Future: 3-D Wing player, potential three-level scorer.

Christian Watson to me is a very intriguing prospect with a moderate floor and high ceiling. The film is full of ‘potential’, he doesn’t get the opportunity in the games I watched (2-3 games) to make a lot of plays due to the system St. Johns College Highschool runs (small ball with him at the 4). Usually does his damage as a spot-up shooter and attacking in transition. SJCH finished 15-13 and 7-7 in the conference, they don’t get blown out much and play hard, but make a lot of head-scratching plays. SJCH plays in the WCAC a high-level DMV league, one of the stronger leagues in America.

For this breakdown, I used the Mcnamara and Heights games and I think they highlight him the best. There is one game vs Dematha where he played against number 10 SF and Xavier commit Tyrell Ward and #8 CG Rodney Rice a future ACC rival and VT commit. I want to see this one, they highlight him quite a bit, and scored 21.

Size:
He is listed at 6’6 which I think is accurate, he’s long and has broad shoulders. He looks bigger than 195lbs but still has room to pack on more muscle on his frame, looks like a grown man. Which he will need to do due to his play style.

Shooting:
Watson has a textbook shooting form. He has a quick release and when he wants to shoot it he can get it off. I would love to see how effective his shot is from the corner or wing where he will get looks at the D-1 level. But SJCH play’s him up top against zones as a passer. A confident shooter tends to take a lot of deep threes. Potential as a shot creator.
Clips:

• 2:18-2:22: Show’s a quick release from the corner this will be his shot at the next level.
  • 5:51-5:57: Another quick release
  • 6:17-6:20: A pick and pop, out of a double screen maybe a Spain set? something we run a lot of.

Athleticism:
Watson is very athletic he’s not an uber athlete like Lonnie but more along the lines of a Walker and Mclendon, more power than explosive if that makes sense. I expect many above the rim plays off of alley-oops. The best thing is his ability to change direction on defense. He is also very strong guarding post-up and can be seen attacking the basket. I expect a Brown-like physical profile after 4 years.

• 17:06-17:11: Off the turn-over does a good job of not overrunning the passing lanes making himself available, then takes 2 dribbles then goes for the dunk. Would like to see him take the dribble with his left to avoid the defender’s swipes.
  • 23:00-23:10: almost get’s the chase down but look how high he gets, he’s a powerful athlete.
Finishing:
Watson shows the potential of a slasher Move’s good off the ball with well-timed cuts (his team misses him on these also has a good first step and can both finish with power and finesse. With the ability to use floaters and fearless rim attacking. Needs to improve finishing rates but the potential is there to be effective at the D-1 level.

• 0:48-0:53: sneaks through the back door, Has to yell to get the pass, then shows off his strength for the strong finish. If the teammate had his head up Watson would’ve has a body.
  • 1:28-1:31: Again cut’s back door for the easy dunk.
  • 3:09-3:10: Shows great strength and touch on the finish. This is a D1 finish.
  • Just watch the whole thing with lots of High-level finishes, wish it was a whole game to see the truth but show’s his strength and finesse in a lot of these.

• 30:55-30:40: Shows his great first step and aggressive finishing
  • 31:54-32:00: Shows his finesse finishing potential with a very McGusty like drive and high floater off the backboard.

Dribbling and Passing:
He has a good I.Q when it comes to basketball. He is never in a rush to make a play, often the right play is the first play you see, and he proves this by making the simple passes and reads not turning the ball over much. When it comes to dribbling I’m positive if he develops as I see he will become a shot creator, shows a nice size up, and just needs to work on creating more counters and not picking up his dribble or giving up on the 1-on-1 too quickly.

• 32:55-33:05: Does a good job drawing the double team for as long as possible, and not picking up his dribble, creating a 4 on 3 on the weakside. Then makes the cross-court pass to the open man. Underrated but a high-level basketball play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS4K7Z2j-BA&t=5049s
  • 21:35-21:45: Show’s great IQ, he starts to make a move to attack then notices the numbers disadvantage, he pulls up and passes to the trail man for an open three.

Defense:
This is the best part of Watson’s film, he is very instinctual on defense. Need’s to work on his on-ball defense. He gets beat off the dribble too easily, and need’s to lower at the hips a bit more and be less passive. Does show potential to be a ball stopper due to his size and has good instincts. He is already a great off-ball defender and uses his length well to play and cut off passing lanes as well as to contest without fouling. Aggressive in attacking defensive rebounds, and is not scared of defending or contesting bigs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI8EMFdTKeE
  • 4:10-4:15: Get’s caught flat-footed and bites on the hesi leading to get blown by. Show effort on the recovery but takes a bad angle, needs to move feet better here.
  • 21:55-22:05: Show’s his versatility this time guarding Favour he does a great job fronting his not allowing the entry pass off the screen. Need’s to know he’s the long ‘big’ in this small ball line-up and should attack the boards looking for work.
  • 26:30-26:45: Again matched up against Favour and uses his strength to fight for position, and then boxes Favour out and Forcing Favour to fight over him, tipping the ball out of bounds.
  • 24:35-24:44: Is too upright just bends his back not hips and knees. Doesn’t slide his feet but instead crosses his legs, and as a result, gets lost by the step back. But the guys didn’t make it so it doesn’t count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmNeFLmxc&ab_channel=StJohnsCHS
  • 30:38-30:44: Show great IQ to stop the ball and end the break, also shows good footwork to beat his man to his spot (not allowing a blocking foul) and causes what should’ve been travel.
  • 29:36-29:38: Shows great recovery as well as footwork and hip flexibility to show double, then cut off the backdoor pass.

Attitude and work ethic:
He seems to be a ‘lead by example type of guy. Isn’t very animated but the team’s energy seems to follow his. Can’t speak about his off-court work ethic. One court dude works hard, like really hard. Especially on defense sometimes he will switch 2-3 times and guards 5 positions. At D1 I expect him to guard some PG but mostly C/G’s (Combo Guards, or 2’s), wings, and occasionally big’s if they decide to go small. I would like to see him work harder on offense, attacking, and moving more. That could be because of the system they run.

All in all:
A sleeper prospect, one of those ‘how did he go unnoticed’ type of guys. I can see him getting playing time early mainly due to his size versatility and defense (similar to Wooga last season). He is built in a similar way to Reed, Mclendon, Brown, and McGusty and Coach L has shown the ability to develop these types of all-rounded wings. He is closer to a Reed than the others in play style but is similar in the frame to McGusty. Like the others, I don't expect him to become an impact player until maybe his junior, or senior years. I see a future 5-year player red-shirting his freshman season. I don’t have high expectations, but wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes an elite role player.

Bonus:
The film was hard to watch his team is not that good, a lot of shot chuckers. But they play hard. I’m interested in his development, could end up getting buried like Harlond, or becoming an important player like Davon. Very intriguing player, I recommend watching both games and the highlight reel, makes tones of great plays including a tough lay-up over Favour. If I have to compare him to any past Cane I would say a Davon Reed with the finishing ability of McGusty, he also has the potential and frame to be a three-level scorer like Mcgusty.

• 1:11:10-1:12:40: Favour is a bully lol, love it.

Let me know your thoughts on Watson?

Advertisement
Your write-up is solid, IMO.

Only thing I'd add is that St John's plays in the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference, along with other power HS programs such as DeMatha, Gonzaga, St. Paul's, Bishop McNamara and others. League has produced a ton of college and pro talent over the decades. Watson has played against elite competition, night in and out in the WCAC, not just on an AAU team. A very good college prep program too so I'd think that bodes well for his academic workload at UM.

Advertisement
Christian Watson:
#33 SF
#1 player is Washington D.C #1 SF
6’6 195lbs
Future: 3-D Wing player, potential three-level scorer.

Christian Watson to me is a very intriguing prospect with a moderate floor and high ceiling. The film is full of ‘potential’, he doesn’t get the opportunity in the games I watched (2-3 games) to make a lot of plays due to the system St. Johns College Highschool runs (small ball with him at the 4). Usually does his damage as a spot-up shooter and attacking in transition. SJCH finished 15-13 and 7-7 in the conference, they don’t get blown out much and play hard, but make a lot of head-scratching plays. SJCH plays in the WCAC a high-level DMV league, one of the stronger leagues in America.

For this breakdown, I used the Mcnamara and Heights games and I think they highlight him the best. There is one game vs Dematha where he played against number 10 SF and Xavier commit Tyrell Ward and #8 CG Rodney Rice a future ACC rival and VT commit. I want to see this one, they highlight him quite a bit, and scored 21.

Size:
He is listed at 6’6 which I think is accurate, he’s long and has broad shoulders. He looks bigger than 195lbs but still has room to pack on more muscle on his frame, looks like a grown man. Which he will need to do due to his play style.

Shooting:
Watson has a textbook shooting form. He has a quick release and when he wants to shoot it he can get it off. I would love to see how effective his shot is from the corner or wing where he will get looks at the D-1 level. But SJCH play’s him up top against zones as a passer. A confident shooter tends to take a lot of deep threes. Potential as a shot creator.
Clips:

• 2:18-2:22: Show’s a quick release from the corner this will be his shot at the next level.
  • 5:51-5:57: Another quick release
  • 6:17-6:20: A pick and pop, out of a double screen maybe a Spain set? something we run a lot of.

Athleticism:
Watson is very athletic he’s not an uber athlete like Lonnie but more along the lines of a Walker and Mclendon, more power than explosive if that makes sense. I expect many above the rim plays off of alley-oops. The best thing is his ability to change direction on defense. He is also very strong guarding post-up and can be seen attacking the basket. I expect a Brown-like physical profile after 4 years.

• 17:06-17:11: Off the turn-over does a good job of not overrunning the passing lanes making himself available, then takes 2 dribbles then goes for the dunk. Would like to see him take the dribble with his left to avoid the defender’s swipes.
  • 23:00-23:10: almost get’s the chase down but look how high he gets, he’s a powerful athlete.
Finishing:
Watson shows the potential of a slasher Move’s good off the ball with well-timed cuts (his team misses him on these also has a good first step and can both finish with power and finesse. With the ability to use floaters and fearless rim attacking. Needs to improve finishing rates but the potential is there to be effective at the D-1 level.

• 0:48-0:53: sneaks through the back door, Has to yell to get the pass, then shows off his strength for the strong finish. If the teammate had his head up Watson would’ve has a body.
  • 1:28-1:31: Again cut’s back door for the easy dunk.
  • 3:09-3:10: Shows great strength and touch on the finish. This is a D1 finish.
  • Just watch the whole thing with lots of High-level finishes, wish it was a whole game to see the truth but show’s his strength and finesse in a lot of these.

• 30:55-30:40: Shows his great first step and aggressive finishing
  • 31:54-32:00: Shows his finesse finishing potential with a very McGusty like drive and high floater off the backboard.

Dribbling and Passing:
He has a good I.Q when it comes to basketball. He is never in a rush to make a play, often the right play is the first play you see, and he proves this by making the simple passes and reads not turning the ball over much. When it comes to dribbling I’m positive if he develops as I see he will become a shot creator, shows a nice size up, and just needs to work on creating more counters and not picking up his dribble or giving up on the 1-on-1 too quickly.

• 32:55-33:05: Does a good job drawing the double team for as long as possible, and not picking up his dribble, creating a 4 on 3 on the weakside. Then makes the cross-court pass to the open man. Underrated but a high-level basketball play.
  • 21:35-21:45: Show’s great IQ, he starts to make a move to attack then notices the numbers disadvantage, he pulls up and passes to the trail man for an open three.

Defense:
This is the best part of Watson’s film, he is very instinctual on defense. Need’s to work on his on-ball defense. He gets beat off the dribble too easily, and need’s to lower at the hips a bit more and be less passive. Does show potential to be a ball stopper due to his size and has good instincts. He is already a great off-ball defender and uses his length well to play and cut off passing lanes as well as to contest without fouling. Aggressive in attacking defensive rebounds, and is not scared of defending or contesting bigs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI8EMFdTKeE
  • 4:10-4:15: Get’s caught flat-footed and bites on the hesi leading to get blown by. Show effort on the recovery but takes a bad angle, needs to move feet better here.
  • 21:55-22:05: Show’s his versatility this time guarding Favour he does a great job fronting his not allowing the entry pass off the screen. Need’s to know he’s the long ‘big’ in this small ball line-up and should attack the boards looking for work.
  • 26:30-26:45: Again matched up against Favour and uses his strength to fight for position, and then boxes Favour out and Forcing Favour to fight over him, tipping the ball out of bounds.
  • 24:35-24:44: Is too upright just bends his back not hips and knees. Doesn’t slide his feet but instead crosses his legs, and as a result, gets lost by the step back. But the guys didn’t make it so it doesn’t count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJpmNeFLmxc&ab_channel=StJohnsCHS
  • 30:38-30:44: Show great IQ to stop the ball and end the break, also shows good footwork to beat his man to his spot (not allowing a blocking foul) and causes what should’ve been travel.
  • 29:36-29:38: Shows great recovery as well as footwork and hip flexibility to show double, then cut off the backdoor pass.

Attitude and work ethic:
He seems to be a ‘lead by example type of guy. Isn’t very animated but the team’s energy seems to follow his. Can’t speak about his off-court work ethic. One court dude works hard, like really hard. Especially on defense sometimes he will switch 2-3 times and guards 5 positions. At D1 I expect him to guard some PG but mostly C/G’s (Combo Guards, or 2’s), wings, and occasionally big’s if they decide to go small. I would like to see him work harder on offense, attacking, and moving more. That could be because of the system they run.

All in all:
A sleeper prospect, one of those ‘how did he go unnoticed’ type of guys. I can see him getting playing time early mainly due to his size versatility and defense (similar to Wooga last season). He is built in a similar way to Reed, Mclendon, Brown, and McGusty and Coach L has shown the ability to develop these types of all-rounded wings. He is closer to a Reed than the others in play style but is similar in the frame to McGusty. Like the others, I don't expect him to become an impact player until maybe his junior, or senior years. I see a future 5-year player red-shirting his freshman season. I don’t have high expectations, but wouldn’t be surprised if he becomes an elite role player.

Bonus:
The film was hard to watch his team is not that good, a lot of shot chuckers. But they play hard. I’m interested in his development, could end up getting buried like Harlond, or becoming an important player like Davon. Very intriguing player, I recommend watching both games and the highlight reel, makes tones of great plays including a tough lay-up over Favour. If I have to compare him to any past Cane I would say a Davon Reed with the finishing ability of McGusty, he also has the potential and frame to be a three-level scorer like Mcgusty.

• 1:11:10-1:12:40: Favour is a bully lol, love it.

Let me know your thoughts on Watson?

I like when I hear DEEP THREE SHOOTER 🙌🙌🙌

Great write-up. I think Watson is being underrated. I'm not so sure that her redshirts this season, I think he is more college ready than Danilo and will get some bench minutes playing the 3.

Advertisement

Very natural shooting form from that distance. Too many guys lower their release point or turn their hips on long shots. This young man looked confident and natural taking that long 3.

Watson looks like he will be a contributor from day 1. As you noted he already has the body of a college player and looks to have the shot. He will need to handle the ball some to play on the wing so we will have to see how his ball handling stacks up. And defense is always a crap shoot for freshmen but at least he played against a lot of college players in his league.

Very natural shooting form from that distance. Too many guys lower their release point or turn their hips on long shots. This young man looked confident and natural taking that long 3.

Watson looks like he will be a contributor from day 1. As you noted he already has the body of a college player and looks to have the shot. He will need to handle the ball some to play on the wing so we will have to see how his ball handling stacks up. And defense is always a crap shoot for freshmen but at least he played against a lot of college players in his league.
Coach L had a lil grin on his face after that shot 😂

This kid can provide some legitimate depth as a Wing-Forward/Guard.

I love his natural Jump shot & his ability to create off the dribble to go along with very good above the rim athleticism.

I know Coach L usually doesn’t play TF’s too often, but I think AJ Casey & Watson can get good minutes off the bench this upcoming season.

With Wong, Joseph, Beverly, Miller & Pack, it will be interesting to see what we should expect from Poplar & Robinson if anything at all. If we can get any contributions from at least 3 of the question mark Guards, we could end up with a really solid backcourt.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back