Coaching Carousel 2021-2022 - Not Miami Related (locked)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
He is, it’s been known for about 2 weeks now.

Salavea’a, McClendon, Mirabal & TRob are confirmed to be officially on staff, just haven’t been announced yet.

It’s still speculative as to whether or not Field will remain as the TE’s coach or possibly move to an off field role, but in all likelihood he will remain the TE’s coach.

Jim Mastro most likely will be the RB’s coach, but that hasn’t been confirmed yet.

Dennis Smith former coach at FIU with Mario & former LA Tech ST’s coach will be on staff as well, it’s not known in what capacity exactly as of now, but it’s a possibility he’ll be a ST’s coach for us as well, if not, he’ll be an analyst.

We’re still waiting on the OC, DC, OLB’s coach & another DB coach, it could be Rod Chance or possibly Keith Heyward.

By next week we should know who the remaining coaches are.
Appreciate the info as always..

Advertisement
Chip Lindsey is another Todd Graham disciple as well, just like Gus Malzahn was.

He got his first college job under Malzahn at Auburn & came back 5 years later as his OC after he was OC for Todd Graham at AZ St.
One thing I learned from this series is that Todd Graham is the freekin Genghis Khan of college football coaches. His seeds are everywhere!

Likens is a guy I would have been happy if they retained. He has a sterling record as a WR coach and signed a nice group of blue chip receivers during his two seasons here.

No offense, but you want Mario and his $8M+ staff that's being built to beat the Bama's of the world to have a WR coach who coached at Cal and ASU at his best stops, who's best opportunity two years ago was to work for Manny Diaz, and who's market value today is to take a position coach job with glorified titles at an American Athletic Conference school?

I know some of you have never followed a big time program when it's really trying, so I get it... but we're aiming a lot higher. And I LIKE coach Likens and thought he did a fine job here. But we are taking this isht to another level.

Maybe because I've just never tracked this closely, but seems like a really large amount of NFL position coaches coming back to college this year. Makes me think;

1. College assistant salaries are spiking relative to NFL.
2. College Assistant quality of life (recruiting, year round calendar, coddling high schoolers, etc.) Isn't as bad as it used to be.
3. The spike in coordinator salaries + the number of schools able to pay the going rate = it's a faster career path than NFL assistant to Coordinator to HC.

What do you all think is luring these guys back?

Maybe because I've just never tracked this closely, but seems like a really large amount of NFL position coaches coming back to college this year.

alpha phi news GIF

Advertisement
Maybe because I've just never tracked this closely, but seems like a really large amount of NFL position coaches coming back to college this year. Makes me think;

2. College Assistant quality of life (recruiting, year round calendar, coddling high schoolers, etc.) Isn't as bad as it used to be.
3. The spike in coordinator salaries + the number of schools able to pay the going rate = it's a faster career path than NFL assistant to Coordinator to HC.

Salaries for sure.

In some cases (Tosh and Oregon, Des and UVA), coaches are choosing "promotions" and prior relationships with head coaches to get back in college football, which I assume is froth with contract bonuses.

I always figured NFL coaching to be more "grinding" on a day to day, and while college coaching can be exhausting in it's own way (recruiting), certain personalities probably appreciate the the communal/relationship developing part of it relative to the NFL.

He is, it’s been known for about 2 weeks now.

Salavea’a, McClendon, Mirabal & TRob are confirmed to be officially on staff, just haven’t been announced yet.

It’s still speculative as to whether or not Field will remain as the TE’s coach or possibly move to an off field role, but in all likelihood he will remain the TE’s coach.

Jim Mastro most likely will be the RB’s coach, but that hasn’t been confirmed yet.

Dennis Smith former coach at FIU with Mario & former LA Tech ST’s coach will be on staff as well, it’s not known in what capacity exactly as of now, but it’s a possibility he’ll be a ST’s coach for us as well, if not, he’ll be an analyst.

We’re still waiting on the OC, DC, OLB’s coach & another DB coach, it could be Rod Chance or possibly Keith Heyward.

By next week we should know who the remaining coaches are.
Is Dennis Smith known as a good ST coach? It feels like we have criminally under coached our special teams (other than identifying and acquiring borregales and hedley I don't think think the previous staff coached up the ST's much)

dt-cash.gif

CFB is simply a better gig overall if you can hack it on the recruiting trail

Advertisement
No offense, but you want Mario and his $8M+ staff that's being built to beat the Bama's of the world to have a WR coach who coached at Cal and ASU at his best stops, who's best opportunity two years ago was to work for Manny Diaz, and who's market value today is to take a position coach job with glorified titles at an American Athletic Conference school?

I know some of you have never followed a big time program when it's really trying, so I get it... but we're aiming a lot higher. And I LIKE coach Likens and thought he did a fine job here. But we are taking this isht to another level.
The WR coach is just going to be the guy who was in Oregon with Mario anyway. It’s hardly like we’re breaking the bank to bring in some superstar position coach. I think fans have the idea that Mario is bringing some kind of all star team here but that’s not really the case. The coordinators will likely be big names but a lot of the position coach candidates are guys we already have or guys who were Mario’s Oregon staff.

The WR coach is just going to be the guy who was in Oregon with Mario anyway. It’s hardly like we’re breaking the bank to bring in some superstar position coach. I think fans have the idea that Mario is bringing some kind of all star team here but that’s not really the case. The coordinators will likely be big names but a lot of the position coach candidates are guys we already have or guys who were Mario’s Oregon staff.

Rough take, amigo. Are you just a mopey-*** mope? Those days are over. You are woefully uninformed, misguided and wrong. Mario is cherry-picking and big game hunting.

Have you ever made a $1M salary? No? He has. Bryan McClendon is a home run hire. Zero question.

McClendon (that's his name btw, since you clearly don't know who he is) isn't just a "WR coach" or a "guy." There is a reason he was given the opportunity to be an OC in the SEC, and has been the staff member chosen to be elevated to interim head coach at both UGA and Oregon during transitions. Look at his career path, look at the titles (AHC, OC, Co-OC, IHC, RC, RGC, PGC) he's repeatedly earned at every stop:

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 11.19.54 PM.png

BTW, he's only 38. He's a future HC.

And he's a 5-star recruiter. About as good as it gets:

Why Bryan McClendon makes sense for Miami from a recruiting standpoint: The state of Georgia is one of the most talent rich states in the country for producing college football talent. Adding McClendon to the staff would help the Hurricanes make some in-roads in that state. The list of recruits that McClendon has been either the primary or secondary recruiter for is staggering: 5-star RB Isaiah Crowell, 5-star RB Keith Marshall, 5-star DE Lorenzo Carter, 5-star RB Sony Michel, five-star RB Nick Chubb, four-star RB Todd Gurley, and four-star CB Jaycee Horn. McClendon is an elite recruiter.

Here is the full list of his best trail wins. He's recruited double digit top 100 ranked players, including five 5-stars (he was the PR on all 5). I had to shrink the font size and take three different screenshots just to get all the 4 and 5 stars in here:

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 11.27.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 11.27.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 11.27.58 PM.png

Again, major fail on this one. Now apologize to this savage.

Last edited:
I’ll criticize Mario if I think he makes a lazy hire. I’ll gladly do it and give you my opinion

McClendon - if he’s not the best - is a top 5 WR coach in CFB when you weigh his coaching ability and his recruiting ability together.

He’s a killer recruiter coming back to the southeast where his roots are. Former SEC offensive coordinator. Young. He’s the full package.

Advertisement
You can tell who does and doesn't do any homework about this stuff

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back