Coaching Trees.....

Rellyrell

Heisman Winner
Premium
And the success that comes with it.

I’m a firm believer that a head coach is only as good as the staff he places around him. Even the most narcissistic coaches tend to put great coaches around them to ensure they look good.

I find it interesting that as long as Richt has been coaching, his tree is less than impressive; if I’m being blunt, it’s down right awful.

Richt’s coaching tree consist of:
-Brian VanGorder (**** poor d coordinator of UL & formerly of ND)
-Neil Callaway (former head coach of UAB: 18-42 record as coach)
-Tyson Summers (fired from Georgia Southern and has a coaching record of 5-13)
&
-Mike Bobo (who’s now on the hot seat w Colorado St)

First off, not only is that a short list, but it’s a very **** poor list.

Is a coaching tree really that important to the success of a head coach?

I’m not going to post all of these coaches trees, but go look up Schnelly, JJ, Dennis & Butch’s coaching trees and compare them w Coker, Shannon and Golden’s.

Go look up Saban & Meyer coaching trees and compare it with Richt’s.

I believe one of the reason y Richt has continually faltered and come up short is b/c he has no one to challenge his decisions, nor does he hire ppl he can learn from. Shannon had that same issue and so did Golden.

Honestly, guys, this has me more worried. The two guys who came to Richt w credible resumes were Pruitt and Kul, and neither one lasted more than 2 yrs on his staff.

This, my friends, may be a bigger problem than just a lack of QB development and play calling. This might be a permanent fixture, as I see this being a bigger problem than just “executing on the field.”

I see a guy who’s more concerned w comfortability, then doing what’s necessary to win....which is y his former employer started forcing him to change things.

Advertisement

I’m a firm believer that a head coach is only as good as the staff he places around him. Even the most narcissistic coaches tend to put great coaches around them to ensure they look good.

I find it interesting that as long as Richt has been coaching, his tree is less than impressive; if I’m being blunt, it’s down right awful.

&

I’m not going to post all of these coaches trees, but go look up Schnelly, JJ, Dennis & Butch’s coaching trees and compare them w Coker, Shannon and Golden’s.

I believe one of the reason y Richt has continually faltered and come up short is b/c he has no one to challenge his decisions, nor does he hire ppl he can learn from. Shannon had that same issue and so did Golden.

Honestly, guys, this has me more worried. The two guys who came to Richt w credible resumes were Pruitt and Kul, and neither one lasted more than 2 yrs on his staff.

This, my friends, may be a bigger problem than just a lack of QB development and play calling. This might be a permanent fixture, as I see this being a bigger problem than just “executing on the field.”

I see a guy who’s more concerned w comfortability, then doing what’s necessary to win....which is y his former employer started forcing him to change things.

Awesome post frat. The part I highlighted is what I said from the jump. Richt wants loyalty above all else. Almost as if he did what was necessary to win a natty it would make him a sinner. I don’t get it. Dude has every attribute to be a multi-natty HC except one thing. A killer instinct at every phase of his job. ***** is too nice. Trust I would want my kids to play for Richt as a father figure but all these parents are lining their kids to play for ****-pan and Lyer for a reason. 2 total scum buckets but they get results. That’s how the real world is. That’s how successful Fortune 500 businesses are run while we over here running non- for profits like Goodwill and Habitat for Humanity.

&

so yeah, that tree didn't have a lot of guys who......branched out

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

But that list is telling

&

I see a guy who’s more concerned w comfortability, then doing what’s necessary to win....which is y his former employer started forcing him to change things

Advertisement
Shannon wasn't the same, he had 0 support and very little funding so he was handcuffed on who he could bring in.

Golden's inital staff offensively was actually good, but No'D is just such a terrible OC

Advertisement
You forgot, Jeremy Pruitt, Todd Grantham, Kirby Smart, Brian schottenhiemer,

Kirby Smart and Pruitt are from Saban’s tree since they came from Bama to become head coaches; furthermore, Smart was a GA for one season at UGA and Pruitt stayed one season b4 being forced out.

Schottenheimer is not a head coach and spent most of his time in the NFL prior to coming to UGA.

Grantham never became a head coach.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can't upvote this enough. The fact that virtually none of the assistants that Richt has hired has ever gone on to any sort of success is an absolute indictment. 15 years at UGA- and Mike Bobo is the best you can come up with?

Let's look at his mentor's coaching tree. No one has learned a **** thing about coaching from Richt.

bowden_tree_medium.JPG

I can't upvote this enough. The fact that virtually none of the assistants that Richt has hired has ever gone on to any sort of success is an absolute indictment. 15 years at UGA- and Mike Bobo is the best you can come up with?

Let's look at his mentor's coaching tree. No one has learned a **** thing about coaching from Richt.

View attachment 66978

Thank.....you!

OP 100% correct.

15 years as a HC in the SEC with a huge budget and his coaching tree is a complete joke.

Of course, this was pointed out at the time of his hiring and the lemmings ignored it then so Im sure they will excuse it away now.

Advertisement
OP 100% correct.

15 years as a HC in the SEC with a huge budget and his coaching tree is a complete joke.

Of course, this was pointed out at the time of his hiring and the lemmings ignored it then so Im sure they will excuse it away now.

Even if a coach doesn't win national titles, if he is innovative and hires smart people, he should have some proteges who went on to success at other programs. If you have the stomach for it and aren't afraid of realizing that Miami made a massive mistake, look at this list of coaches with the best coaching trees.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footballs-best-coaching-trees

#2 Mike Leach
#6 Butch Da Gaaaawd Davis:
Greg Schiano
Chuck Pagano
Rob Chudzinski
Larry Coker
Curtis Johnson
Randy Shannon
Mario Cristobal

#8007- Mark Rick (aka Mr. I Dont Believe In Offenses That Arent More Than 30 years Old)
Mike Bobo
Jon Rick

Advertisement
Back