Colbert to Pats

Advertisement
Good from him! 5 years in the league. A Google search showed his 2020 contract was 825K. He's not buying mansions in Beverly Hills just yet. But he's got to be building up a nice little nest egg if he's smart.
And he's now clearly in pension/benefit status:

Good from him! 5 years in the league. A Google search showed his 2020 contract was 825K. He's not buying mansions in Beverly Hills just yet. But he's got to be building up a nice little nest egg if he's smart.

Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd love to see what percentage of total NFL earnings are invested in capital markets and real estate. I'd guess it's less than 30%.

Gotta buy those Bentley's though.

And he's now clearly in pension/benefit status:

Bingo. That’s the difference maker for those not getting the big salaries.

Advertisement
Gotta be smart and make tough decisions on giving and not giving money to your fam. Just ask Trent Richardson

While I totally agree that's a big part of it, there's also discretionary expenditures and buying more than you need. Maintenance, insurance, property taxes, professional advisor fees, on and on and on all add up really fast. Less money today is a smaller corpus upon which to compound interest over the long run.

While I totally agree that's a big part of it, there's also discretionary expenditures and buying more than you need. Maintenance, insurance, property taxes, professional advisor fees, on and on and on all add up really fast. Less money today is a smaller corpus upon which to compound interest over the long run.
Correct. But I am more referring to the guys who start spending like wild on their first contract. Richardson said his boys spent a million of his own money in his rookie year. I’m just saying that football is not a guarantee. You shouldn’t get wild until your second contract

Advertisement
All this talk of the NFL guys overspending and not investing such a tired talking point. Players smart now a days... they saw the 30 for 30 too.

see (I AM ATHLETE)

Correct. But I am more referring to the guys who start spending like wild on their first contract. Richardson said his boys spent a million of his own money in his rookie year. I’m just saying that football is not a guarantee. You shouldn’t get wild until your second contract

Couldn't agree more. The biggest issue here is having an investment base vs. blowing it all on things that will continue to cost more money than the initial purchase price. It's not even a matter of second contract money. Unless you're getting $100 million in your first five years, you should be spending very little of it until it's time to retire and you know how much you ACTUALLY made.

Buy a nice house. Don't buy a $20 million mansion. Buy a nice Tahoe or Escalade. Don't buy a Bentley. About 70% of the money should go into diversified real estate and public investments.

And for the love of god, don't put your uncle in charge of it all.

If you wanna buy your mom a house go ahead but keep it in your name so if **** hits the fan you have a potential source of income. Property is never a bad investment as long as you’re smart about it

Advertisement
If you wanna buy your mom a house go ahead but keep it in your name so if **** hits the fan you have a potential source of income. Property is never a bad investment as long as you’re smart about it

You just excluded a large portion of the population right there.

He’ll be a starter by mid season. Bill loves guys like AC.

A lot of guys get really bad advice with their money. They invest with professionals who pretend to be their friend to gain trust instead of going to a big company like Charles Schwab, Edward Jones, Fidelity, etc.

Nothing against small independents, but good luck getting your money if they ***** you and spend it on themselves or just make bad investments. You'll get a court judgment. Good luck collecting.

Advertisement
In other ProCanes news, Michael Pinckney was signed by the Chicago Bears on May 13th. A week ago, he was waived by Chicago after just three days as a Bear. After being on New England's practice squad last year (before being suspended for six games at the end of the 2020 season), Pinckney was signed to a reserve/future contract with the Patriots in January. Earlier this spring on March 23rd, Pinckney was waived by the Pats.

Advertisement
Back