Coaching Carousel 2021-2022 - Not Miami Related (locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Thanks for posting. Coach Harry "Big Jeff" Jefferson was the pride of Bluefield State in the 1920s. He won Black college titles for Bluefield back then. The 1927 team beat the best A&T team that Coach Lonnie Byarm fielded for the Aggies in the 1920s. That game was played in Winston-Salem. Bluefield won 27-7. That was A&T's only loss. That was Bluefield's so-called Wonder Team. They had several star players. My favorite was "Bad News" Bluford, a running back, sometimes QB, and, I believe, DB. Coach Byarm, a WWI veteran, studied with Hugo Bezdek of Arkansas and Penn State fame. He was forced out at the end of 1929.

A&T hired "Big Jeff" Jefferson in 1930, but he couldn't beat Leo Townsend who coached his rivals from Durham - North Carolina College for Negroes. Dr. James Shepard, NCC Founder and President, hired Townsend from Durham's Hillside High School. Today, Hillside and West Charlotte are the only historically Black high schools that remain high schools in the state of North Carolina. The rest were either closed or turned into elementary/jr. High schools at the start of school desegregation. Both have remarkable histories. President Bluford at A&T let Coach Jefferson go at the end of the 1931 season, but he landed at Virginia State College for Negroes in 1932. In 1938, Big Jeff and the Trojans ended Morgan States' 54- game win streak with a 15-0 shutout of the Bears. Eddie Hurt's Morgan teams were transcendent.

Advertisement
Thanks for posting. Coach Harry "Big Jeff" Jefferson was the pride of Bluefield State in the 1920s. He won Black college titles for Bluefield back then. The 1927 team beat the best A&T team that Coach Lonnie Byarm fielded for the Aggies in the 1920s. That game was played in Winston-Salem. Bluefield won 27-7. That was A&T's only loss. That was Bluefield's so-called Wonder Team. They had several star players. My favorite was "Bad News" Bluford, a running back, sometimes QB, and, I believe, DB. Coach Byarm, a WWI veteran, studied with Hugo Bezdek of Arkansas and Penn State fame. He was forced out at the end of 1929.

A&T hired "Big Jeff" Jefferson in 1930, but he couldn't beat Leo Townsend who coached his rivals from Durham - North Carolina College for Negroes. Dr. James Shepard, NCC Founder and President, hired Townsend from Durham's Hillside High School. Today, Hillside and West Charlotte are the only historically Black high schools that remain high schools in the state of North Carolina. The rest were either closed or turned into elementary/jr. High schools at the start of school desegregation. Both have remarkable histories. President Bluford at A&T let Coach Jefferson go at the end of the 1931 season, but he landed at Virginia State College for Negroes in 1932. In 1938, Big Jeff and the Trojans ended Morgan States' 54- game win streak with a 15-0 shutout of the Bears. Eddie Hurt's Morgan teams were transcendent.
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing!😍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back