Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

After 2024: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $25,670,000 (85% of 30.2M);

After 2025: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $19,380,000 (85% of 22.8M);

After 2026: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $13,005,000 (85% of 15.3M);

After 2027: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $6,545,000 (85% of 7.7M).

Fish just signed a 7 year, $54.3M contract. It's also backloaded. for argument's sake, though, let's evenly divide it, and assume the same 85% buyout. After one year, that buyout figures to be $39.6M after 2024.

So you're talking a $66M in buyouts after 2024 if they want Fisch, and almost certainly over $8m/year in salary. I am also aware that buyouts often end up getting negotiated in court to something lower, or a long-term payout with financing. Still, that scenario just became insanely expensive for UF.

@TheOriginalCane lmk if you're seeing different figures.

I believe that your figures are accurate. Gator fans have frequently spoken of the daunting nature of Slingblade Billy's buyout.

Advertisement
I do not believe that is a certainty. I think a lot would depend on how Fisch is treated at Washington and whether Florida makes changes at the Presidential and AD level to make that job worthwhile.

After two or three years at Washington? Perhaps it would be more likely. But after one year? If that was Fisch's plan, he could have just signed the extension that Arizona offered him.
I think he stays at Arizona if the Pac 12 did not blow up. Depends on what he negotiated as the buyout. Dude is all Gator.

They are going to want one of their own this time around and momma may be calling. AD isn't going anywhere because they are good in every sport other than football and draw well in every sport, too.

I think he stays at Arizona if the Pac 12 did not blow up. Depends on what he negotiated as the buyout. Dude is all Gator.

They are going to want one of their own this time around and momma may be calling. AD isn't going anywhere because they are good in every sport other than football and draw well in every sport, too.
While I agree he is "all Gator," Fisch's reputation isn't that of a recruiter. There's little reason to believe that he'd be any better at drawing players than Billy is; and, if the buyouts happen, he won't have the same NIL money either.

At least for a few years, they're in a precarious position to be targeting Fisch. The numbers game is not in their favor.

After 2024: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $25,670,000 (85% of 30.2M);

After 2025: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $19,380,000 (85% of 22.8M);

After 2026: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $13,005,000 (85% of 15.3M);

After 2027: Billy Napier’s buyout would be $6,545,000 (85% of 7.7M).

Fish just signed a 7 year, $54.3M contract. It's also backloaded. for argument's sake, though, let's evenly divide it, and assume the same 85% buyout. After one year, that buyout figures to be $39.6M after 2024.

So you're talking a $66M in buyouts after 2024 if they want Fisch, and almost certainly over $8m/year in salary. I am also aware that buyouts often end up getting negotiated in court to something lower, or a long-term payout with financing. Still, that scenario just became insanely expensive for UF.

@TheOriginalCane lmk if you're seeing different figures.
Your numbers look right. Trust me on this they can find the money if they want to do so.

They haven't had one of their own since Spurrier.

They are as desperate as us for a contender in football. They draw very wealth in every single sport and they have a much better revenue deal. They have some pretty wealthy alums they can tap.

Wait till Sunbelt Billy goes 3-9 this year.

Advertisement
While I agree he is "all Gator," Fisch's reputation isn't that of a recruiter. There's little reason to believe that he'd be any better at drawing players than Billy is; and, if the buyouts happen, he won't have the same NIL money either.

At least for a few years, they're in a precarious position to be targeting Fisch. The numbers game is not in their favor.
They can do better, and it is a hefty bill, but you watch. There will be mutual interest.

U-Dub has been to the playoffs twice and finished ranked in the Top 12 five times since 2016.

The Turds have three Top 12 finishes and no playoff bids over the same span.

UF is one of the most overrated programs in all of College Football

U-Dub has been to the playoffs twice and finished ranked in the Top 12 five times since 2016.

The Turds have three Top 12 finishes and no playoff bids over the same span.

UF is one of the most overrated programs in all of College Football
None of that really matters to coaches. Coaches believe they are good and can win anywhere. I'm sure he thinks if he can win at Arizona, he can win at Florida. It doesn't matter what Dan Mullen or Billy Napier did.

Cough

IMG_0169.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s Kirby’s defense. He can be bad like Kevin Steele was here, go there and be great, and everyone will think he’s competent.

It was also Muschamp’s defense in South Carolina.

He took that unit deep into the 100’s in multiple categories.

I’m not saying the guy can’t develop and grow in 10yrs, he absolutely could. I think his performance was so brutal that it’s been almost 7yrs since he got a shot at it again.

Just an interview but obviously writing is on the wall. If not the chargers, probably someone else.

Imagine Sherrone gets the nod after Harbaugh leaves.

It was also Muschamp’s defense in South Carolina.

He took that unit deep into the 100’s in multiple categories.

I’m not saying the guy can’t develop and grow in 10yrs, he absolutely could. I think his performance was so brutal that it’s been almost 7yrs since he got a shot at it again.
It could be Muschamp was a poor head coach. South Carolina has never been anything special. It doesn't take a whole lot for the wheels to come off. It's not like Spurrier or Holtz were competing for national titles. It's going to take a lot of incompetence for Georgia to be bad. Muschamp is already there so there will be cohesiveness in play. I suspect neither forgot to coach but simply didn't have the right players at South Carolina.

Advertisement
Back