COACHING FIRINGS

Advertisement
I don’t know if Baker is going or not. Like you said - it’s just a lot of moving or potentially moving parts with Banda as the lynchpin.

Right. And my point was not whether you are I have certainty on whether Baker is leaving, just that nearly every Miami fan believes that Baker needs to go, and that any replacement of Rumph or other position coaches WITHOUT the replacement of Baker will be ineffective.

That's all. You are one of the smarter and fairer fans who posts on here. We all doubt whether a "cornerback coach" replacement will accomplish anything of significance with Manny remaining as HC and Baker remaining as DC. And, in comparison, when you and I have been reading Gaytor Tears for years, and see how Gaytor fans feel about Grantham...I mean, I wonder if Gaytor fans are super-pumped for their "quick action" in replacing a couple of position coaches while retaining Grantham.

Food for thought. Sometimes "quick action" is not the best action.

no but what is the point of not publicly firing your ****** defensive staff unless you are trying to be a good friend and not publicly embarrass them?

once again, manny is trying to be the nice political guy

Yes, if only we had waited until after the bowl game last year, Enos never would have been embarrassed. No, it certainly wasn't the stats or performance of Miami's offense that made it obvious Enos would be fired. It was ONLY the timing of the announcement that allowed the rest of the college football world to conclude that Enos had performed poorly.

Look, the ONLY guy on Miami's defense who could POSSIBLY be given a chance to find another job with a good recommendation letter from Manny is Banda. Manny is not giving Rumph or Baker an extra couple of days in order to trick everyone else in college football into thinking that they have done a bang-up job.

I don’t think that most think that. It’s obviously a process handled discreetly & in advance but there hasn’t even been a little bit of smoke. Seems like any changes that are going to be made will be similar to what the Gayduhs are doing. Blake stays and others like Banda, Rumph & Stroud are gone.

And you have concluded all of this because "no smoke"?

I don't know their names, I just figured Miami was like all these other big programs where the donors and board have huge pull over HC hirings and things within the program. I guess I was wrong and we let a terrible AD who doesn't know anything about team building or football in General hire a HC without interviewing anyone else. If I was a major donor and our AD hired a HC without discussing it with the board and getting their approval I would of pulled my money.

Look, I'm trying very hard not to argue with you, so let's see if we can settle this down and agree on a couple of things.

Miami has not really EVER had the "mega donor" boosters like you see at the big state schools of the SEC/Big 10/Big 12 etc. And as I have pointed out on other threads, Miami has a disproportionately large Board of Trustees (when compared to the size of our school, number of our colleges/schools, etc.) with most of them having very little background in athletics.

I can agree with you on almost all of your assessment of Blake. He is a terrible AD, but when I started mentioning this YEARS AGO, I had a bunch of porsters tell me "Richt/IPF", as if those two things outweighed everything else that Blake has done poorly for years.

I have no criticism of your point about deciding to pull donor money. If you go back and look at Blake's response over the last couple of years (when Miami fans questioned coaching hires/retention), Blake (like the ticket scumbag that he is) usually reverts to his talking points about "the Hurricane Club raised a record amount of money" or "we sold out all of our season tickets faster than ever", while claiming monetary credit for Hard Rock renovations paid for...NOT BY UM.

So, yeah, even if we agreed on how a BOT or boosters might be involved with Athletics at other schools, I'm just trying to convey to you that this is NOT how it has been working lately with Blake. That's all. It doesn't make me some self-appointed expert on everything, I'm just trying to share my knowledge of how the athletic department at UM runs, based on my knowledge and the knowledge I gain from friends who work at UM.

I'll conclude with this. Giving your AD a ton of power is GREAT when you have a great AD who knows what the **** he is doing (and is smart enough not to rub that power in everyone's faces). But it does not work out so well when you have a dopey beta AD like Blake.

Great Miami ADs since 1980 - Sam Jankovich (who fought with Foote/BOT frequently, because he had the power and didn't back down)
Good Miami ADs since 1980 - Doc Mallios, Paul Dee (who did not fight as much, but also didn't accomplish as much)
Terrible Miami ADs since 1980 - Dave "Maggot" Maggard, Kirby Hocuntt, The Shermanator, Beta Blake

And I've had the pleasure (or curse) to have met all of these men.

I hope our next AD comes close to being like Sam.

Advertisement
Right. And my point was not whether you are I have certainty on whether Baker is leaving, just that nearly every Miami fan believes that Baker needs to go, and that any replacement of Rumph or other position coaches WITHOUT the replacement of Baker will be ineffective.

That's all. You are one of the smarter and fairer fans who posts on here. We all doubt whether a "cornerback coach" replacement will accomplish anything of significance with Manny remaining as HC and Baker remaining as DC. And, in comparison, when you and I have been reading Gaytor Tears for years, and see how Gaytor fans feel about Grantham...I mean, I wonder if Gaytor fans are super-pumped for their "quick action" in replacing a couple of position coaches while retaining Grantham.

Food for thought. Sometimes "quick action" is not the best action.
My wife tells me that all the time, I say that sounds like a her problem.

Riiiight.

So you think that the Gaytors only started talking to T-Rob AFTER they fired English, and that Manny didn't reach out to T-Rob SOLELY BECAUSE Rumph's firing has not yet been announced? And that the Gaytors acted "quickly", while nobody at Miami has picked up a phone?

This is gross and inaccurate oversimplification at its finest.
Huh? I never said or implied ANY of that. You keep making **** up. Manny has had since at least North Carolina to figure this out (more likely he's known he wanted to replace Rumph all year and could've reached out to T-Rob when Muschamp was fired), Florida possibly has been looking the same amount of time, either way BOTH sides have had plenty of time to make a move and either one that didn't dropped the ball.

It sounds like he's going to sign with Florida, and I doubt he's been negotiating with them for several weeks (aka since UNC) which means Manny probably had a window to make a move which he didn't do.

Now, this is all assuming Manny actually tried to get T-Rob and I have no idea if he did or not.....that's why I said IF in my post.... it's a hypothetical (probably a dumb one but whatever).

BS85 said:
Jesus ******* Christ. If we were in it and lose him because Manny took forever, I'm going to lose my ******* mind.

Why do people think T-Rob would choose to come to UM over UF? He has the familiarity, will likely get more $$$ and will be working with better initial talent (speaking more to CB than S of course since our incoming class at S is sick)

Advertisement
1609600303225.png

just posting. nothing more, nothing less.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back