College Football Pick 'Em Article - Week 0

View as article

PhilWood

Premium
College football season is back. Let that sink in. For anyone who listened to the College Football Pick 'Em Pod with Will and I last season, welcome to the article version which will be coming to you weekly throughout the 2019 season.

There may not be a full slate of games this weekend, but week 0 offers a few opportunities for those itching to place bets on some meaningful football games. Of course there is the primetime Miami vs UF matchup on Saturday night, but there is also a west coast game that follows it that provides an interesting QB matchup and the promise of a lot of points.

MIAMI VS UF
Line – UF -7.5
O/U - 47

I wish I had more faith in Miami than I do. Florida has a very good defense and an offense that is good enough at taking care of the ball to not put the defense in bad positions. I also fear Florida just has too much experience for a Canes team with a lot of new pieces. I do think there will be some huge improvements for the Canes this season, but unfortunately I don’t think those improvements are coming in week 0. I just hope the fan base doesn’t overreact if things go poorly in this first game. My prediction for this game is 24-14 Florida, but I could easily see the Canes keeping it within a touchdown. What I don’t see is the over hitting. With Jarren Williams making his first start, under the brightest of lights, and both teams known more for their defense than offense, I expect this game to be played in the 30s or low 40s. The over/under opened at 50.5 and is currently set at 47. I still think that’s about 5 points too high before I would start to be worried. My advice. Stay away from the spread, and give me the under.

BET:
Under 47

ARIZONA AT HAWAII

Line – Arizona -11
O/U – 74

Yes, there is a second game being played on Saturday night, and it promises to be the exact opposite of what is expected of the game in Orlando. Hawaii and Arizona are two teams that want to beat you by outscoring you. When they’re at their best, Cole McDonald and Khalil Tate are two of the most exciting quarterbacks to watch in college football, because of how quickly they play and how explosive they can be. Tate had a disappointing season last year after a great campaign in 2017. Hawaii, on the other hand, showed a lot of improvement, winning 8 games in 2018 after just 3 in 2017. While both teams surely want to score, the over/under is set at an astoundingly high 74 points. While this number is certainly obtainable, I don’t think that it’s going to happen, because I expect this game to be quite lopsided. Hawaii overachieved last season and is going to fall back down to earth this season, while Tate realizes this is his last chance to impress pro-scouts. I expect Arizona to do their part and put up over 40 points, but I expect Hawaii to only score in the 20s.

BETS:
Arizona -11
Under 74

Advertisement
College football season is back. Let that sink in. For anyone who listened to the College Football Pick 'Em Pod with Will and I last season, welcome to the article version which will be coming to you weekly throughout the 2019 season.

There may not be a full slate of games this weekend, but week 0 offers a few opportunities for those itching to place bets on some meaningful football games. Of course there is the primetime Miami vs UF matchup on Saturday night, but there is also a west coast game that follows it that provides an interesting QB matchup and the promise of a lot of points.

MIAMI VS UF
Line – UF -7.5
O/U - 47

I wish I had more faith in Miami than I do. Florida has a very good defense and an offense that is good enough at taking care of the ball to not put the defense in bad positions. I also fear Florida just has too much experience for a Canes team with a lot of new pieces. I do think there will be some huge improvements for the Canes this season, but unfortunately I don’t think those improvements are coming in week 0. I just hope the fan base doesn’t overreact if things go poorly in this first game. My prediction for this game is 24-14 Florida, but I could easily see the Canes keeping it within a touchdown. What I don’t see is the over hitting. With Jarren Williams making his first start, under the brightest of lights, and both teams known more for their defense than offense, I expect this game to be played in the 30s or low 40s. The over/under opened at 50.5 and is currently set at 47. I still think that’s about 5 points too high before I would start to be worried. My advice. Stay away from the spread, and give me the under.

BET:
Under 47

Kudos to you for keeping your emotions out of it and having the courage to take the likely wrath of the board. I hope that you are wrong, but I am fearful you are right. Then again I thought we had a strong chance against LSU last year and that we would lose to ND the year before so what do I know. :noidea:

I'd take -7.5 and miami.I have a guy feeling canes offense is gonna surprise the gaytors and maybe score a couple tds .also have that feeling defense might get a couple plus set up the offense for a couple.

Arizona game Arizona wins big but you'll be sweating that under 74.Hawaii is the unknown here at home they could give Arizona trouble for a half.

Advertisement
Why I love most prognosticators. LMAO I’ll bet you win half or less of your picks. I’ll bump this after the weekend. FWIW you picked the gators -7.5 🤔 24-14 I’ll count that one too. You won’t be better than 2-2

Advertisement
Prognosticators never show up when they are dead *** wrong.

Similar to all the idiots on draft day making X,Y, Z assumption.

Why I love most prognosticators. LMAO I’ll bet you win half or less of your picks. I’ll bump this after the weekend. FWIW you picked the gators -7.5 🤔 24-14 I’ll count that one too. You won’t be better than 2-2

Are you suggesting that you can do better or just that people that offer up betting lines in general are typically no better than 50%?

@PhilWood - Will you be tracking your results over the course of the season?

I'd take -7.5 and miami.I have a guy feeling canes offense is gonna surprise the gaytors and maybe score a couple tds .also have that feeling defense might get a couple plus set up the offense for a couple.

Arizona game Arizona wins big but you'll be sweating that under 74.Hawaii is the unknown here at home they could give Arizona trouble for a half.
I agree I do think our offense is going to surprise.

Advertisement
Rarily rarily does a QB with virtually no experience win a Big game like this. Last year the QB for LSU forgot his name was a transfer.

Advertisement

MIAMI VS UF
Line – UF -7.5
O/U - 47

BET:
Under 47

ARIZONA AT HAWAII

Line – Arizona -11
O/U – 74

Yes, there is a second game being played on Saturday night, and it promises to be the exact opposite of what is expected of the game in Orlando. Hawaii and Arizona are two teams that want to beat you by outscoring you. When they’re at their best, Cole McDonald and Khalil Tate are two of the most exciting quarterbacks to watch in college football, because of how quickly they play and how explosive they can be. Tate had a disappointing season last year after a great campaign in 2017. Hawaii, on the other hand, showed a lot of improvement, winning 8 games in 2018 after just 3 in 2017. While both teams surely want to score, the over/under is set at an astoundingly high 74 points. While this number is certainly obtainable, I don’t think that it’s going to happen, because I expect this game to be quite lopsided. Hawaii overachieved last season and is going to fall back down to earth this season, while Tate realizes this is his last chance to impress pro-scouts. I expect Arizona to do their part and put up over 40 points, but I expect Hawaii to only score in the 20s.

BETS:
Arizona -11
Under 74

I just hope the fan base doesn’t overreact if things go poorly in this first game.

I feel you. I can see the game being similar to the Tebow game where the D keeps us right there but in the end the UF experience wins out. I can also see us winning and winning big because I really think UF believes this game is a wrap already. The element of surprise with the new offense could be magical if things click right away.

I'm conflicted. I'm very nervous for our OL and QB but if the 2 tackles hold their own I think we can win. My fandom is with the Canes winning. The safe bet is on UF. If we all being honest UF should win this game but they play these games for a reason. 8/24 I won't be surprised either way.

I feel you. I can see the game being similar to the Tebow game where the D keeps us right there but in the end the UF experience wins out. I can also see us winning and winning big because I really think UF believes this game is a wrap already. The element of surprise with the new offense could be magical if things click right away.

I'm conflicted. I'm very nervous for our OL and QB but if the 2 tackles hold their own I think we can win. My fandom is with the Canes winning. The safe bet is on UF. If we all being honest UF should win this game but they play these games for a reason. 8/24 I won't be surprised either way.
I don't at all agree that the gator having to cover a touchdown or more is the safe bet.

I bet Miami on the money line 2 weeks ago. Hoping the OL and secondary issues are enough and we come out fast and get the lead

Advertisement
Back