College Football isn't about defense anymore

CanesDynasty

Recruit
Its all about offense now. Earlier this year Miss St passed for 600 yds against the defending National Champ.
In 2019, Lsu put up 46 at Bama who has the best players and coaches money can buy. Lsu then put up 42 against Venables. In 2018, Clemson and Bama went up and down the field on each other with no defense. Ultimately it was a true freshman Lawerence who was on the winning end against Saban. That same year, Anthony McFarland ran for 300 yards against Osu, scoring over 50 points and the next week that same Osu team scored 62 on a loaded Michigan defense led by Don Brown.

The bottom line is, this isn't just a Miami problem. Great offenses rarely get stopped. Just look at Georgia in their 2 losses this year. They got boat raced. Make no bones about it, Unc has great skill players at QB, WR, and obviously RB. Forget the saying "we never got off the bus" it looked like we never got out of bed. Clearly, we need to clean house with the defensive staff because this wasn't the first time we've been exposed, it was just the icing on the cake.

Advertisement
It’s all relative.. what happened yesterday wasn’t a good offense bearing a decent D. It was a good offense exploiting a poorly coached and unprepared defense.
The other frustrating aspect was our offense. Doesn't help the defense when the offense has 3 points through the first 29 minutes. Just one of those games that doesn't have an explanation.

Advertisement
Defense may not be what we grew up with but at the end of the day defense still needs to show up

we are so poorly coached on that side of the ball it’s laughable. Always out of position and over running plays

manny’s defense is all about creating havoc. Against a competent team they rape him every time. You still need excellent coaching on defense to stem the tide against today’s high powered offenses.

Advertisement
I'm not sure where you're going with this.
I don't expect a level 10 D.
Level 6-7 is acceptable, with a good offense.

Bad games happen.
Games like this can not happen.

We had Zero stops.
Zero.
I agree with you. This performance cannot happen. My post is not an excuse but an example of what the college landscape has become. I literally said, its like we never got out of bed. Not once did I say yesterday was acceptable. I'm just adding a different perspective since every other post repeats what we already know.

Advertisement
"Experts" have said all year that we have one of the best defensive lines in the country.. I don't disagree, but that **** last night was poor game planning by the coaches. Nobody showed up...the players nor the coaches. The only thing anyone was hyped about was wearing the Miami Nights uniforms.. They forgot there was a game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The other frustrating aspect was our offense. Doesn't help the defense when the offense has 3 points through the first 29 minutes. Just one of those games that doesn't have an explanation.
I agree.
I'm not sure where you're going with this.
I don't expect a level 10 D.
Level 6-7 is acceptable, with a good offense.

Bad games happen.
Games like this can not happen.

We had Zero stops.
Zero.
I agree 100%. When you make NCAA history, you can make any excuses. Players (who really aren’t as good as they think they are) quit, but the players also knew the coaches were being out coached. Phil Longo understood our defensive scheme, and the Canes never made any defensive adjustments. Everything starts with the running game, and Longo called several very simple counter running plays to take advantage of the Canes aggressive defensive scheme, such as running inside the gap where the DE vacated and having the UNC OT push the Canes DE outside . His players were coached to know exactly what we were doing on defense, and they hit us for big play after big play. UNC players had a lot of confidence in their coaches because what they were told during the week was actually happening in the game.

Coaches should have sold out against the run. Our safeties and LBs are slow and took a lot of bad angles. I don’t think our coaches study film of the opponent.

Last edited:
Its all about offense now. Earlier this year Miss St passed for 600 yds against the defending National Champ.
In 2019, Lsu put up 46 at Bama who has the best players and coaches money can buy. Lsu then put up 42 against Venables. In 2018, Clemson and Bama went up and down the field on each other with no defense. Ultimately it was a true freshman Lawerence who was on the winning end against Saban. That same year, Anthony McFarland ran for 300 yards against Osu, scoring over 50 points and the next week that same Osu team scored 62 on a loaded Michigan defense led by Don Brown.

The bottom line is, this isn't just a Miami problem. Great offenses rarely get stopped. Just look at Georgia in their 2 losses this year. They got boat raced. Make no bones about it, Unc has great skill players at QB, WR, and obviously RB. Forget the saying "we never got off the bus" it looked like we never got out of bed. Clearly, we need to clean house with the defensive staff because this wasn't the first time we've been exposed, it was just the icing on the cake.
Head coaches from the definitive side of the ball are going the way of the dinosaur. You want to win in today’s CFB your head coach has to be offfensive guy that’s smart enough to hire a quality DC that can get him a few stops a game. That’s the game now as defense has basically been legislatively eliminated from the game.

Advertisement
Back