Coming off national title, west coast star LB Davis lands UM offer

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Last week, 2021 Mater Dei (CA) 4-star LB Raesjon Davis received a Miami offer, which had been a personal goal of his for some time now.

“It was over the phone with coach (David) Cooney,” Davis said. “It was great getting the offer, it was a goal of mine.”

With the offer now in hand, the 6'1" 210 pound prospect is already trying to line up a visit to Miami in the next few months.

“My interest is high and I’m planning to take a trip out there soon,” Davis said. “It will be either in the summer or during the season.”

What is it about the Canes that makes him interested in the U?

“The tradition there is great and they can give you a great shot to go to the next level,” Davis said.

While Davis currently claims no top groups or leaders as of now, there are certainly a few other prominent Power 5 programs that are chasing him along with Miami.

“I went to Oregon last weekend,” Davis said. “LSU, USC, Michigan, Nebraska are also involved.”

A common issue for recruits on the west coast is the distance from home. Will it be a factor for Davis?

“No, I’ve been away from my family for periods of time and I can handle it,” Davis said.

Most schools set the goal of simply winning their state championship, but a program like Mater Dei that’s a known powerhouse nationwide desires a little more. Not only did Davis lead the Monarchs to a state title over De La Salle, but his team was also recognized as the national champions of high school football in 2018 according to such publications as USA Today and MaxPreps. Davis himself finished the year with 44 tackles, 20.5 TFL, 7.5 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, and 1 INT.

“It went great, we ended up being the national champions,” Davis said of his sophomore season. “My performance was good, I just have to improve on some things and make sure I continue to get better.”

Davis’ great season on the field led to him being named as the #1 outside linebacker in the 2021 class by 247Sports in their latest class rankings released this month. Davis was also ranked the #16 player overall in the country.

As for a decision timetable, Davis is keeping things open for now, but it’s clear the school that eventually lands his signature will have a comfortable environment to offer the rising junior.

“I haven’t planned a decision time or anything yet,” Davis said. “I’m looking for a family type of atmosphere, a school that I can come back to later on.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back