Coley preaching consistency

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Offensive Coordinator James Coley spoke to the media before the start of practice number four on Tuesday morning.

**On the first three days of camp:
“Working hard, getting better. A lot of guys are fighting through and competing. There’s a lot of competition going on, on both sides of the ball, but we’re enjoying it as a coaching staff watching these guys fight so we like what we’re seeing as far as the commitment to getting better on the next day.”

**How often do you have guys with 4.29 speed like Phillip Dorsett?
“You usually have a guy whose a track guy and usually fast and it’s always great when he can catch the ball so it’s good when you look out there and see the coverage and you know they’re going to roll one way or the other and there he is locked up. The only problem is, Artie Burns is on him (laughs). He’s fast so sometimes it’s a wash, but it’s good to have 4.2 guys on both sides.”

**On the importance of the offensive line to this offense:
“Every offense. When those guys up front are who they are, a talented, smart, tough bunch, it filters on to everybody else. If the biggest guy in the room is confident and knows he’s good, the little guy is going to feed off of that. It’s awesome to have them.”

**Can you get a sense of what Sandland can give you this year?
“Yeah, I do. He’s a guy who has prototypical tight end skills. He can do it both, run routes and block. What were doing now on day four is trying to see where we’re at in consistency. That’s what we’re coaching right now, to make sure they bring it everyday. You have the talent, now do you bring it everyday because over the course of a season it’s a long season and you need to bring it every week. I think that’s the key and it’s our standard.”

**What did you like from Asante Cleveland to propel him to the top of the depth chart?
“Smart, savvy, veteran, competitor, he’s not shy to be vocal. When you get a guy who’s using his toolbox and you put him in there, he’s playing faster than anybody else.”

**On who he sees stepping up into the Mike James role of catching passes out of the backfield:
“I think we have a backfield with guys who have pretty good ball skills. I really don’t see it like putting a running back back there who’s a ball catcher. I want to put a guy back there who’s a threat both running the ball and catching it out of the backfield because that compliments each other. Duke has ball skills, Dallas Crawford has exceptional ball skills and creates mismatches. We can put him in different places and he’s smart enough to take on a new position and make plays for us, so those two guys are doing a great job for us the first four days.”

**Do you kind of have the mindset of ‘don't ***** it up’ since this offense was so successful last season?
“I don’t know if I have that mindset of ‘don’t ***** it up’. Here’s how I see it. You set goals for yourself. Now what are some of your goals? We want to be the best third-down team in the country. When we hit third-down, we want to be the best. How are you the best at anything? Consistency. We want to be the best goal-line offense. How are we the best? Consistency. If you set your goals and measure what you do by your goals, then everything else plays for itself. The best offense in the country is usually playing for a championship. That’s the way I see it. Ultimately, your offense and your defense and your special teams biggest goal is to win.”

**Who has impressed you the first few days?
“There’s a handful of guys, Up front, a guy like (Brandon) Linder has done a great job. Those guys don’t get the credit sometimes because they’re not catching the ball. I thought that in the perimeter, Allen Hurns has really stepped up his game. And when I say ‘stepped up his game,’ he’s healthy and playing fast. Stephen (Morris) is throwing the ball exceptional and Ryan’s doing a good job too throwing the ball. I’ve been impressed with Beau Sandland and I may have missed a few like Herb (Waters). It’s a good group. You're talking about 10 or 11 guys that are all playing good right now. It’s day four, ask me that question ten days from now.”

**Talk about Malcolm Bunche’s transition from tackle to guard.
“Oh man, that guy can play all five (positions). He’s solid whether he’s at tackle or he’s at guard. It’s interesting because in today’s football the tackle has really isolated himself and become like a skill guy. That’s the good guy about Malcolm is that he can handle the edge stuff or he’s big enough where he can be that guard that can provide that girth in the middle of the line.”

**On the type of tempo to expect from the offense:
“I think what you have to do is have all the tempos. At every moment, the defense should feel the threat that you could snap the ball right now, whether you do it or not. So they get lined up and you put yourselves in position to say ‘ok, they’re in this’. I think that’s the stress you can provide on the defense when you’re always on the ball.”

Transcribed from video at www.hurricanesports.com

Advertisement
Prob reading to much into the first 4 days but it seems that Coley is impressed more so than what he is used to at FSU.

What I took from that interview is "plays fast." That means, until proven otherwise, Coley is going to err on the side of the veteran who he believes will "play fast" (mentally) and net consistent results. That stuff tends to change quickly when the lights go on, though.

Prob reading to much into the first 4 days but it seems that Coley is impressed more so than what he is used to at FSU.

We are pretty friggin' stacked on O this year. Morris as a senior. Duke. That OL group. That WR group. Really the only issues are QB/RB depth.

Advertisement
Why would he have the "don't ***** it up" mentality? We were like 40th last year on offense and we folded against top Defenses. I love what we have coming back on offense and love what we've added. I fully expect the O to put on a clinic this year, but let's not act like they were the '99 Rams last year.

Our media asks the dumbest ******* questions.

Why would he have the "don't ***** it up" mentality? We were like 40th last year on offense and we folded against top Defenses. I love what we have coming back on offense and love what we've added. I fully expect the O to put on a clinic this year, but let's not act like they were the '99 Rams last year.

Our media asks the dumbest ******* questions.
Beat me to it. SMH at that dumb *** question.

Our media asks the dumbest ****ing questions.

Hated that question. So dumb

I'm just excited for the season to start.

I read the coaches media interviews and you can tell they're excited, but it's really all coach speak. It's for the media. I can't wait until the season kicks off and we can see it in action. Less than 30 days!

Advertisement
I'm just excited for the season to start.

I read the coaches media interviews and you can tell they're excited, but it's really all coach speak. It's for the media. I can't wait until the season kicks off and we can see it in action. Less than 30 days!

Seems like they are all holding back on saying, "we are going to kick everybody's *** this year!"
They want to announce it but have to stay subdued.

[video=youtube;RPKfBVCfLqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPKfBVCfLqc[/video]

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back