Coaching Coaching Carousel 2023-2024 - Not Miami Related

Advertisement
Harbaugh is going to fail big time in the NFL this go around.
That’s just silly to say - he’s been a winner everywhere he’s gone and while I don’t love Herbert as a QB he’s still a top 10 QB in the league.

They have a young nucleus of
QB Justin Herbert
WR Josh Palmer
WR Quinten Johnston
TE Donald Parham
LT Rashawn Slater

LB Kenneth Murray
DE Joey Bosa (health issue for sure)
CB Asante Samuel Jr
S Derwin James

Advertisement
Harbaugh is going to fail big time in the NFL this go around.

Disagree. He may not win the SB but he has an young elite QB, something he hasn’t had since his one real season with Andrew Luck at Stanford.

They are in bad shape with the salary cap this year, but they got young elite talent at QB, LT (Slater), and Edge (Bosa).

Plus he got a huge contract and an ownership that doesn’t have the money to fire him over a bad year or two.

Any defensive assistant would be crazy to pass up working/learning from Wink Martindale.

Dude has like 5 guys that worked under him in the last 3 years that are current NFL HC/DC (Macdonald, Minter, Zachary Orr, Anthony Waever, Dennard Wilson).

Plus not to mention the number of game shows he hosted.

Advertisement
HC to TE Coach wow

And so it continues with active HCs bolting to other gigs as assistant coach. These type of moves are bizarre but it makes sense as the GSU coach is at this point one bad season away from getting canned. He is a highly regarded coach and has had some good assistants work under him, but sometimes this does not translate into wins. Now he goes to an SEC program and he can parlay that position and his HC experience into a bigger HC gig in a few years. Makes sense to me.
Probably similar reason why Jason Candle is reportedly sniffing around too (also, Sean Lewis last year).

Last edited:
Advertisement
And so it continues with active HCs bolting to other gigs as assistant coach. These type of moves are bizarre but it makes sense as the GSU coach is at this point one bad season away from getting canned. He is a highly regarded coach and has had some good assistants work under him, but sometimes this does not translate into wins. Now he goes to an SEC program and he can parlay that position and his HC experience into a bigger HC in a few years. Makes sense to me.
Probably similar reason why Jason Candle is reportedly sniffing around too (also, Sean Lewis last year).
Very different from Sean Lewis, Wommack and (potentially) Candle IMHO. Those guys left for coordinators job, Elliott left to be a position coach and I suspect there is something personal to him going back to USCe.

In fact, I read somewhere he always lived in Columbia and he commuted to work for 200 miles every time.

And so it continues with active HCs bolting to other gigs as assistant coach. These type of moves are bizarre but it makes sense as the GSU coach is at this point one bad season away from getting canned. He is a highly regarded coach and has had some good assistants work under him, but sometimes this does not translate into wins. Now he goes to an SEC program and he can parlay that position and his HC experience into a bigger HC in a few years. Makes sense to me.

Or he will take Pete Lembo path. Jump around only getting Position jobs then go back to HC G5 school.

Advertisement
Very different from Sean Lewis, Wommack and (potentially) Candle IMHO. Those guys left for coordinators job, Elliott left to be a position coach and I suspect there is something personal to him going back to USCe.

In fact, I read somewhere he always lived in Columbia and he commuted to work for 200 miles every time.

Wow.
That's quite a commute!

Advertisement
Back