Columbia's Levontae Camiel talks UA Camp and Recruitment

View as article

Cory Grimes

Freshman
Premium
Columbia High School, also known as “The Zoo”, has been no stranger to elite football talent. Timmy Jernigan, Laremey Tunsil and 2019 4-star WR TJ Jones (Penn State signee) are a just a couple notable alums in recent memory. 2020 DE/OLB Levontae Camiel is eager to get his name on that list. At around 6’3 205, he’s an explosive athlete coming off the edge with an Ivy League mind (holds Dartmouth offer). Camiel showed out on Sunday at the Under Armour combine in Orlando. He showed off his athleticism with a variety of moves that had opposing O lineman going cross eyed in the 1 on 1 sessions. Combine the athleticism, impressive length and ability to effectively use his hands, Camiel has all the tools to be an elite pass rusher at the next level. I caught up with Levontae after the camp. Here’s what he had to say:

How do you feel about your performance in the camp, and what was it like to go against some of the top talent in the country?

“Man, I did great. I only lost one rep during 1 on 1s. It was a great experience. I hope later on that I am blessed to get an invite. I’m just blessed to have an opportunity to come out here and compete against some of the best.”

Speaking of 1 on 1’s, I saw you go to the spin move multiple times, is that your go to move?

“(Laughs) Yeah, that’s probably one of my favorite moves right now. I am really just now incorporating that into my game, so I am still working on it. You’ll see it later on in the season. It’ll be a little bit better.”

Camiel put several O linemen in a blender with his spin move on Sunday.

You are headed to the Nike Opening next week, what did you learn from today that you are hoping to do better next week?

“Work on my hands in my little bit more. Getting more comfortable with my hand in the ground rather than just standing up all the time.”

What’s your least favorite part of these camps?

“It’s really a political game, but you know you got great athletes out there. God is going to make a way for everybody. You just got to be grateful for what you got. As long as my family is treated right, I am getting treated right, and go to the college of my choice, I am good. This is all just politics right here, so I am going to do me regardless.”

As far as the recruiting process, what are you the main factors in a school that will ultimately help you make that final decision?

“Somebody that treats my family right, make my family feel at home, make me feel at home, and I just want to get close with my position coach. Just in case things hit the fan, I want to be cool with my position coach and feel comfortable whether he’s there or not.”

You are flying a bit under the radar right now, are college coaches telling you that you need to work on specific things that will maybe help you land those big time offers?

“Not really. Mainly just the weight problem. Other than that, they’re telling me they like how I use my hands and how I am coming off the edge.”

The Miami staff was recently at Columbia and told you that you are on their radar, what else are they telling you right now?

“With Miami, the new coaching staff told me they want to talk me later on throughout the spring. So, I am just waiting on that.”

Levontae Camiel finished his 2018 campaign with 12 sacks and 18 TFL. He is one of the most underrated prospects in all of Florida. I predict his stock will rise after this off season. He currently holds offers from USF, Cincinnati and the aforementioned Dartmouth among others. Now at 205, Camiel plans to get to 225 pounds within the next couple months. He’s as athletic as any DE you can find and plays with tenacity and confidence. He lines up mostly at defensive end, but I personally think he has the skillset to also be an OLB hybrid type player who could drop into coverage from time to time. I’ve gotten to know Levontae a bit over the past couple months since his appearance on our Friday Night InSight podcast. He has an infectious personality that any locker room will benefit from. Whether Miami ends up pulling the trigger on the offer or not, keep your eye on Camiel because I have no doubt that he is an impact player on the next level.

Advertisement
Columbia High School, also known as “The Zoo”, has been no stranger to elite football talent. Timmy Jernigan, Laremey Tunsil and 2019 4-star WR TJ Jones (Penn State signee) are a just a couple notable alums in recent memory. 2020 DE/OLB Levontae Camiel is eager to get his name on that list. At around 6’3 205, he’s an explosive athlete coming off the edge with an Ivy League mind (holds Dartmouth offer). Camiel showed out on Sunday at the Under Armour combine in Orlando. He showed off his athleticism with a variety of moves that had opposing O lineman going cross eyed in the 1 on 1 sessions. Combine the athleticism, impressive length and ability to effectively use his hands, Camiel has all the tools to be an elite pass rusher at the next level. I caught up with Levontae after the camp. Here’s what he had to say:

How do you feel about your performance in the camp, and what was it like to go against some of the top talent in the country?

“Man, I did great. I only lost one rep during 1 on 1s. It was a great experience. I hope later on that I am blessed to get an invite. I’m just blessed to have an opportunity to come out here and compete against some of the best.”

Speaking of 1 on 1’s, I saw you go to the spin move multiple times, is that your go to move?

“(Laughs) Yeah, that’s probably one of my favorite moves right now. I am really just now incorporating that into my game, so I am still working on it. You’ll see it later on in the season. It’ll be a little bit better.”

Camiel put several O linemen in a blender with his spin move on Sunday.

You are headed to the Nike Opening next week, what did you learn from today that you are hoping to do better next week?

“Work on my hands in my little bit more. Getting more comfortable with my hand in the ground rather than just standing up all the time.”

What’s your least favorite part of these camps?

“It’s really a political game, but you know you got great athletes out there. God is going to make a way for everybody. You just got to be grateful for what you got. As long as my family is treated right, I am getting treated right, and go to the college of my choice, I am good. This is all just politics right here, so I am going to do me regardless.”

As far as the recruiting process, what are you the main factors in a school that will ultimately help you make that final decision?

“Somebody that treats my family right, make my family feel at home, make me feel at home, and I just want to get close with my position coach. Just in case things hit the fan, I want to be cool with my position coach and feel comfortable whether he’s there or not.”

You are flying a bit under the radar right now, are college coaches telling you that you need to work on specific things that will maybe help you land those big time offers?

“Not really. Mainly just the weight problem. Other than that, they’re telling me they like how I use my hands and how I am coming off the edge.”

The Miami staff was recently at Columbia and told you that you are on their radar, what else are they telling you right now?

“With Miami, the new coaching staff told me they want to talk me later on throughout the spring. So, I am just waiting on that.”

Levontae Camiel finished his 2018 campaign with 12 sacks and 18 TFL. He is one of the most underrated prospects in all of Florida. I predict his stock will rise after this off season. He currently holds offers from USF, Cincinnati and the aforementioned Dartmouth among others. Now at 205, Camiel plans to get to 225 pounds within the next couple months. He’s as athletic as any DE you can find and plays with tenacity and confidence. He lines up mostly at defensive end, but I personally think he has the skillset to also be an OLB hybrid type player who could drop into coverage from time to time. I’ve gotten to know Levontae a bit over the past couple months since his appearance on our Friday Night InSight podcast. He has an infectious personality that any locker room will benefit from. Whether Miami ends up pulling the trigger on the offer or not, keep your eye on Camiel because I have no doubt that he is an impact player on the next level.

Good overview Cory! Thank you for the details!

Advertisement
Nice interview... Im guessing the staff is holding out to see how this kid looks after some much needed weight gain??

Looks the part though rushing the passer just hope he can add the needed weight

Somebody that treats my family right, make my family feel at home, make me feel at home, and I just want to get close with my position coach. Just in case things hit the fan, I want to be cool with my position coach and feel comfortable whether he’s there or not.”

This is all CODE for “Show us the bags.” 🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
Back