COACHING FIRINGS

hard pass as a DC. We need someone who can actually call plays
He called plays for 4 years at SC and learned Under Muschamp. He just had a rough year in 2019 but he's had success. Regardless your not going to find a quality Vet play caller to come in and become a Co DC with Baker... T-Rob would probably be our Best option with something like that

Advertisement
Baker taking a demotion to LB coach and co-dc without playcalling duties would be something I haven’t considered happening.

If that was me though.. I’d just say fire me. Career suicide in the coaching profession is willingly taking a demotion and hanging around. You’re more likely to rebound being fired.

Why would we keep him on to coach Lbers? They’re our worst spot on defense.

We dont need a splashy big name hire. We need somebody who can develop players and implement an aggressive scheme that doesnt completly disregard gap integrity. Give me somebody from the Gary Patterson coaching tree or an assistant from the NFL like Winston Moss.

The DC doesnt have to be a recruiting god but he needs to be smart enough to surround himself with recruiters. T-Rob is like Corey Raymond at L$U. They are good secondary coaches and excellent recruiters but they cannot coordinate a defense. Don't hire a DC simply because they can recruit...thats what assistants are for...

Advertisement
T-Rob would make sense if Manny wanted to go the Co-DC route but you are putting a band-aid on a broken leg (although our DB's and recruiting would be greatly improved). As an aside, assuming Stroud moves back into an off-field role, I wonder if Jess Simpson would come back given the Falcons coaching changes.

If they think that part of the problem has been cb recruiting (which it has) then getting better talent might allow the defense to play less soft and be more aggressive playing more man. Maybe they are not trusting the talent back there so try to be more conservative with play calling.

Advertisement
Because Manure doesn’t have the nuts to fire his Buddy cause he knows he will never find another job after his fiasco here at a P5 school.
Can we please stop with the assumption that Baker and Manny are tied together at the hip? They overlapped for one year at Louisiana Tech and Baker was a GA at Texas when Manny was a DC there. Let's stop pretending that these guys have all of their holiday meals together.

Can we please stop with the assumption that Baker and Manny are tied together at the hip? They overlapped for one year at Louisiana Tech and Baker was a GA at Texas when Manny was a DC there. Let's stop pretending that these guys have all of their holiday meals together.
I agree with you, I think the bigger assumption is Manny will be unwilling to change his scheme, hence baker staying.

Fortunately for us all, we are going to find out this offseason whether they are or are not.

Advertisement
Why not? Seems like the most realistic option in my
Asking someone to take a demotion is worse than firing them.

Maybe for the guy getting demoted but I’m more worried about getting this cluster**** of a defense fixed ALOT more than Blake Bakers feelings.

He had his chance and he failed miserably.Someone else’s turn to see what they can do Bakers feelings be damned.

Advertisement
I just wish we can develop someone reliable instead of having portal mercenaries patch things up for only a year.
You do that by getting competent coaches who can not only recruit but evaluate and develop the guys they are recruiting something we’ve been unable to do for years now.
Signing the McCloud and Jennings of the world isn’t gonna change anything.

Maybe for the guy getting demoted but I’m more worried about getting this cluster**** of a defense fixed ALOT more than Blake Bakers feelings.

He had his chance and he failed miserably.Someone else’s turn to see what they can do Bakers feelings be damned.
Well Baker might not get fired... My scenario is if Baker gets demoted to CO-DC and they bring in a another CO-DC/DB Coach to call plays or help out. Were not going to get an experienced DC unless we give Them full control over the defense and let him pick some of his staff. If it's a CO DC role then Travaris Robinson from South Carolina is the perfect fit.

1st - He's got 5 years of experience calling defense in the SEC.
2nd - He's got almost 10 years of experience as a DB Coach in the SEC.
3rd - He's an elite recruiter
4th - He's from Miami

If we're looking for a CO-DC then he would be Option#1 in my book

Advertisement
Back