COACHING FIRINGS

Richt thought more highly of Banda and Patke to offer them dc than Jess?
Sounds like it. There's lots not to like about Manny but not naming Simpson the DC isn't one of them (and I'm a big fan of Simpson and his work with the DL). Richt, who hired Jess, named Patke and Banda as Co-DCs, that had nothing to do with Manny cuz Manny had already accepted the Temple gig. I remember when Richt made that decision and was disappointed because neither Patke or Banda deserved it at the time. It reeked of a decision designed to prevent both form leaving with Manny.

Advertisement
What I took from the Simpson story is that the 'in group' with Manny at the time consisted of Banda and Patke. Now including Baker. When Simpson was here his position group at least executed the fundamentals of the position from a strategic and technical standpoint. What's disturbing is that the defense currently appears to be utterly lacking from a fundamental standpoint. So the conclusion is that Manny didn't value a coach who TAUGHT his position, and also had a wealth of head coaching experience albeit at the high school level (at a powerhouse program). So that rather than banking on fundamentals and experience, Manny instead opted to empower 'disciples' who are subpar teachers, and collectively are mediocre recruiters.

Last edited:
anyway back to the original question. I’ve posted this is another thread but I’ve been told by a credible person to expect at least 2 changes on the defensive coaching side of the ball, and they did not rule out more. The hold up is that right now they are still talking to other candidates and plan to do interviews as more as other coordinators and coaches get fired from other schools.

expect finality and announcements in the next week or two is what I’ve been told.
Not sure how I feel about hiring coaches that were fired unless the school brought in a new HC who cleaned house. At the end, if we don’t hire a new DC and run the same bull**** we did the last 6 years, nothing will change.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Timing makes sense to me. As ruthless as college football can be, it would be pretty tough to announce firings in the week between Christmas and the New Year. I can absolutely see things start to leak out starting tomorrow or Sunday though.
I respectfully disagree here. It doesn’t matter if you get fired on New Years Eve of 2 days latter, it still sucks. As far as timing goes the only thing that makes sense to me is as someone mentioned above that if contracts require us to wait until after a certain date to make the change to protect the schools intere$t. On a side note, after our defensive performance against UNC, Saban would’ve fired who he was going to fire on Christmas Eve and then told that coach’s young kids that Santa didn’t exist.

Even though you sound legit, that’s still second hand, at best, information, but I’ll take your word for it. He wanted the DC job with no experience? No wonder he was ****ed off.

He always seemed like one of thise guys to me, and I’ve known plenty, that take a job in south Florida and hate it the whole time they’re here. No matter who their boss is. They just don’t like the area. Too different from where they’re from.

Also, you’re basically saying he was bitter and disgruntled. I’m sure that will really help Jess Simpson find a job after he gets fired this season. Hopefully he keeps that in check and stops blabbing about it so he can get another job.

Anyway, I have no personal animus towards him, but he’s not a cane, sounds like he will never be a cane no matter who the coach is, so as long as he’s not a cane, he’s dead to me.
Jesus Christ. You’re on a football gossip board *****ing about gossip. Jess Simpson was a competent coach so it’s unsurprising he didn’t fit in with the mayor and his happy hour cronny staff.

Sounds like it. There's lots not to like about Manny but not naming Simpson the DC isn't one of them (and I'm a big fan of Simpson and his work with the DL). Richt, who hired Jess, named Patke and Banda as Co-DCs, that had nothing to do with Manny cuz Manny had already accepted the Temple gig. I remember when Richt made that decision and was disappointed because neither Patke or Banda deserved it at the time. It reeked of a decision designed to prevent both form leaving with Manny.
That, and he didn't think Simpson would make a good DC.

Said he didn’t want to change the defense. He knew if he hired Jess it would have changed the defense and they’d be fully replacing a staff because Patke and Banda wouldn’t be there
If that's the case, and Simpson felt being shut out by these guys, that would not have changed because Manny was gone it seems. Richt or not it sounds like he still would have been a disgruntled employee.

Advertisement
Watching the Peach Bowl, I see why posters say that Marcus Freeman would be a great DC hire for us. Brings an aggressiveness that Manny would love but it also looks like all 11 guys play as a cohesive unit so it tells me he and his assistant coaches are good teachers.

Last edited:
@NicKane dumb is your opinion. I'm sure you have zero ability to google the actual recovery time or the ability to ask someone who does these surgeries daily on athletes. Depending on the severity of the tear its 6-9 months of rehab. If you can't tell by Kings work ethic that he will do everything to be back before Aug then I'm not sure you have been watching.

Advertisement
We seriously have people on here defending Patke? Why? Because he’s done a decent job in one of the many things he’s tasked with doing?

Our KO blocking is routinely non existent. I can’t remember the last time we’ve had decent blocking that allows our KR the chance to get past the 20 yard line. We’ve yet to identify or develop a single dude that can reliably catch a punt. We’re probably the only program in college football that can say that.

If needing to be stripped of half of your coaching duties is a good job then Patke has been stellar and is our HC in waiting

Advertisement
Back