College Football enters College Basketball Corruption Level

Nothing to see here.
Lxy.png

Advertisement
OP, It always was. Or, did you just have blinders on and hoped that it was somehow different? If anything, since there is so much more money to be made in football, the corruption has been/is worse.

Forget any money changing hands, it starts with the whole "student-athlete" premise. Just how many members of the UM football team would ever be admitted to the university under the merit standards applied to other non-athlete applicants? It escalates from there to the "bags" and whatever enters the picture.
I have not had blinders on, I have know money is and has been part of recruiting since at least the 70s. I have been waiting for this day to happen when someone stands up under oath and confesses. Now will anything happen? No. Look at the schools. Alabama, Notre Dame Michigan PSU. What's interesting is no LSU UGA Clemson Oregon etc etc

After reading further it seems that this guy is paying players NOT to go to certain schools, but to use him in the future as an advisor or whatever he was.

This seems to be a strategy of the prosecution - that these people acted on their own. The prosecution is going after INDIVIDUALS, not the system

It’s the defense that is the side trying to argue that the institutions have a culture of corruption, and the defendants, or atleast one, was just a pawn in the corrupt culture of college athletics.

Sean Miller and Will Wade are NO LONGER TESTIFYING because the prosecution argued corruption of the system had nothing to do with the crimes of the INDIVIDUALS. The judge ruled in favor of the prosecution - and that was really the checkmate in this whole charade. Will Wade was reinstated the next day.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm told Georgia is dropping bags like nobodys business. But they didn't make the list.

If you open the thread the guy making the payments said he did it from 2000-2014, which would mean Richt was at UGA during that time frame.

Other notes from the thread:

-He paid a Penn State player 10k to stay in school, when the kid went to the draft, the 10k was repaid by the father;

-Paid Hakeem Nicks from UNC, and Nicks helped link up other players with the bag man;

-Would pay anywhere from 300-3,000 per month, mainly western union to players families, friends, girlfriends;

Now this is the part that got me....

"Much of this was eventually uncovered and legislated by the NCAA, which hit UNC's football program. Blazer offered this information under cooperation with the government. He's facing a max of 67 years in prison if he lies or misleads. "

Am I reading that right? The NCAA uncovered the payments and legislated its own penalties against UNC yet it didn't hit the media? Wasn't made into a big deal? Instead all I heard was UNC players didn't learn Swahili despite majoring in it and passing....

Now this is the part that got me....

"Much of this was eventually uncovered and legislated by the NCAA, which hit UNC's football program. Blazer offered this information under cooperation with the government. He's facing a max of 67 years in prison if he lies or misleads. "

Am I reading that right? The NCAA uncovered the payments and legislated its own penalties against UNC yet it didn't hit the media? Wasn't made into a big deal? Instead all I heard was UNC players didn't learn Swahili despite majoring in it and passing....

Last summer, an official Notice of Allegations named Nicks as just one of five former players – along with three agents, a jeweler, "various financial advisers" and a guy named Willie [last name unknown] – who combine to funnel more than $27,000 in cash and other "impermissible assistance" to former teammates with eligibility remaining in 2009-10. Nicks' reported share of that total was $3,189.20 on behalf of unidentified recipients, a relative footnote in a scandal that ultimately resulted in the suspension of 14 players for at least one game; the permanent suspension or dismissal of four players;, three of them future draft picks; the vacation of 16 wins over two years; the imposition of scholarship losses and a one-year bowl ban by the NCAA;

After reading further it seems that this guy is paying players NOT to go to certain schools, but to use him in the future as an advisor or whatever he was.

This seems to be a strategy of the prosecution - that these people acted on their own. The prosecution is going after INDIVIDUALS, not the system

It’s the defense that is the side trying to argue that the institutions have a culture of corruption, and the defendants, or atleast one, was just a pawn in the corrupt culture of college athletics.

Sean Miller and Will Wade are NO LONGER TESTIFYING because the prosecution argued corruption of the system had nothing to do with the crimes of the INDIVIDUALS. The judge ruled in favor of the prosecution - and that was really the checkmate in this whole charade. Will Wade was reinstated the next day.
Kinda what I was gonna say... individuals are being prosecuted, and the schools will be able to claim they knew nothing of the payments. The ncaa will be able to punish the players without sanctioning the schools.

Advertisement
That’s the narrative. A kid with some dude acted alone. School skates. Unless it’s us and car rentals.

Or us and Nevin.... I believe thats where the "lack of institutional control" comes into play.... We probably (hopefully) told the NCAA we knew nothing of the payments, he was a rogue booster, and we still got hit with lack of control.

Where this gets interesting is how do schools prevent it? Lets say I go pay a kid right now to play for Bama. How does bama properly vet the kid prior to letting him enroll to ensure he did not receive compensation? I understand once the kid is on campus and if the payments continue that seems it be a little easier to enforce, but the former seems **** near impossible.

Advertisement
Here’s what I don’t understand...

So the FBI set up an operation in which they set up wiretaps of individuals talking to coaches about paying players. They have college coaches making deals with handlers for recruits...

They then set up the prosecution strategy of going after the specific individuals listed. BUT, they have to share their wiretaps with the defense? Is that how Yahoo got it?

So Yahoo runs a story and that’s when the NCAA chooses to investigate Kansas and Georgia Tech, right?

But now, the NCAA is saying they will wait for the federal investigation to run its course, in which the college coaches will no longer be questioned? WTF? So how do they justify going after Kansas and Georgia Tech and no one else?

I'm told Georgia is dropping bags like nobodys business. But they didn't make the list.

Me thinks UGA has an inside man at the NCAA....NO WAY are they exempt.

Because you can hear those bags being dropped all over S.Fla...followed by the screams of joy of the families receiving them.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Last summer, an official Notice of Allegations named Nicks as just one of five former players – along with three agents, a jeweler, "various financial advisers" and a guy named Willie [last name unknown] – who combine to funnel more than $27,000 in cash and other "impermissible assistance" to former teammates with eligibility remaining in 2009-10. Nicks' reported share of that total was $3,189.20 on behalf of unidentified recipients, a relative footnote in a scandal that ultimately resulted in the suspension of 14 players for at least one game; the permanent suspension or dismissal of four players;, three of them future draft picks; the vacation of 16 wins over two years; the imposition of scholarship losses and a one-year bowl ban by the NCAA;

If any of this was Miami, it would be the death penalty. They get a slap on the wrist.

The only reason Alabama is in there is bc that guy named them. Until he provides real evidence, they won’t be touched. The only ones that will be touched are the garbage ones, like UNC and Pitt.

And best believe if UNC ever gets mentioned in the basketball part of it, their football team will get the death penalty to pay for it and they’ll skate free

I have not had blinders on, I have know money is and has been part of recruiting since at least the 70s. I have been waiting for this day to happen when someone stands up under oath and confesses. Now will anything happen? No. Look at the schools. Alabama, Notre Dame Michigan PSU. What's interesting is no LSU UGA Clemson Oregon etc etc
If you mean the 1870s. Paying players has been going on as long as the college game has been played. Just more newsworthy now since so much money is involved. Just wait until sports betting is up and running in all 50 states. This is nothing.

Advertisement
Back